Need some thoughts please.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
lol, this whole thing is too much. God, you guys are so easy. Let me know if you guys end up getting that drink.

I just read the reply today. Sometimes I forget to go back and view post. Then as I moved on down I saw the OP apologizing for his earlier post, that I just read today. All is good.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Steady Eddie
I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way, please forgive me. I've just sprained my ankle and had a tooth pulled in the same day so my mood has been more on the "irritable" side of things. Anyhow, I did take your comment saying "I'm confused" as if you were calling my bluff or thought I was lying, I do not lie. I am not sure which post made you confused about my experience but I did dig through my old threads to try and figure it out.
Best guess is it is the one where I am talking about my different types of OTR driving that I have done. All of that is true and verifiable at about 21 months worth.

So where did I get my aviation experience?
1. 6 years in military aviation
2. 4.5 years in private aviation where I worked my way into management, got tired of the politics and decided to change occupations.
3. Started driving, tried reefer on a dedicated run, left for a company hauling drop deck trailers, that company was terrible so I went back to the first company, not much money being made so I switched over to Tyson Foods, decided I wanted to team drive so I got an old work buddy to join me in expediting, did that for one month and made no money because the owner would not get the truck fixed (previous team had hit a deer and the owner did not want to repair the damage, this put us out of service quite a bit), left expediting to go to a team only company, made excellent money but we ran very hard. Then life happened, this February I pulled my intestines apart twice, went into septic shock twice, ended up with an ostomy bag, had my organs begin to shut down on be due to complications of the ostomy, had a case of adrenal crisis, then had to get the ostomy reversed, then back to the hospital for a fluid buildup in my abdomen and had a procedure done to get rid of that. Knock on wood, its over now. But I was clinically dead once, and almost died 4 more times so far this year.

Because of all this, I am now contemplating where I want to take my life. I have always been passionate about business and vehicles (both trucks and airplanes).

That is what brought me here, I am trying to use the guidance, knowledge, and experience of those that have been there done that to see if this would be a rewarding and viable way forward for myself. Regardless, I do plan on beginning to expedite again in the next week or two, I have been working on getting all of that set up. So I guess we shall see.

In reality, I am a very cool headed, kind hearted, laid back type-but because of this year I swear it has changed me because of my absolute understanding of mortality, then, when I think I am through it all I get a bad sprain and need crutches and I get a tooth pulled that I swear is the most painful thing ever. So because of that, I guess maybe I was a little too short with you.

Again, I hope you will accept my apology, I also see that you are in TN-PM me sometime and lets get together, I at least owe you a drink.

Thanks guys

No need for apology. For a minute there your post seemed like you were as dry as a PopCorn fart lol.

I spent 25 years in the aviation industry myself, so I know what you're going through. My plan was to get out here, learn all I can,(in a Sprinter), and expansion into bigger equipment. Drivers, and a fleet manager to handle all the woes. Had the fleet manage lined up. Drivers on the other hand was hard to fine and to trust. I thought about lease purchase program so they would treat the equipment like their on. 11+ years later I'm living a stress free life with just the Sprinter. I probably take way to much time off, after the aviation career drained me, it is nice to have a life again. Yes even in expediting.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Steady Eddie
I know what you mean about the aviation lifestyle. I am certainly ready for the lifestyle change. I have always had a draw towards owninig a business myself. I guess the ultimate thing I was trying to figure out here is net profit per truck for the average fleet owner. Seems life recruiting drivers is the hardest part, why is that? I personally loved the lifestyle of expediting, I have my new truck sitting in my driveway now and cannot wait to get started. I am just so curious about the actual numbers as far as profit margins go for the average fleet owners. Seems you see some fail and others grow large fleets and I just want to figure out what each person is doing differently.

On top of that, I have repeatedly heard about the difficulty of recruiting. Can everyone chime in as far as what their challenges are in recruiting? Hell, sent me a PM and I would be willing to help for a small fee per driver that starts haha.

Thanks again for all of the info everyone.

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
MikeDamone
Come on and join us haha, we'll make it an expediters' party and get together haha. Would be nice to meet some of you guys anyway and just talk. Seems like everyone here has an interesting story, would be a good time to get together. I'm in middle Tennessee if anyone decided they're interested, or if you are passing through and need a ride somewhere to get normal food or whatever let me know ahead of time and I'll give you a ride no charge if I'm in town.

Take care everyone!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
15 sprinters and you shave ten years off your life with the head ache of no freight or .75 per mile freight, 15 semi's and you'll go broke at about 150k each. Keep in mind most companies that pay American wages and supply the bottom feeders with scrap freight want newer trucks on the road which cost money, they get a good laugh at the word 06 Sprinter. They don't understand that the 06 was the last best year of the Sprinter and we're still awaiting a 2017 replacement to come out... So yeah if you're a multi millionaire why not give it a shot loan free pay cash and order up 15 new trucks?

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
A “dry drunk” is someone who has has slowly regressed into chaotic and unrealistic thinking despite his or her initial efforts to fully recover. Dry drunkenness, which AA’s Big Book describes as being “restless, irritable and discontented.