Need legal advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't destroy anything.
You know how/why I'd handle it from the PM.

Zorry I never got a pm.

Wolverine I had no clue what was going to happen. I gave them notice, we shook hands and he offered a ride.

As for nick he was a pretty good guy. I was only supposed to help Andrew get his truck out of red and go in to nicks truck. That didn't happen for a few reasons.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to here you got out before the feces hit the fan. Hopefuly the new guy runs a legit shop.
Bob Wolf.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Unless there was a direct threat like him saying he will kill you then the assumption of what you think he meant won't do much. I would get a couple of copies of your evidence and hold on to it for at least 6 months just in case there is a DOT audit, after that just forget about it. He was obviously a piece of garbage that was mad he lost a driver, hopefully you get your money.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The term credible threat means a threat that is “ real and immediate, not conjectural or hypothetical.” Kegler v. United States DOJ, 436 F. Supp. 2d 1204, 1212 (D. Wyo. 2006)

Different states have different standards of what this means of course, but if you were to sum up the laws regarding death threats from all states into one, it is taught, three conditions must be met.
To be considered a credible death threat, someone threatening you must have the
·intent;
·capability;
·and opportunity to carry it out. If any of the three conditions are absent, a court might consider the threat non-credible.

So even if Steven Seagal tells you he's going to break your neck with his bare hands, which he certainly can do, it still wouldn't be a credible threat if he's a thousand miles away. When you were in the Russian guy's truck, maybe the threat might be credible. If he's in another state right now, probably not, unless he's talking about sending someone else to rub you out.

Last edited:

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Ok after 4 months of working for a crazy fleet owner I have decided to call it quits. This guy is a Russian guy with no problem of holding you hostage until you admit you stole from him. He forced me to say I stole from him today while giving me a ride to greyhound which I wouldn't admit because I didn't steal anything from him. Then he said my son was going to grow up fatherless (assuming possible death threat) if I didn't admit it. So now that I'm off the truck and done with him he threatened my wife and child. What legally can I do if I only know his first name?

I called it quits after he started forcing me to run 2 log books and not sleep. I have the logs and text messages to prove this in my possession.

Anyway I'm on a bus headed to a real company where they treat you like a person.

BigCat, I thought this was all an attempt at humor when I first read it. If it wasn't, I really feel sorry for you. I suggest you change your User Name to something that sounds a little less intimidating...maybe something more like SillyKitty.

Your wife might want to keep a pot of borscht simmering on the stove just in case the Crazy Russian shows up on your threshold. Russians love borscht and a big bowl just might be enough to keep him preoccupied until you figure out what to do.

In any event, I would contact Steven Seagal in the hope of selling the movie rights to your saga. I think a movie based on Mr. Seagal battling crazy Russian expedite fleet owners who threaten women and children would be a huge box-office draw.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
BigCat, I thought this was all an attempt at humor when I first read it. If it wasn't, I really feel sorry for you. I suggest you change your User Name to something that sounds a little less intimidating...maybe something more like SillyKitty.

Your wife might want to keep a pot of borscht simmering on the stove just in case the Crazy Russian shows up on your threshold. Russians love borscht and a big bowl just might be enough to keep him preoccupied until you figure out what to do.

In any event, I would contact Steven Seagal in the hope of selling the movie rights to your saga. I think a movie based on Mr. Seagal battling crazy Russian expedite fleet owners who threaten women and children would be a huge box-office draw.

What the hell was that? This is hardly a joking matter. Even tho I thought my threat was not likely to happen to us, I took it very seriously. It caused sleeplessness for the first few nights. I was a wreck. And that happened over the phone! Can you imagine if someone said this crap to your face? I would not take his threat lightly... especially from a Russian thug.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
What the hell was that? This is hardly a joking matter. Even tho I thought my threat was not likely to happen to us, I took it very seriously. It caused sleeplessness for the first few nights. I was a wreck. And that happened over the phone! Can you imagine if someone said this crap to your face? I would not take his threat lightly... especially from a Russian thug.

The threat was not the joke. The idea that BigCat allowed himself to get involved with such a cast of characters in the first place is the REAL joke!

If I lived as close to Detroit as you apparently do I'd take threats a little more seriously too...

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only advice I could give is never ever admit you stole something when you didn't. He could have recorded you saying that. Stand your ground.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The threat was not the joke. The idea that BigCat allowed himself to get involved with such a cast of characters in the first place is the REAL joke!

If I lived as close to Detroit as you apparently do I'd take threats a little more seriously too...

I'm sure the guy wasn't acting all "Stalin-like" when Big Cat first met him. People have dark sides, and you can't always see them until it's too late. IMO, Big Cat is lucky to be out of there, and will likely be less naive when it comes to sizing the next one up.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
The funniest part in all this is BigCat/SillyKitty coming on ExpeditersOnline and asking for "legal advice".

That's about as goofy as me asking the guy that drives the garbage truck past my house for his opinion on why I felt a few heart palpitations last night.

The only attorney I know of hereabouts is Diane Madsen and I'm sure she has enough sense not to get involved.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The funniest part in all this is BigCat/SillyKitty coming on ExpeditersOnline and asking for "legal advice".

That's about as goofy as me asking the guy that drives the garbage truck past my house for his opinion on why I felt a few heart palpitations last night.

The only attorney I know of hereabouts is Diane Madsen and I'm sure she has enough sense not to get involved.

Chances are, what he was asking for, and what he ended up receiving, was advice from those who had been thru similar situations.

Really... you're adding nothing to this conversation. Maybe your tires need waterin' or something.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Chances are, what he was asking for, and what he ended up receiving, was advice from those who had been thru similar situations.

Really... you're adding nothing to this conversation. Maybe your tires need waterin' or something.

I see. I suppose you think your advice of having him acquire a "nasty looking dog and a pea-shooter or two." was pretty sound legal advice.

Your recommendation that he admit to stealing also sounds like it would have cleared up the whole matter too.

With legal advice like yours you should be able to pass the Michigan Bar exam without any trouble!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm giving him suggestions. Whether he follows them or not is on him.

You're giving him ridicule. What's that doing anybody, but getting your rocks off?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I think I would have walked to the Greyhound station before I would have given him the satisfaction of giving me a ride.[/QUOTE]

Forget all the other stuff, when he threatened your family why did you let him continue?? You could have A) Kicked his A*& or
B) Got a cop right then and there. The cop might not have been able to do anything but it would have been recorded in his report for future reference.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I'm giving him suggestions. Whether he follows them or not is on him.

I suppose if he's foolish enough to allow that situation to evolve as far as it did, he's foolish enough to follow your "advice".

Although I find the whole scenario humorous I'm certainly sensible enough not to try and play lawyer, have [edited] think I know what I'm talking about, and get himself in even MORE trouble.

The LAST thing you and all these self-professed attorneys are doing is helping him, and more likely are making his situation worse if he's[edited] enough to pay attention to you.

Edited: Personal attack on Member

Last edited by a moderator:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I suppose if he's foolish enough to allow that situation to evolve as far as it did, he's foolish enough to follow your "advice".

Although I find the whole scenario humorous I'm certainly sensible enough not to try and play lawyer, have the poor slob think I know what I'm talking about, and get himself in even MORE trouble.

The LAST thing you and all these self-professed attorneys are doing is helping him, and more likely are making his situation worse if he's dumb enough to pay attention to you.

Of course, he could listen to you, since you do nothing but pull your pants down, and let everyone smell your breath.

WTF are you doing to help the situation, jackwagon? How is your expertise being utilized here, smart guy? Please... enlighten us with your flatulence.

Status
Not open for further replies.