need direction/input on starting 26ft straight box truck business (non cdl)

mknt201

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello,
hope everyone had a great holiday. Happy New Year to all of you, and your family.
My name is Nick. I would like to get some suggestions, input, opinion on starting at 26ft non-cdl straight box truck business.
I have the following questions and concerns:
1. is it better to start out by leasing a truck?
2. if I do lease a truck do I still need to apply for DOT, MC number along with getting insurance?
3. on average how much do straight truck insurance runs? what kind of insurance do I need to get?
4. do I need to get DOT physical and medical card?
5. where do I find loads for straight trucks?
6. is it better to work with a dispatcher or a broker? how much do they normally charge?
7. is leasing on to a bigger carrier worth it? which carrier(s) leases straight trucks?

if I miss anything or you like to add more please feel free to do so.
thank you for your help.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Your still going to have to log your hours and go into scale houses. And have a medical card. And that truck had better be under 26k pounds or you will need a cdl B.
Insurance wize talk to shelly at cis...their ad is on EO. Get a truck under 26k with a sleeper so you or your driver can do hazardous materials loads.....if Certified for them.

Reactions: mknt201

SephR6

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Also, any truck stop gas station will have a weigh section. Example: TA, Flying J Pilot, or Love's. The price is between $12-14. You can always check the weight after picking up a load and if it's over the amount return back to the site and show proof of receipt that your overweight. It's better to pay the $12-14 dollar vs a fine and negative mark at a State/DOT weigh station.

Reactions: danthewolf00