NC State Warning Speeders

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see its just a campaign....and I like it.....It IS illegal to speed....its a posted LEGAL limit....if caught you should be prepared to pay the fine.....what gives anyone the right to make up what speed THEY think is safe.....there is a reason for some or most speed limits....I am tired of getting pushed around because I am being pushed to do 60 in a 55 mph zone trying to stay out of the way when the flow is like 70 mph....thats just stupid....make the people pay and fix our roads and bridges...
More state should learn from Ohio state troopers....constant and regular and persistant enforcement....and everyone knows they are out there!! they keep on hammering it home....Way to go Ohio

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I don't like it. I drive the speed limit, but your speed can easily fluctuate a few mph even with cruise, especially on hills. Also, speedometers have a small variance of 1-2 mph also. So I think 5mph cushion would be ok.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't like it. I drive the speed limit, but your speed can easily fluctuate a few mph even with cruise, especially on hills. Also, speedometers have a small variance of 1-2 mph also. So I think 5mph cushion would be ok.
Agreed in hindsight one or 2 mi./h cutting it too close

Reactions: robh2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
what gives anyone the right to make up what speed THEY think is safe.....there is a reason for some or most speed limits...
Most posted speed limits are arbitrary, usually arbitrarily low. This has been suspected for decades, but it was in 1960s when the Federal Highway Administration traffic research engineers began doing actual studies on it. They do the studies every year and their conclusions are always the same. In more recent years, the states of Michigan and New Jersey in particular have done some intensive studies, and it's why many of the roads in Michigan now have higher speed limits, and it's why several of the major roads in New Jersey have changeable speed limits, which not coincidentally is usually the same speed at which the 85th percentile are traveling.

.I am tired of getting pushed around because I am being pushed to do 60 in a 55 mph zone trying to stay out of the way when the flow is like 70 mph..
Study after study, year after year, show that regardless of the posted speed limit, people will drive at whatever speed they like, and it's usually the safe and prudent speed. But 15% of those people will be the ones driving significantly faster or slower than the other 85%. Here's an excellent article on it.

Reactions: scottm4211

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most posted speed limits are arbitrary, usually arbitrarily low. This has been suspected for decades, but it was in 1960s when the Federal Highway Administration traffic research engineers began doing actual studies on it. They do the studies every year and their conclusions are always the same. In more recent years, the states of Michigan and New Jersey in particular have done some intensive studies, and it's why many of the roads in Michigan now have higher speed limits, and it's why several of the major roads in New Jersey have changeable speed limits, which not coincidentally is usually the same speed at which the 85th percentile are traveling.

Study after study, year after year, show that regardless of the posted speed limit, people will drive at whatever speed they like, and it's usually the safe and prudent speed. But 15% of those people will be the ones driving significantly faster or slower than the other 85%. Here's an excellent article on it.

Spot on.

I do not understand why so many people are fixated on what is behind them. And yet are completely oblivious to keep right except to pass laws/common sense and courtesy to get out of the way of faster traffic.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. There are hardly ever any cops on it between Windsor and London. I don't go up there anymore, so it may have changed, but they were so absent that it was noticeable. Most people kept it right around the 100-115 km/h range that I noticed.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That section, I have to agree...isn't that the 402 tho?

Edit...no, I'm wrong...I only went through Windsor once and on the way back got stuck on a holiday in that dirt parking lot on an uncleared load for 13 hours, nothing but a trailer with a fax and a very overful Porta potti...Port Huron ever since

You can try doing 75 in the slow lane thru Toronto area but cars zip back and forth and criscross ahead and behind, only thing that slows them down is traffic. And you've probably experienced trying to merge, they won't move over in Ontario...

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediter point of view...they should put electronic speed monitors in to ALL cars, you speed, you pay...paired with a reasonable higher limit for passing lanes...which will free up the police to attend to serious matters (well they wouldn't need half of them then) but who could trust government to not start charging a per mile road tax...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, 401 is Windsor to London, 402 is Sarnia to London. I would get those (and 403) confused sometimes.

Main thing was to stay off 407. That I could remember. :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is pretty easy to set your speed three miles under the posted speed limit. The sign is for maximum speed not lowest speed. Personally I wish all states would do this and also in force it.

Probably what scares me the most is missing a speed limit sign coming into a city on a highway as that is a ticket that can have your lease cut. Texas is the worst about some cities having very high speeds and others very low, miss one speed limit sign and we could be going 15 over the posted speed.

Reactions: NorthernBill

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No cop with half a brain would write a ticket for 1 mph over, especially on open, rural highways where speed limits range from 55 to 70. If a person were to contest one of these tickets it would probably get dismissed before reaching court. Most judges would probably come down hard on LEOs that flooded their court with ridiculous speeding tickets.

Reactions: scottm4211

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno. There are hardly ever any cops on it between Windsor and London. I don't go up there anymore, so it may have changed, but they were so absent that it was noticeable. Most people kept it right around the 100-115 km/h range that I noticed.
Canada pretends to be more European than US, but when it's about speed limit, they strongly deny it (btw, E.U. countries got 130 km/h [that's 80 MPH] speed limit on freeways and many four lane highways)...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No cop with half a brain would write a ticket for 1 mph over, especially on open, rural highways where speed limits range from 55 to 70. If a person were to contest one of these tickets it would probably get dismissed before reaching court. Most judges would probably come down hard on LEOs that flooded their court with ridiculous speeding tickets.
There are many with less than half... a friend of mine was driving 71 in 70, the cop pulled him over for driving 77 and on the ticket he wrote 88...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada pretends to be more European than US, but when it's about speed limit, they strongly deny it (btw, E.U. countries got 130 km/h [that's 80 MPH] speed limit on freeways and many four lane highways)...
but on some high speed highways you actually need to be tested to be able to handle the speed....look at Texas already almost 700 traffic deaths in almost 4 months....
Ohio since the speed increase waay UP....Illinios again way up.....

If states are going to increase the speeds they need to revamp the testing of drivers....
we don't need the terrorists we already have them on our roads!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are many with less than half... a friend of mine was driving 71 in 70, the cop pulled him over for driving 77 and on the ticket he wrote 88...
The cop didn't write the ticket for 71 mph (1 mile over the limit) and that's my point.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan