My trucks have been busy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No....I agree with you. But like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. The more you do it, the better rapport you develop with certain brokers that pay well.
Once one develops the "reliability factor", a lot of times these folks will look for loads for you.
So....over time, it gets easier and you don't have to make dozens of calls.
I do agree that usually when I see "its all cheap freight", they are looking in the wrong places. Many of your best paying loads aren't necessarily on a load board. And your right, some of the LTL loads we have done have paid higher than expedite.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
The more I read about Panther, the more I think you guys have it pretty good over there, and hard to understand why some people are full of complaints about them.
Everything is relative, and it seems that relatively speaking, they have a lot to offer.

We left Panther in Sept due to family illness, after 3+ years...we loved driving for them, we loved the owner we drove for...never had a problem with either one of them, and if I chose to go back OTR it would definitely be with Panther. My wife and I were very happy doing what we did...and we both miss it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hopefully the opportunity will present itself again at some point.
Many of the casualties at Panther are the ones that can't get a handle on how they operate.
But....that can be said for quite a few carriers.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was going to post a comment on this thread,but it sounded like a competition between FECC and PII,so ill just leave it alone.But as far as the back haul loads,they would like you to stay out at least 2 weeks before you ask for one.If I need to be home,i'm not taking a load that will make me do a back haul load,of course that lowers the acceptance percentage.

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
----> I hate to say it but we have so many in this indusrty that sit back and wait for the inevitable beep

---->sorry I have no pity for these type of people

----> so it takes a little more thinking outside the box to make things work out

---->there have been times where I have made more money off backhauls and ltl than expedite

---->they might have called one or two numbers and got discouraged and never tried

---->I have made upwards of 100 calls in a day to find what works well for me

easyrider2697

What an extremly refreshing read. You've obviously taken an understanding to the business
and your operational mode is right on. FINALLY, a "REAL DRIVER" who understands the means
by which freight is readily available.

Talking politics don't put freight on the floor. Phone calls do.
Thinking, and actions "outside the box", are proving to be a defining line
that seperates revenue generators from the "just getting bys".

I've yet to meet a successfull driver who spends hour upon hour typing away miles
of text while sitting home. Folks like you have realized, there's revenue out there,
and it ain't always linked to a red LED and an audible beep.

This forum's in dire need of hearing more feedback/pointers/suggestions from folks like you.
You presented more usefull information in one paragraph than i've seen from anyone in a
long time. It's quite obvious..... you really know what you're doing.

Last month [according to my last phone bill] I made 284 calls to brokers and shippers. I also
made 5 personal stops to introduce my self to various shippers. I ran for 21 days and handled
37 individual picks/delivs. 60% of all loads consisted of 2-3 piggybacks. I don't have time to
spend countless hours picking through and replying to 100's of threads. As i've always understood,
working from home don't pay so well.

As I eluded to earlier,it was a pleasure to happen across your post tonight.

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
I think most drivers would love to find there own freight, but don't know where to start or what to say. It's uncharted waters. It would be nice of those who are experienced in finding there own freight to give a guideline and advice...If thats not suitable than where does one go to get the advice? is there a workshop?

Again I don't think people are lazy just less confident in what there suppose to do, as I include myself in that group of people, please don't put me down or call me stupid, I just lack the experience and knowlege, but welcome the advice and teachings of anyone that would like to help.

Just my ( OPINION )

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Doing some research on this site will give you a lot of basic information to see if it is right for you. There are many approaches to doing this, so there isn't just a one way path.
In this day and age, I don't think there is really any secrets as you will find.
Most of it is making the calls and developing a relationship with brokers that handle expedited freight. Over time, you will find the ones that work and are reputable and the ones that aren't.
A lot of it is word of mouth, their length of time in business, and their record for paying on time. The latter is readily available on many load boards.
At Panther they have a list of brokers who don't pay or are rip-off artists. I believe Landstar has the same thing.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Success in finding loads, whether running independently or finding decent backhauls, requires confidence in oneself. Most brokers can smell weakness, and will eat you up alive on rates if you let them. I'm not the most confident guy in the world, but having booked my first two LTLs this past week is a start. All you have to do is pull the trigger a few times, and you'll get in the groove.

As far as secrets go, they are only secrets if you don't know what you're looking for. Not a lot of us who are independent would be willing to share certain info in public; which is why I've been advocating a private independent forum on EO.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Hawk is right. You just have to get your feet wet at some point.
Some...myself included would be reluctant to provide names of specific brokers unless I have known that person for some time.
The biggest reason is if you recommend someone and they have a relationship that goes south, my name is on the hook and that has a ripple effect right to our drivers.
There are a few on here that also use a specific broker exclusively, and in those cases, they don't want to add competition to their source for loads.
Hopefully, that will give some insight as to why some information may seem limited.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk said:
As far as secrets go, they are only secrets if you don't know what you're looking for. Not a lot of us who are independent would be willing to share certain info in public; which is why I've been advocating a private independent forum on EO.

When did you go independent Larry?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now I have to come up with another Phoenixism...

"The secret to success is succeeding in keeping a secret."

How's that? :D

Thib brings up great points. When you rely on a company to load you, you're only as successful as your company allows you to be. That may not be for all companies; Panther being one. But sitting and waiting for the beep takes away an important aspect in running your own business... responsibility for your own success.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk said:

When did you go independent Larry?

TODAY!!! Actually, my authority has been thru for a couple of weeks, but we've been on the road. Just have a couple of loose ends to tie up, and the next time I go out it'll be as an independent.

Oh, the butterflies!!! :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Awwright, Larry! Sure, there's 'butterflies', because there's risk - but with minimal risk, come minimal rewards, and I know you want more than that, for yourself & your family. There's a lot of advice & support for you here, and also a lot of confidence in you, so keep us updated, ok? We expect to hear good things, once you get rolling...:)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I think most drivers would love to find there own freight, but don't know where to start or what to say. It's uncharted waters. It would be nice of those who are experienced in finding there own freight to give a guideline and advice...If thats not suitable than where does one go to get the advice? is there a workshop?

Again I don't think people are lazy just less confident in what there suppose to do, as I include myself in that group of people, please don't put me down or call me stupid, I just lack the experience and knowlege, but welcome the advice and teachings of anyone that would like to help.

Just my ( OPINION )

Seems most on EO are OOs/Drivers who are leased on with a carrier, and seems most carriers don't allow you to help yourself anyway, by getting some of your own backhauls or whatever.

We've been working toward beocming independent, and it has been a LOT of work and time, researching, etc. It's a huge risk many aren't willing or able to take. I can see now, after going through the motions, why people aren't jumping at the bit to share what it takes awhile to learn! Also, in researching things yourself, you come across piles of information that, although it might not be relevant today, helps the learning process, and might come in handy at a later time.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I personally think if freights gets thinner and harder to find than what it is there will be less and less info sharing. When it comes down to the bottom line at end of the day you can't tell everyone everything or your out of the business. It's like the saying from WW 2 "Loose Lips Sink Ships". If I had an awesome customer that paid great rates don't think I would tell everyone. Sure I'd tell about the guy who will pay you but the rate will be ok. Just to help you thru lean times.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk,
Are you sure they are butterflies and not pre-historic terradactils? (you know, that big ugly flying dinosaur, heck i can't spell)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While expediting is a tiny slice of the transportation industry, there are numerous styles of expediting that people do.

Diane and I have zero interest in running under our own authority. That is not to take anything away from those that do. It is just that we value our free time. The people who describe the hard work they do and pride they take in finding their own loads, building a customer base, and managing receivables are welcome to it. We prefer to wait for the beep and say yes or no at that time. We used to have jobs that required our continual input to keep the money flowing. Now we let others find the freight for us and react to the beeps when they come.

To each their own.