Multi-Carrier Thread

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How do you know "MOST" don't. Do you have some magical communication device that let's you see the world of all expediters?
No, of course I don't have a magical device that let's me see the world of all expediter. What an absurd question.

I find your statement totally irresponsible and without merit.
That's because you clearly don't understand the terms "responsible" and "merit". Responsible is giving people honest information that allows them to make the most informed decisions with realistic expectations. Irresponsible is giving people partial or dishonest information that causes them to draw incorrect conclusions with unrealistic expectations. A statement of "An O/O running for Multi-Carriers are likely to do very well," is dishonest, because it's a false statement, as some do better and some do worse, but those who have the realized chances of actually doing better are in the minority, and it's irresponsible because it makes running for multiple carriers and doing "very well" sound far easier than it is. My statement that an O/O is unlikely to do any better with multiple carriers than those signed on with one carrier, while allowing for the possibility that some do well, is both honest and realistic, and because it's a subject I have an interest in and have researched and collected a significant amount of data, it is a statement of conclusion based on merit. Also factoring into the merit is the failure rate and turnover rate in expediting, including those running for single and multiple carriers, and the reasons for their exit from the business.

Those with small minds, tunnel vision and lack the guts to be a real business and stay in the womb for what they perceive as the safety of one carrier seem to be the ones bad mouthing the multi carrier model without real information. Except for a few posts on here about some failures and payment collection issues. I guess those few make up the "MOST". There is more to the world than what you read on here or other boards.
There is absolutely more to the world than what you read on these boards. I don't assume your entire breadth of knowledge is limited to what you read on these boards, and you'd do well to not assume the same thing about me. There are as many ways to operate a business and run a truck as there are truckers, and small minds and tunnel vision abound everywhere in ever facet of the business.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You must be prepared to fully explain your statement of "MOST do not" and "that it wasn't likely that you will" because surely your not irresponsible.
Actually I don't. The assertion was that an O/O is more likely to do very well running with multiple carriers. It is that assertion that must be fully explained and backed up. It is a claim without any substantiation, and any such claim about anything can always be refuted without substantiation, as the burden of proof is always on the unsubstantiated claim.

So, let's start here. I'm sure you have all the numbers to back up your statement, so here's an easy one.
I have numbers, and notes taken from conversation with drivers who have done both, dispatchers and operations managers at carriers and brokers, and others both involved in multi and single carrier models.

How many are there doing the independent contractor multi carrier model in a cargo van or Sprinter and their income levels in the expediting industry? Please include your source(s) of information.
I don't know how many there are doing the independent contractor multi-carrier model in a cargo van or Sprinter, nor all of their income levels in the expediting industry. And neither do you. No one does. Which makes this a clown question.

I have other questions for you after you answer this one.
I'm sure you do. My question for you is, can you ask them honestly and intelligently and have a conversation about it without you being a tool about it so that people can actually learn something from you and the conversation?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Those four are running Multiple carriers, no authority required as they only have their own equipment.

They obtain their freight using the carriers. Sold loads, Bid loads, and yes- customers loads.
Thanks for answering those questions.

And how can I explain anything to one that knows all there is to know?
I'm not sure why the personal shot was necessary, but if I already knew everything, I wouldn't be asking the questions, now would I?

Some need to get out of the "box" some just need to get out of their shell.....
That's great. But until you post for people how to get out of the box and what to do when they are there, it's just another tired old cliché, right up there "you gotta spend money to make money" and secure computer systems in movies always have passwords that can be guessed in 2 tries or they have a manual override.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The statement of "doing well" can be very subjective and argumentative..."doing well" can mean many things to many different people....When a person claims they are "doing well'..what exactly, to the individual claiming it, mean?....I recently met a driver and he said things were "doing well" "going good"he was averaging grossing a $1,000 a week.....that is not my "well".....I pretty sure it is not Turtles "well"...but it is, that fellows "well" apparently and it was good enough for him...

yes wrap around....I don't necessarily embrace the idea 100%, but I am not closed minded enough to reject it outright either....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The statement of "doing well" can be very subjective and argumentative..."doing well" can mean many things to many different people....When a person claims they are "doing well'..what exactly, to the individual claiming it, mean?....I recently met a driver and he said things were "doing well" "going good"he was averaging grossing a $1,000 a week.....that is not my "well".....I pretty sure it is not Turtles "well"...but it is, that fellows "well" apparently and it was good enough for him...

yes wrap around....I don't necessarily embrace the idea 100%, but I am not closed minded enough to reject it outright either....

Well, are you doing well over at Load-1 over Express-1? What about the rest of the Load-1 Drivers, O/O's, are they doing well, over their last carrier?

If a person was making 500 to 800 a week at a major carrier, would your 1,000.00 a week example be better?

I do think if you do good back ground checks on multi-carriers you are "Likley" to do better. (huh-Well).

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for answering those questions.

I'm not sure why the personal shot was necessary, but if I already knew everything, I wouldn't be asking the questions, now would I?

That's great. But until you post for people how to get out of the box and what to do when they are there, it's just another tired old cliché, right up there "you gotta spend money to make money" and secure computer systems in movies always have passwords that can be guessed in 2 tries or they have a manual override.

You'er welcome

I never said you knew what folks would say before they said it.

Telling how to get out of their "box" is non- of my busniess, something they will learn or not. No one here should ever tell others how to run their business, just make sure if ask, help them out, and let them make up their mind.

BTW- ever wonder why we are seeing more un-marked vans/sprinters out here. Hey, I guess they are doing better or they would have signage on the side of those vans and a QC.

Here is another saying you will more than likey hate..." It is what it is"... I hate it too.

It's all good. Keep up the attacks without actual coming out up front and saying it. You are a very good worker of the CC, in your post-lol.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
No, of course I don't have a magical device that let's me see the world of all expediter. What an absurd question.

That's because you clearly don't understand the terms "responsible" and "merit". Responsible is giving people honest information that allows them to make the most informed decisions with realistic expectations. Irresponsible is giving people partial or dishonest information that causes them to draw incorrect conclusions with unrealistic expectations. A statement of "An O/O running for Multi-Carriers are likely to do very well," is dishonest, because it's a false statement, as some do better and some do worse, but those who have the realized chances of actually doing better are in the minority, and it's irresponsible because it makes running for multiple carriers and doing "very well" sound far easier than it is. My statement that an O/O is unlikely to do any better with multiple carriers than those signed on with one carrier, while allowing for the possibility that some do well, is both honest and realistic, and because it's a subject I have an interest in and have researched and collected a significant amount of data, it is a statement of conclusion based on merit. Also factoring into the merit is the failure rate and turnover rate in expediting, including those running for single and multiple carriers, and the reasons for their exit from the business.

There is absolutely more to the world than what you read on these boards. I don't assume your entire breadth of knowledge is limited to what you read on these boards, and you'd do well to not assume the same thing about me. There are as many ways to operate a business and run a truck as there are truckers, and small minds and tunnel vision abound everywhere in ever facet of the business.

First off, don't ever be condescending to me again. Who the hell do you think you are!
You jumped on Eddie for making a statement. Yet YOU turnaround and make a statement that you can't back up. But, according to you, your highness, the other claim has to be proved.

I asked you a trick question intentionally.
You have answered that it is impossible to answer. You correct. Since the question cannot be answered, NO ONE can say one way or the other if running for multiple carriers is better or more profitable than the single carrier model. ALSO, NO ONE can say the single carrier model is better. There isn't any data available to substantiate either claim on a industry wide basis. So quit blowing smoke. You may have collected data, great so have I. It IS insufficient to draw any type of conclusion. Therefore before you call someone irresponsible for not backing a statement, you should look in a mirror.

What was in you post that is so educational for others the learn from other than you being an arrogant pompous ***!

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First off, don't ever be condescending to me again.
Sorry, but I'll talk to you any way I want to. You don't get to be condescending to me, and then whine like a little girl when I'm condescending right back. Every post you've ever made to me has been either condescending or rude, and none of it provoked. Why? I have no idea. But until you learn some manners, don't even think for a minute that you can tell me what to do and I'll listen. Not gonna happen.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, but I'll talk to you any way I want to. You don't get to be condescending to me, and then whine like a little girl when I'm condescending right back. Every post you've ever made to me has been either condescending or rude, and none of it provoked. Why? I have no idea. But until you learn some manners, don't even think for a minute that you can tell me what to do and I'll listen. Not gonna happen.

You need to go back and read some posts. Mostly I ignore you. But when you got on Eddy, that was the last straw. I've got great manners, but your not worthy of them. In your mind you think your on a pedestal. But, its only in your mind. Reality is you opinion is no more or less important than the next person. So climb down off your high horse before you get a nose bleed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I had no idea that you and Eddie were, uhm, so close. I guess that's why you ignored his opinions and attacked mine with the same exact comments you should have said to Eddie.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW- ever wonder why we are seeing more un-marked vans/sprinters out here. Hey, I guess they are doing better or they would have signage on the side of those vans and a QC.

I guess that's an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing. My guess would be that they're folks that are desperate to try anything because van freight is so competitive, and they're just hoping to do well enough at the end of the week to treat themselves to a Quarter Pounder meal at Mickey D's.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I had no idea that you and Eddie were, uhm, so close. I guess that's why you ignored his opinions and attacked mine with the same exact comments you should have said to Eddie.

His opinions were just that, his opinions. He didn't attack anyone. You attacked him as being irresponsible for not having proof. Then you got your panties in wad when I got after you. I'm still waiting for your proof. Oh that's right, according to you he has to prove his first.

Don't know Eddie, never met him or talked to him. Got nothing to do with it. You'll love this, it's all about you!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
His opinions were just that, his opinions. He didn't attack anyone. You attacked him as being irresponsible for not having proof.
No I didn't attack him, I questioned his statement. What I said was, "Unless you are prepared to fully explain how such a thing is so easily done, the "likely" statement is kind of irresponsible." That's hardly an attack on Eddie. It was in the context of other questions, which he answered. But without an explanation to others as to how one is "likely" to do better running for multiple carriers, it makes newbies and others think it's easy, a piece of cake. But it's not. It requires quite a bit of work. To make people think otherwise is to set them up for failure, and that, IMNSO, is irresponsible. Apparently, you don't agree, and instead think it's quite responsible.

Then you got your panties in wad when I got after you. I'm still waiting for your proof. Oh that's right, according to you he has to prove his first.
I cannot prove a negative in the first place, and to request such proof is moronic. I don't have to prove a negative, since there is no evidence to the contrary. If you or someone would like to back up the notion that people who run for multiple carriers are "likely" to do better than those running for single carriers, have at it. There are plenty of people who would like to see such evidence. I know I would, considering I've never seen nor heard of any.

Don't know Eddie, never met him or talked to him. Got nothing to do with it. You'll love this, it's all about you!
Oh, I know it is. You've attacked me out of the blue on multiple occasions for no apparent reason at all, and certainly none that I or anyone I've talked to can come up with. But that's really more your problem than mine. Nothing I can do about it.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
No I didn't attack him, I questioned his statement. What I said was, "Unless you are prepared to fully explain how such a thing is so easily done, the "likely" statement is kind of irresponsible." That's hardly an attack on Eddie. It was in the context of other questions, which he answered. But without an explanation to others as to how one is "likely" to do better running for multiple carriers, it makes newbies and others think it's easy, a piece of cake. But it's not. It requires quite a bit of work. To make people think otherwise is to set them up for failure, and that, IMNSO, is irresponsible. Apparently, you don't agree, and instead think it's quite responsible.

I cannot prove a negative in the first place, and to request such proof is moronic. I don't have to prove a negative, since there is no evidence to the contrary. If you or someone would like to back up the notion that people who run for multiple carriers are "likely" to do better than those running for single carriers, have at it. There are plenty of people who would like to see such evidence. I know I would, considering I've never seen nor heard of any.

Oh, I know it is. You've attacked me out of the blue on multiple occasions for no apparent reason at all, and certainly none that I or anyone I've talked to can come up with. But that's really more your problem than mine. Nothing I can do about it.

Here is the apparent reason:
You said, "The reality is that o/o is NOT likely to do better than leased onto a single carrier". Why is your statement not misleading and irresponsible but Eddie's is. That is what I asked you to prove! But YOU say the other has to be proved first. Bull! As we know, neither can be proved. I set you up for it.

Once again, as you have agreed to. The data on industry wide basis does not exist. Therefore, neither claim can be made. Is there any part of this statement you don't understand? Any statement made one way or another is strictly the opinion of the one making it. Does not make it irresponsible tho. It's just an opinion. As I have said earlier, YOUR opinion is no more or less important than the next guy.
You are not the messiah you like to think you are. Again, that is only in your head.

Running for multiple carriers is no more of a risk than running for a single carrier. Is it more work? Probably. If set up properly, it can be just as safe as a single carrier in terms of payment. I can't recall any other business in our society with only one receivable. Sounds like an employee mentality to me without the benefits.

Like all business, there is risk involved. The key is to limit it. If you have 3 good customers and something happens to one, you still got two and cash flow.
If you only got one customer, and something happens. Your screwed. Your accounts receivables end up getting charged off and your out of business.

I don't recall ever attacking you. I do recall you attacking me about 3 years ago. I let it ride and ignore you for the little arrogant *** that you are. I'm not going to waste my time on looking it up. You can.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You need to go back and read some posts. Mostly I ignore you. But when you got on Eddy, that was the last straw. I've got great manners, but your not worthy of them.

If you believe manners are to be used only with people you think are "worthy of them", then no, you don't have great manners.
Namecalling ["arrogant pompous ****" and "your highness"] says you don't have a whole lot of self control, either - just sayin.

In your mind you think your on a pedestal. But, its only in your mind. Reality is you opinion is no more or less important than the next person.

Nope, that's theory. Reality is that the opinion of an apparently knowledgeable person will always be more important than the opinion of an obvious idiot. It's up to the beholder to decide which is which.

So climb down off your high horse before you get a nose bleed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here is the apparent reason:
You said, "The reality is that o/o is NOT likely to do better than leased onto a single carrier".
Oh, well, excuse me. Clearly that's a statement which warrants attacking me and calling me names. You are so right. I can't believe I missed that. Doh! My sincerest apology.

Why is your statement not misleading and irresponsible but Eddie's is.
We're circling now. You really do have a tough time with "responsible" and "irresponsible", don't you? Or is it just a reading comprehension problem? It's not misleading because I haven't seen any credible evidence that shows people are "more likely" to do better running for multiple carriers than they are running for a single carrier, and I've done considerable research on the subject, more than enough to confidently make the statement. And it's not irresponsible because my advice isn't very likely to cause someone to fail out of ignorance due to a lack of information, while Eddie's is. If people take my advice they will take a closer look at it if they are interested, but if people take Eddie's advice as given they will go into uneducated and unprepared and will likely fail, as most do when they entering anything unprepared. If they think they are "more likely" to do very well, or better, with multiple carriers, they are likely to dismiss the single carrier model as being a viable option because they already know going in they aren't as likely to do as well with it, because Eddie just told them so.

That is what I asked you to prove! But YOU say the other has to be proved first. Bull! As we know, neither can be proved. I set you up for it.
Yes, you asked me to prove a negative, which cannot be proven, as you just noted. So yes, you set me up for that. Very clever, I must say. You got me good. Boy do I feel like a doofus. Well done.

Once again, as you have agreed to. The data on industry wide basis does not exist. Therefore, neither claim can be made. Is there any part of this statement you don't understand?
Yes, there is a part of that statement I don't understand. Two parts, actually. One, that I agreed that data on an industry-wide basis does not exist. I didn't agree with that at all. What I agreed to was that me, you, or anyone else doesn't know how many there are doing the independent contractor multi-carrier model in a cargo van or Sprinter, nor all of their income levels in the expediting industry. That's not really the same thing as agreeing that industry-wide data doesn't exist, because it does exist. Even you have admitted to collecting data yourself. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you are I are not the only two expediters to have talked with drivers who have done both the single and multi-carrier models, dispatchers and operations managers at carriers and brokers, and others both involved in multi and single carrier models, and that you haven't limited yourself to just small segments of the industry or to data sample sizes so small as to be meaningless.

Apparently, you think conclusions and decisions can be made if, and only if, you have on hand 100% of all the possible data, and anything less than a full and complete 100% sample data size is a non-viable amount of data, and is therefore meaningless from which to draw any conclusions whatsoever. That's one of the big things I don't understand about your statement above. Eddie made his statement based on 4 expediters that he knows who are doing very well. Frankly, a data set of 4 is a really, really small sample size.

Any statement made one way or another is strictly the opinion of the one making it. Does not make it irresponsible tho. It's just an opinion.
Just because it's an opinion doesn't make it a responsible one, either. But in this case it was opinion stated as fact, and given as advice. If the opinion is offered as advice and it contains incorrect or missing important information, then it's irresponsible, regardless of the subject matter.

As I have said earlier, YOUR opinion is no more or less important than the next guy.
I've never said otherwise. In fact, I've said on multiple occasions that no one should take my advice or opinions at face value about anything, and instead they should do their own research.

You are not the messiah you like to think you are. Again, that is only in your head.
Actually, I don't think I'm the Messiah. Clearly, that's in your head, not mine.

Running for multiple carriers is no more of a risk than running for a single carrier.
Yet we have evidence right here on EO to the contrary. But even if all carriers of all sizes regardless of experience in the business carried precisely the same risk, the math dictates that the risk would necessarily increase with each additional carrier added to the mix. There's no way that it can't, unless every carrier has zero risk. But every carrier has some risk, and that risk becomes multiplied with every carrier beyond one.

Is it more work? Probably. If set up properly, it can be just as safe as a single carrier in terms of payment.
Oh, so it has to be set up properly. A qualifier that wasn't mentioned in the "likely" statement above. Seems to me that qualifies as a missing piece of important information. So the statement becomes 'you are more likely to do very well (or better) if you do this, or that, and this and that.' You just got finished saying running for multiple carriers is no more of a risk than running for a single carrier, and yet you've also just said that it has to be set up properly, which implicitly means there is an additional risk. The two statements contradict each other.

I can't recall any other business in our society with only one receivable. Sounds like an employee mentality to me without the benefits.
Every load is a different receivable, whether you run for a single carrier, multiple carriers, or you have your own authority and broker your own loads. The only difference is how you do your factoring and with whom, and how you obtain your loads. There are plenty of businesses with single receivables. There are businesses created solely to serve a single customer. But in any event, a contract lease in trucking is hardly an employee mentality without the benefits. Whether it's single or multiple carriers, each load is a separate load contract, and comes with the same responsibility.

Like all business, there is risk involved. The key is to limit it. If you have 3 good customers and something happens to one, you still got two and cash flow.
If you only got one customer, and something happens. Your screwed. Your accounts receivables end up getting charged off and your out of business.
All true. Which is why you want to monitor your customer or customers closely, regardless of the number you have. It's certainly easier to monitor one than three, though, I would think.

I don't recall ever attacking you. I do recall you attacking me about 3 years ago. I let it ride and ignore you for the little arrogant *** that you are. I'm not going to waste my time on looking it up. You can.
I'm glad you're not going to waste your time looking it up, because it would indeed be wasted time, seeing as how you have a very bad or a very selective memory. You don't like me for some reason, and that's fine. There's nothing I can do about that. At least you're keeping things classy and professional. That's what I've always liked most about you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya know you 2 could beat this horse all day.....BUT if the O/O is as dumb as a stump all this is for nothing....work habits, able to listen and learn, be flexible...good communication skills.....a guy could have the best tools in the world and still build a bad house..... IMO, I think any one of you 3 could be successful in either program....Have a good day....:)