Multi-Carrier Thread

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I am only casually following this thread. I am not a vanner and avoid hostility.
Although things other than money enter into a persons happiness has anyone other than a single carrier
ever posted,and offered to show,revenue numbers ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am only casually following this thread. I am not a vanner and avoid hostility.
Although things other than money enter into a persons happiness has anyone other than a single carrier
ever posted,and offered to show,revenue numbers ?

Revenue numbers are too subjective Zorry.....Since we are O/O's we all have our targets that differ depending on our individual budgets....Once a certain level is achieved they head home and relax, accordingly the one that needs more might have to stay out a little longer....and we are talking MONTHLY maybe even quarterly income totals...I consider me successful at my level....someone else probably would not be...or they need even less....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Makes sense. I thought revenue numbers,net income, was the big reason to avoid single carriers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Makes sense. I thought revenue numbers,net income, was the big reason to avoid single carriers.

That is what this whole thread has been about can a person make their goals/ a living at the multi carrier way?....I think one can, IF they have some smarts about them.......Learn the game, play the game....just like at a signage/QC carrier....it is all about playing the game....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question! If your working for multiple carriers, can you carry more then one load on your truck? Example, heading to PA for one carrier and another has a box that needs to be dropped in Detroit. Leaving from WI or IL it would certainly be possible to do. Is it legal? Is it allowed by carriers? That would make the multiple carrier OO some real extra money!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Question! If your working for multiple carriers, can you carry more then one load on your truck? Example, heading to PA for one carrier and another has a box that needs to be dropped in Detroit. Leaving from WI or IL it would certainly be possible to do. Is it legal? Is it allowed by carriers? That would make the multiple carrier OO some real extra money!
Im sure that it is done. It is my understanding that there would be some insurance concerns if two different carriers are involved. Im not sure if it could be done on a regular basis, alot of variables that have to fall in place for it to work on a time sensitive load. But yes, could be profitable on the occasion you could make it happen...if you can work out or are willing to be dishonest to get past the insurance problems.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im sure that it is done. It is my understanding that there would be some insurance concerns if two different carriers are involved. Im not sure if it could be done on a regular basis, alot of variables that have to fall in place for it to work on a time sensitive load. But yes, could be profitable on the occasion you could make it happen...if you can work out or are willing to be dishonest to get past the insurance problems.

Don't multi operators have their own cargo insurance?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If I thought the "net" income was better, I could be persuaded. I think some of them run more miles but Im not aware of any that run at good enough rates to attract me....which equals better gross..maybe...but the net may not be any better than mine.

OVM's objective comment rings true in that its really tough to get a good answer on revenue vs miles. There are a lot of apples to oranges comparisons, but few apples to apples. One guy may not be including empty miles in his overall rate, while another guy may be running a 16' Penske cube and carrying 5,000 lb loads. If you could get everyone to agree on what represents an all miles rate and then get everyone to clarify what kind of truck their running and what kind of loads their hauling, then some actual accurate numbers could be looked at.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my own insurance including cargo insurance. I also have each carrier listed seperately as "additional insured". I've had it work quite a few times without a problem, but like you said, the conditions need to work out perfectly, which happens only occasionally. But when it does, you have a really good day.

I also agree with OVM that each OO has different goals. I for one, once I make my $2,000 for the week, I start looking for a way home. Again, having multiple carriers increases your chances of getting closer to home. I don't believe that all companys use the same boards, plus they each have their own customer base of shippers.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have my own insurance including cargo insurance. I also have each carrier listed seperately as "additional insured". I've had it work quite a few times without a problem, but like you said, the conditions need to work out perfectly, which happens only occasionally. But when it does, you have a really good day.

I also agree with OVM that each OO has different goals. I for one, once I make my $2,000 for the week, I start looking for a way home. Again, having multiple carriers increases your chances of getting closer to home. I don't believe that all companys use the same boards, plus they each have their own customer base of shippers.
your setup...as I understand it.... would be the proper way to set up that business model. It's not my understanding that others do it that way.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am really hoping the Alliance moves quickly to implement VIN indentification.....when the vans are posted.....hence eliminating multiple listings.....it should really trim the herd down and give a more accurate look at the real capacity out there....I think all can gain some $$$$'s from this move...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
your setup...as I understand it.... would be the proper way to set up that business model. It's not my understanding that others do it that way.

I think a lot of those carriers require you to name them on the policy.

sent from my FISHER PRICE Z100 using EO forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run for one main carrier, they are my bread and butter. I only call the other two carriers when I'm already out and think I may have a problem getting out of an area. More eyes, more boards. So I'm not normally showing more then once. For example this week I have only been running for my main carrier, I'm listed OOS with the other two all week so far, when I get to Coffeyville KS early morning and get my delivery off, being Thursday already, I'll let everyone know I'm available. Then I'll probable show up as several vans for the first time this week. Just looking for freight heading home for the weekend. My 21st wedding anniversary is this weekend. I'd kind of like to be there to enjoy it.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I run for one main carrier, they are my bread and butter. I only call the other two carriers when I'm already out and think I may have a problem getting out of an area. More eyes, more boards. So I'm not normally showing more then once. For example this week I have only been running for my main carrier, I'm listed OOS with the other two all week so far, when I get to Coffeyville KS early morning and get my delivery off, being Thursday already, I'll let everyone know I'm available. Then I'll probable show up as several vans for the first time this week. Just looking for freight heading home for the weekend. My 21st wedding anniversary is this weekend. I'd kind of like to be there to enjoy it.
May I ask what vehicle you operate?

chefjesse

Active Expediter
I have noticed that this thread kinda fell off, is there anyone still running multi- carriers and do you have contact information?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran this morning Milwaukee to Gary IN for one carrier. Now I'm running from Gary to Indy for a different carrier. About an hour off between loads. I'll be empty again about 14:00 and have a good start to the week.

chefjesse

Active Expediter
I ran this morning Milwaukee to Gary IN for one carrier. Now I'm running from Gary to Indy for a different carrier. About an hour off between loads. I'll be empty again about 14:00 and have a good start to the week.

If you would could you send me their information?