Multi-Carrier Thread

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds like mostly vans doing the multi-carrier think. Was wondering if anyone with a straight truck was running for multi-carriers?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Only Straights that run under their own authority can get loads from multipe brokers, load boards etc. I don't know of any carriers that would allow a straight to run for multiple carriers because of compliance issues, they are usually unders one companies insurance etc...

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Thanks, but I'm aware of these details, but was wondering who was doing it and was it worth it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mikefl

Active Expediter
What carriers does everyone suggest that you run for if you do not want to be tide down to just one?

Also what else would you need besides insurance to run for multiple carriers? (Under 10,000lbs)

I know myself and fiance have decided to run straight, but I am curious!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What carriers does everyone suggest that you run for if you do not want to be tide down to just one?

Also what else would you need besides insurance to run for multiple carriers? (Under 10,000lbs)

On Call Logistics comes to mind....Blizzard here pays a fair rate and seem to be on the ball, but he's in the minority...I can't really wrap my mind around the multi platform as there are still too many flyby nighters out there...pay sub rates...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My question is why would you think being with one carrier tied down? as i have said before no one has ever shown me they make more with multiple carriers than you can with one good carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On Call Logistics comes to mind....Blizzard here pays a fair rate and seem to be on the ball, but he's in the minority...I can't really wrap my mind around the multi platform as there are still too many flyby nighters out there...pay sub rates...

Get out of the major "carrier box". You do not have to sign on with "flyby nighters". If you do good back ground checks, you can really benifit with more than one carrier. You are in BFE, and been there for some time. multi-carriers will get out of there way before you. More eyes finding loads is better than one set. Those one set of eyes have limits or operating goals to go by: IE; rate, O/I, time allowed, etc. If the rate is not there.... don't take it. Simple.

A O/O running for Multi-Carriers are likey to do very well. At least the ones I know do.No matter who they use to drive for, (major carrier).

Some take it a step further, and find there own loads.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get out of the major "carrier box". You do not have to sign on with "flyby nighters". If you do good back ground checks, you can really benifit with more than one carrier. You are in BFE, and been there for some time. multi-carriers will get out of there way before you. More eyes finding loads is better than one set. Those one set of eyes have limits or operating goals to go by: IE; rate, O/I, time allowed, etc. If the rate is not there.... don't take it. Simple.

A O/O running for Multi-Carriers are likey to do very well. At least the ones I know do.No matter who they use to drive for, (major carrier).

Think I kind of said that Eddie....there are some good ones out there....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But he is talking about a team in a straight. The biggest seem very good at keeping those moving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reality is, an O/O running for multiple carriers is NOT likely to do any better than those signed on with one carrier. They may do well, but that's hardly evidence for doing better. Multiple eyes looking for BFE loads certainly sounds better, but the reality it that all those eyes are looking at the same boards and the same loads. A crowd of dispatches gathered around a single computer monitor accomplishes the same thing.

The reality is, a carrier with their own customer base, in addition to having access to the boards, will get you loaded quicker and more often, simply due to having a wider choice of opportunities, which is precisely what people erroneously think they are getting with multiple carriers. I do love a good irony.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know 4 that are doing better. Now when I say better, I mean better. Better pay, better miles, than they were getting at one carrier. Better loads from, Landstar, E-1, Tri-State, Bounce, and other major carrier's with their "Customer" base. It is set up a lot like Landstar, brokers. The major carrier's customer base becomes the multi-carrie's coustomer base as well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know 4 that are doing better. Now when I say better, I mean better. Better pay, better miles, than they were getting at one carrier. Better loads from, Landstar, E-1, Tri-State, Bounce, and other major carrier's with their "Customer" base. It is set up a lot like Landstar, brokers. The major carrier's customer base becomes the multi-carrie's coustomer base as well.

Are those 4 leased on with multiple carriers, or are they running their own authority and are in-effect a partner carrier with the carriers you mentioned? Who's authority are they running under? Please explain this super sekrit method of obtaining expedited freight.

There are exceptions to everything, including running for multiple carriers. Note that I did NOT say that you CANNOT do better running for multiple carriers, I said that it wasn't likely that you will. Because it's true, it's isn't likely. A few do better, but most do not. Unless you are prepared to fully explain how such a thing is so easily done, the "likely" statement is kind of irresponsible.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't really wrap my mind around the multi platform as there are still too many flyby nighters out there...pay sub rates...

Did you?

Yep...I said that part and stand by it....

I also said.."On Call Logistics comes to mind....Blizzard here pays a fair rate and seem to be on the ball, but he's in the minority." So since I did not type the words then , I will now....a person would want to check up on the prospective carrier before signing on...
to continue, as turtle said...they don"t see any different load boards then the big carriers do....there are levels of NLM that the small ones are not privy too....so in all actuality they see less....the only plus I can see....that the small carrier may have less overhead costs and can bid on a load that the bigger carrier can't or won't bid on....
As you pointed out Edster..as long as they are getting the rate they are happy with....well so goes it...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Are those 4 leased on with multiple carriers, or are they running their own authority and are in-effect a partner carrier with the carriers you mentioned? Who's authority are they running under? Please explain this super sekrit method of obtaining expedited freight.

There are exceptions to everything, including running for multiple carriers. Note that I did NOT say that you CANNOT do better running for multiple carriers, I said that it wasn't likely that you will. Because it's true, it's isn't likely. A few do better, but most do not. Unless you are prepared to fully explain how such a thing is so easily done, the "likely" statement is kind of irresponsible.

How do you know "MOST" don't. Do you have some magical communication device that let's you see the world of all expediters? I find your statement totally irresponsible and without merit. Those with small minds, tunnel vision and lack the guts to be a real business and stay in the womb for what they perceive as the safety of one carrier seem to be the ones bad mouthing the multi carrier model without real information. Except for a few posts on here about some failures and payment collection issues. I guess those few make up the "MOST". There is more to the world than what you read on here or other boards.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

You must be prepared to fully explain your statement of "MOST do not" and "that it wasn't likely that you will" because surely your not irresponsible.

So, let's start here. I'm sure you have all the numbers to back up your statement, so here's an easy one.

How many are there doing the independent contractor multi carrier model in a cargo van or Sprinter and their income levels in the expediting industry? Please include your source(s) of information.

I have other questions for you after you answer this one.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Those four are running Multiple carriers, no authority required as they only have their own equipment.

They obtain their freight using the carriers. Sold loads, Bid loads, and yes- customers loads.

And how can I explain anything to one that knows all there is to know? Some need to get out of the "box" some just need to get out of their shell.....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep...I said that part and stand by it....

I also said.."On Call Logistics comes to mind....Blizzard here pays a fair rate and seem to be on the ball, but he's in the minority." So since I did not type the words then , I will now....a person would want to check up on the prospective carrier before signing on...
to continue, as turtle said...they don"t see any different load boards then the big carriers do....there are levels of NLM that the small ones are not privy too....so in all actuality they see less....the only plus I can see....that the small carrier may have less overhead costs and can bid on a load that the bigger carrier can't or won't bid on....
As you pointed out Edster..as long as they are getting the rate they are happy with....well so goes it...

Ok, then lets take On Call.... They can see more than you think. They can see what carriers are in any given area, Equipment type, and dims, same as I can. what and how they get loads for their O/O's is sometimes better than what one carrier can do. just like ABF- They get an expedite load, it goes to there Time Keepers division, and is dispatched from there. If they cann't get it covered after checking for trucks it goes to bid. Well, now it goes to the cat. But, that is the way it use to work. Most of the M/C's do get a lot of loads from the major carries that either can not get the load covered or will sell it due to sending a unit to BFE. Major carries do have some customers to fall back on. But, they to will look for loads that are out for bid. If you have more than one carrier looking for loads, (with their own computers by the way), your load op goes up.

My first reply was due to your statement about you "can not wrap your mind around the multi carrier" thingee......