Movie list

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let me clarify. I guess I don't mind a long movie if it is a great movie.(the good, the bad, and the ugly- example) I enjoy the scenes and get annoyed when some channels edit out dialogue and scenes. Just talking about average movies that won't end.

Reactions: Ragman

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems like it's on a lot on Saturdays. I think AMC or one of the other basic cable movie channels like Sundance. Unless you already have video or rent.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems like it's on a lot on Saturdays. I think AMC or one of the other basic cable movie channels like Sundance. Unless you already have video or rent.
We use a combination of things. AMC, TCM, some rentals.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Best lines from Aliens:

Ripley: These people are here to protect you. They're soldiers.
Newt: It won't make any difference.

Newt: We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... ... mostly.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Finally saw most of Aliens.
Some thoughts:
How does someone think up such a bizarre SyFy plot?
I remember the SNL Aliens skit with Sygourney Weaver. Dana Carvey played the freaked out Bill Paxton character. Lol
James Cameron must be a gazillionaire.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Finally saw most of Aliens.
Some thoughts:
How does someone think up such a bizarre SyFy plot?
It evolved from the original "Alien" (1979) movie, directed by Ridley Scott, which is really good, not your typical sci-fi horror movie (although it is in the same vein as "Thing" where alien lifeform goes through the crew one-by-one). The Alien and the accompanying elements were designed by Swiss surrealist artist H. R. Giger, as he did for all of the subsequent Alien movies, which didn't hurt the film winning an Academy Award for Visual Effects. The stellar cast is Tom Skerrit, Signourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Hol and Yaphet Kotto. Only Weaver's character, Ellen Ripley, makes it out alive. The movie is a virtual permanent fixture on every "greatest films of all time" lists. The Library of Congress designated it as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

I highly recommend watching it, as it totally sets up the "Aliens" sequel, which is an even better movie, amazingly. "Aliens" was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, including Best Actress for Weaver, and it won 2, for Sound and for Visual Effects. The horror genre feel of the original contrasted with the war genre feel of the sequel makes for a great pairing.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Die Hard is on. I have never seen it. I know, how did that happen? I'll watch it and see if it will be a movie I'll care to see again sometime.