Mom and Pop

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I work for a company that has fewer than five drivers, including the owner. Is anybody else with a company of ten or fewer?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm guessing (educated guess) that there are hundreds of companies like you describe. I met a couple of them at this year's Expedite Expo.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I would say there is enough room at the table for everyone. While it seems the larger companies occupy more of the industry as whole the opposite is true. It's the smaller trucking companies that have more trucks total and provide more jobs to this country than the big ones do. You just see Swift, JB, Panther, and FDCC more often than you see Feb. 14th Transportation, Larry Fowler Trucking, Blann Tractor Company, or Dwight Lockhart Trucking and people tend to not notice the smaller players. Just the way it goes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Nothing against the big companies but there are other ways than the Panther, FECC, etc way. Isn't there room for everyone here?

The following numbers will have changed some because of the contraction now underway in the trucking industry (carriers shrinking fleets, carriers going out of business), but they still tell the large-company/small-company story.

From the American Trucking Associations 2007 Facts For Drivers handbook: "The U.S. trucking industry is comprised of over 546,000 for-hire and private motor carriers; almost 96% with less than 20 trucks. Over 26 million trucks are used for business purposes (excluding government and farm equipment); 2.7 million of them are Class 8 trucks."

Is there room for everyone out here? Well, like, YEA! With 96% of the nation's motor carriers having 20 trucks or less, the country is filled with small-business carriers that carve out a market niche for themselves and do their thing.

No one knows with precision how many expedite carriers and trucks there are out there. The larger companies are easy to identify and their fleet size numbers can be obtained. These numbers fluctuate with the season and economic conditions.

In my Five Fantastic Years post, I listed changes Diane and I have observed in our five years in the business. One of the most interesting is the emergence of GPSNet Technologies, which now networks over 3,000 small-expedite-carrier trucks to share load opportunities and provide tiny carriers with national customer-service reach.

Over 3,000 small expedite carrier trucks -- that is more than two, three and four times the size of the so-called major expedite carriers (depending on the carrier you name). While the major carriers retain major name recognition and advantages in the marketplace, 3,000 small-expedite-carrier trucks networked together more than make the case that there is room for everyone in this industry (which itself is difficult to define).

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I work for a company that has fewer than five drivers, including the owner. Is anybody else with a company of ten or fewer?

I am with a company of fewer than ten trucks: MINE! One truck and one O/O in the truck.

Tennesseahawk, dhalltoyo, CharlesD, KWExpress (and the Col. formerly) all have carriers of a smaller size. Sorry if I left anyone out. It was more for example than anything.

As far as non company owners who are O/Os, I believe that Cheri is with a smaller carrier these days.

Tom911

Seasoned Expediter
My company is doubling in size...going from 1 truck to 2...hard to drive both at the same time, guess I have to hire a driver.

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I knew there were many small companies. My real goal was to see how many posters were of that persuasion. Many who visit this forum are considering expediting for a career so its important that they see that there is more than one way to skin the cat, I mean, move the freight.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I knew there were many small companies. My real goal was to see how many posters were of that persuasion. Many who visit this forum are considering expediting for a career so its important that they see that there is more than one way to skin the cat, I mean, move the freight.

There are some very good carriers with ten trucks or less around. As you know with a small carrier, everyone knows you by name, not just by truck number. Also, a smaller carrier generlly will be looking not just to cover their customers, but cover your truck as well.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I signed on with Polly Express, (April 2007), I asked if they'd like some 'free publicity', because of the tremendous influence of EO, but they said they preferred to remain small, and I respect that. I'm happy there, as a small carrier is a better fit for me - we try our best to help each other succeed.

guido4475

Not a Member
and what a great company polly express is, right cheri? i'm down here in laredo also waiting on a load. they really work hard for the driver. wouldnt go anywhere else. as far as i see it, small companies are the way to go.less b-s and more freedom.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I think I have heard the same question 200-300 times.(maybe stretching a little)

"I'm am considering becoming an expediter. I am looking at either leasing onto Panther or FedEx Custom Critical because they are the two biggest carriers. Which one is better?

Nothing is wrong with those two outfits. The only thing is about 25 other advertise here it always amazes me that some people won't check into some of them because they aren't as large.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i met a fella one nite fueling and he was with a company with 6 trucks. never heard of the company and can't find'em on the net. he was quite happy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I should tell "the other side of the story", though: if you need anything from your carrier in the wee hours, bigger is probably better. (Or at least more likely to answer the phone) :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i'm down here in laredo also waiting on a load

I sent you a private msg, Guido.
Apologies for using the public forum for a private msg, which annoys me - but I'm assuming Guido is unfamiliar with the system, and not ignoring me.
Because I bet I can find him, lol. :D:D:D

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A lot of smaller carriers are successful, in part, because they're very particular of who they sign on. Thus, they don't advertise. Finding these companies is usually by word of mouth. Sometimes, they find you. Kinda like the mafia. ;)