mexican trucks in america are a fact.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Gee since this thread is specfically about MEXICANS ( greg is the one that decided to drag all the other nationalities into the discussion) you tellin me that you hold a green card from Mexico too!?!?!? :eek::D

You a member of La Raza too...:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reminds me of this....:D

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official, 'You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done.'
The Chief nodded in agreement.
The official continued, 'Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?'
The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied. 'When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water.
Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex.'
Then the chief leaned back and smiled. 'Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.':p

clcooper

Expert Expediter
"The job loss thing is funny, how many jobs are lost because the wages are so high the companies can't afford to use the workers?" and why are the workers demanding more pay . I guess it is not to pay for the gas that keeps going up . and also to have some left for their other bills to . but since the working class are just slaves they don’t need any extra to do things that they enjoy to do . can you support a family on 10 dollars a hour job and the same company that had the lay offs reported million dollar profits Forbes reports Exxon had 45.2 Billion profit in 2009 and paid no Federal taxes. Government Accountability Office reports 2 out of 3 corporations paid no taxes 1998-2005. GE got a 1.1 billion tax credit. Darn union middle class bankrupting this country.

"How about GM and Chrysler, where the UAW was paid off but people still lost their jobs? "The UAW was paid off not the people . AND wasn't GM and CHRYSLER ALSO PAID OFF BY THE GOVERNMENT WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS . and what about the banks that got a pay off too . ALL WITH TAXPAYERS MONEY

"TO many in this country the teamsters are an Un-American union, they are demanding things that are not part of any protection of any American worker." I AM A TEAMSTER and I haven't heard any of what you are saying is being said . were you watching a cartoon news show again . were I work we are taking a 15% pay cut to help keep the company running . the union you are seeing being Un-American are the government ones .

So because Hoffa made a comment means that the Union stands behind what he says . I guess it just like Oprah saying she isn't going to eat beef . and She was SUED for saying it .
I know the drug and gun dealers will be happy with the Mexican truck drivers being able to go anywhere in the USA . and I am glad that somebody is and will make millions off of the Mexican drivers to . because I know I wont see none of it . there is stuff hidden in the Mexican drivers be able to drive in the USA for a reason . just like the new law that FMCSA the big guys are for it and why because it will keep the little guy little and force all new guys to work for the big guys . KEEP THE MAN POOR AND HE WILL WORK FOR YOU EVERY DAY .

ok I am done if you haven't learn by now you never will . but before you tell some to get out and see the real world you should do the same yourself . Greg you live in a box it time you get out of it . and before you say any thing to me . the last 4 years I lived on the road not in a truck but I was traveling I was in about every state for a month at a time so I got to see more about the area . the next time you are at Wal Mart take a drive down town and see what it is like and wonder why it is like that . just like everything corruption will ruin it . we have many good laws and programs but corruption has ruined them .

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone else see this...?

By Charlie Morasch, Land Line staff writer
Critics of the recently announced cross-border trucking program have warned that opening the border would invite drug smuggling and cabotage into the U.S.
On the very day that President Barack Obama and Mexico President Felipe Calderon announced that a cross-border trucking program is imminent, a major drug bust in Arizona did little to bolster arguments that Mexican trucks won’t bring problems with them.
Thursday, March 3, an Arizona state trooper stopped a truck driven by a Mexican male in his 20s hauling produce on Interstate 19 from Nogales, AZ, to Phoenix.
The driver was unlicensed to drive a commercial vehicle, and troopers noticed several other violations, which “showed that the driver was not familiar with legitimate commercial vehicle operations,” an Arizona Department of Public Safety news release stated.
Inside the trailer, troopers found a hidden compartment with 152 bundles of marijuana totaling 3,616 pounds and worth about $1.2 million on the street.
According to the DOT number on the truck, the truck was registered under Luz Belem Robles Carrillo of Sonora, Mexico. The carrier had been recently issued provisional authority to operate only along the border in specific commercial zones identified by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The type of authority the carrier was issued is classified as OP-2. Carriers with OP-2 authority may operate in border zones in the U.S. in states that border Mexico.
Carriers can only have one type of authority. Carriers that want to engage in long-haul transportation and business in the border commercial zones must apply for the OP-1.
Since being issued that provisional authority in October 2010, the motor carrier had tallied only one inspection, according to FMCSA’s website.
The Mexican motor carrier with the same DOT number was inspected in December and was found to have eight violations. The violations included: no drivers record of duty status, driving a CMV while disqualified, no medical certificate, two counts of operating a CMV without periodic inspection, wheel flaps missing or defective, glazing permits, and state or international fuel tax violation.
Bart Graves, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public Safety, told Land Line Now Wednesday that investigators believe the truck’s driver had been recently hired by a Mexican drug cartel.
DPS officers ask questions of drivers to determine whether drivers are legitimate professionals and whether they can safely operate a truck.
“If he doesn’t know how his own truck works, and if he doesn’t know about logs, it would indicate to us he is a recent hire by the drug cartels to transport this cargo,” Graves told Land Line Now. “That’s how we felt about this guy, that he was just hired to do that. We don’t think he was a professional driver.”
The driver, who was arrested near the U.S.-Mexico border, is working with authorities and remains in custody, Graves said.
Arizona DPS did not say whether the truck was associated with the drug cartel or had been hijacked.
Graves said in recent years cartels have increasingly paid individuals to courier drugs from various points through drug trafficking networks.
“They will pay $5,000 to rent a car and transport drugs to folks like this gentlemen, who are driving commercial vehicles disguised as legitimate loads when in fact they’re carrying an enormous amount of drugs,” Graves said. “It shows a level of desperation by the cartels to get their product into this country. What they don’t plan on is we are on to them and we have special interdiction units specifically looking for this type of operation.”
Copyright © 2011 OOIDA

Information for this article was contributed by Land Line Now Reporter Reed Black.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
In construction, landscaping, restaraunt, any industry that requires unskilled labor the typicial worker is Hispanic. There is also a large pool of illegals that will soon be legal. Truck driving jobs look great to these people. And carriers will lovingly embrace them just as the fore mentioned industrys did. Forty years ago I worked with a company that did contract work (mostly cleaning) for the steel mills. The job paid 10$ an hour; a good wage at that time. Ten years later the job paid minimum wage and the staff was 99% hispanic. This can and probably will happen to the trucking industry. You say, well this is necessary to compete in a globalized economy. I say, not really. The greatest market the world will ever know was created by the middle class American worker. The products they made were stamped "Made In America" and were the best available any where. Problems started when our industries began failing to inovate, retool. and modernize. They started trying to compete on the bottom line instead of the quality line which was impossible with our standard of living. Then along came NAFTA and more treaties. Walmart would scream bloody murder if we imposed a tariff on China products. But, could you see Walmart telling Target they could open stores inside Walmart stores without contributing to the overhead. We have now advanced to the point where our products are just as crappy as the rest of the worlds, it takes two working family members to earn a middle class wage and our children are being raised by strangers. Isn't the globalized economy great. It really irks me when are leaders talk about moving forward. It should be very obvious to all that the proper direction is backwards. Of course this is just my opinion but I don't think I have said anything that is untrue. Maybe someone could explain to me why our corporations, government and unions are trying to destroy the only thing that can make this country great again; our middle class citizens.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We have now advanced to the point where our products are just as crappy as the rest of the worlds, it takes two working family members to earn a middle class wage and our children are being raised by strangers. Isn't the globalized economy great. It really irks me when are leaders talk about moving forward. It should be very obvious to all that the proper direction is backwards.

Jim, and CL,

1 - economics has a lot to do with this, one part is that everyone wants cheap stuff = personal economics. When we talk about the country's economics, it is about jobs and business. The latter has to do with how the country, any country has economic ebb and flow with the import and export market and how the transfer of wealth and money causes jobs to expand or contract. It is very simple but the lessons have been lost by unions and others who keep saying that the unions created the middle or working class when they had nothing to do with it.

2 - what we consider as part of the problem, wages, are directly related to the amount of taxes we pay, not to the job base in this country. If middle class wages are set say at $40k for example, then the taxes that are paid out (combined taxes) are greater than those in the past where taxes didn't exceed more than 5% of the wage. This means that the net income is a lot less, meaning a lot less buying power for the buck, and hence the reason why with our consumerism style attitude, there has to be multiple incomes to "make it".

3 - leaders can only do one thing, get out of the way. If Mexicans arrive on our shore, then we need to deal with that issue by changing the way we work, not looking for ways to stop them. Canadians are here, and so are Mexicans in smaller quantity but neither group will kill the trucking industry faster than the trucker themselves.

4 - We have been a globalized for more than 100 years. The major reason for our depression in the 30's was because of the tariff war we started, not because of the stock market crash and what prolonged that depression was spending money at a greater rate than we were collecting it in taxes.

5 - I know about the teamsters, a number of family members were organizers in the 50's and worked directly with Hoffa, Fitzsimmons, Tobin and Beck - those names should sound familiar. I learned a lot growing up in a family of union members (UAW, Teamsters, IBEW, IBOE, IMW and others) and supporters. One thing that sticks out is the old time union people wouldn't have tolerated the BS that is going on now - mainly calling for the legalization of people who have invaded our country. To them this is a sell out of the country and union. James Hoffa's position isn't borne out of the need to protect the worker but rather to gain members and this comes from the Teamster's Blog.

Walmart is an interesting thing because their preditor days seem to be in the past. They too have been having serious problems with competition, even though their profits are high. I think one of the things that are missed is their overseas operations are making a lot of money while I don't see the store openings as much as I did a few years ago. Unlike the union line "we support walmart by paying for the worker's welfare", I know a number of them are paid better than most. BUT with that said, many also forget that there used to be entry level work, most have demanded to be paid top dollar coming out of highschool.

1984redux

Hey everybody,

My name is Andy Curtiss I am a published author and I also write for the Fort Worth Independent Libertarian Examiner. I am not a trucker and know very little about the industry personally. I am on this forum looking to collect as much factual and legitimate information as possible regarding these "Mexican Truckers". I was recently contacted by a friend on the Facebook page for one of my books 1984 Redux; in regard to the revival of the Mexican trucker program. I have read a lot of articles on it thus far, but in order for me to draw a complete picture for my readers I need as much info as possible; to include:

• Actual Statistics
  • #s of companies that will be affected nationwide and along border states
  • Estimated numbers of jobs that will be lost
  • Estimated amounts of lost revenue to American truckers and Companies to include distribution centers
  • Charts
  • Graphs
  • View points from politician
  • How this action is / is not constitutional and or how it violates American Constitutional liberties
  • How this affects the taxpayer
  • etc. etc.

It is important that I receive "no **** facts" and not just opinions. As a red blooded American I am on your side and want to provide the most fair and factual information as possible in order to help get the word out. With that said, I thoroughly intend to publish the facts regardless of how it may affect either view point. Please respond to this thread with as much info as possible or contact me at [email protected] with Mexican Truckers in the subject heading. Thanks in advance and thank you all for keeping America going.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey Andy glad you were able to check in here, as I told you before I am reading some articles about this and hope to have more and more accurate info soon. Just so that everyone is aware I was the one who mentioned this site to Andy because I know the type of articles he writes and I did go to school with him, so he is not just a spammer.

• Actual Statistics

• The statistics at this point have shown during the open comment period most viewed this as a negative. The FMCSA tried to claim that Mexican drivers were safer than American drivers and OOIDA brought up this: "In the span of one year, Sept. 21, 2006, through Sept. 21, 2007, the four Mexican motor carriers amassed more than 1,700 violations. One of the companies averaged more than 112 violations per truck for the 10 power units in the fleet during that year."

[*]#s of companies that will be affected nationwide and along border states

I do not have a number here but basic reasoning here says all companies will be impacted by this. They are bringing in companies/drivers in that have a lower cost of operating, lower standard of living, and can drive more since they won't have to worry about HOS in Mexico.

[*]Estimated numbers of jobs that will be lost
    [*]Estimated amounts of lost revenue to American truckers and Companies to include distribution centers

There is no way to really estimate a specific number here because there are so many industries that are impacted by the freight industry. The financial impact will be wide spread as wages and jobs decrease because of this. It is a very strange situation since Obama originally stopped it and this is one of the administrations that spent billions on the auto industry to prevent auto companies from having problems because they were worried how far it would reach if auto companies failed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here's a fact.

A lot of what is floating around is speculation with no supportive facts. Many of the article writers refuse to use actual regulatory information from Mexico or travel there to find out first hand while also adding assumptions of the industry south of the border that is not true.

Here is another fact.

The Teamsters can not organize in Mexico because of the Mexican government's laws on how unions operate. This is different from the way the US and Canada operate and one of the reasons that the Teamsters are fighting the entry of Mexican trucks into the US. A lot of the same propaganda that is accepted as fact comes from the Teamsters.

Here is another fact.

The Mexican trucking program is incapable to effect a downward trend in rates compared to the Canadian trucking industry operating in the US. By far the Canadian trucks that cross the boarder are estimated to be three to one against the future Mexican trucks crossing the boarder - source DHS/ICE information office.

Here is another fact.

The preconceived notion that Mexicans all are poor dirt farmers or drunks who can't drive is the same preconceived notion that we have that all the people who are working in India work in call centers and live in absolute poverty. The funny thing is I find that the average Mexican seems to be driving the same cars we do paying maybe a little less for that car, paying for food about the same cost as we do and dress in cloths that cost about the same. I could not figure out why would a Mexican who is driving a Mercedes want to go to walmart in the US to buy food and stuff until one of them told me it is cheaper here.

I would suggest for things like HOS, insurance and licensing, call the Mexican embassy and get the right facts in print like I did.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'll sure that this must have been answered somewhere but are Mexican trucks allowed to bring fully fueled trucks over the border, thereby paying far less in fuel costs and no taxes, especially road taxes?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll sure that this must have been answered somewhere but are Mexican trucks allowed to bring fully fueled trucks over the border, thereby paying far less in fuel costs and no taxes, especially road taxes?

Why not? American trucks are allowed to bring fully fueled trucks over the border into Canada, thereby paying far less in fuel costs :D

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Well I heard that Guatemalans are going to be driving . They will all be given 6in thick old Webster dictionary's to help them see over the steering wheel and midgets will work the brakes,clutch, and fuel feed. Mite be a DOT reg on that, u think?:eek:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
"Here is another fact.

The Mexican trucking program is incapable to effect a downward trend in rates compared to the Canadian trucking industry operating in the US. By far the Canadian trucks that cross the boarder are estimated to be three to one against the future Mexican trucks crossing the boarder - source DHS/ICE information office. " - Greg334

How is an estimate a "fact"?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Here is another fact.

The Mexican trucking program is incapable to effect a downward trend in rates compared to the Canadian trucking industry operating in the US. By far the Canadian trucks that cross the boarder are estimated to be three to one against the future Mexican trucks crossing the boarder - source DHS/ICE information office. " - Greg334

How is an estimate a "fact"?

The fact is the program is incapable to effect a downward trend in rates compared to the Canadian truckers already operating in the US. The numbers come from the source that controls the border which they are estimating a 3 to 1 ratio of trucks but reading the notes, they are saying right now there is a 50 to 1 ratio.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The fact is the program is incapable to effect a downward trend in rates compared to the Canadian truckers already operating in the US. The numbers come from the source that controls the border which they are estimating a 3 to 1 ratio of trucks but reading the notes, they are saying right now there is a 50 to 1 ratio.

So they expect a 3 to 1 ratio of trucks from another country and you think this will not impact rates. You have more companies going after freight and they have lower operating costs, that causes rates to go down.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

fortwayne

Not a Member
While the Teamsters may be against the Mexican trucks they are in full support of revamping our HOS cutting it back to 10/13. Thus more drivers needed thus more union drivers at their companies they're at.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App