mexican trucks in america are a fact.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
LOL, yea I am really worried about losing those trips to Laredo...I have been there once in the last 6 months lol..but the fact is the border town freight is what will get moved by them, but it will go direct instead of through the logistic warehouse in the border towns, so yea there could be a loss of some of that expedite freight.. and as long as they are living here as a legal citizen and driving for an American company. more power to them...

You know Dennis, you really need to get out of the van and see what's going on down there, there is so much work that is full truckload and some LTL stuff way outside the reach of any expediter that the Mexican trucking companies participation on our side of the border will not impact our work in any measurable amount.

There will still be the logistic warehouses, there will be cross border work and so on - as there is for Canadian imports/exports.

The ones who have to actually worry are the dedicated tractor drivers who haul into Mexico and those who are hauling out of Mexico to Wal-Mart, GE, Philips, and other distribution hubs. This is the same as the food exporters in Mexico will use their trucks as they always have to haul lettuce, tomatoes and other veggies into the US but now will deliver to Chicago and St Louis warehouses.

I really can't see a massive move in the owner operator field that will drive rates down or cause carnage on the highways.

MY entire position is that much of this stuff is already happening with Mexican companies already having US authorities and trucks that can and do travel all over the country.

My position is too much propaganda and stereotyping has taken place, much of it comes from the Teamsters and within this industry which not one thing has had a shred of proof to back it up - from wages to fuel to the condition of the trucks.

My opinion is the American Trucking industry has fallen flat on its a** and refuses to actually be united on any and all subjects. This include the American Trucker who rather complain and cry about one issue while ignoring other important issues but always stay separated by their independence.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Island for sale... cheap. You guys who believe there's anything positive about this will surely want your own island as well. Prices dropping due to giving away more jobs? Dream on. Not affecting us? Dream on. It will take away a lot of jobs that would go to people here if they weren't going to foreigners. Bad for Americans. Period. The end.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
I have to ask again where is the proof?

No one seems to be bringing any proof to the discussion just repeating the same thing over and over and over - we are going to lose jobs, we are going to see the rates drop, we are going to see people killed but not one bit of proof of any of those seems to be posted ANYWHERE. We have had over 10 years with a large amount of Mexican drivers on this side of the border in the southwest region of this country all operating under US authorities which give them the same access to the same freight as anyone else gets.

Somewhere on this Internet thing is a good explanation on how the Mexican trucking industry actually works (NO I don't have a link to it, but it is out there) and what the process is like for someone getting into the cab. From that thorough explanation and what I have read at the actual Mexican government sites, I found out that it isn't the hodgepodge that is talked about when this subject is raised any where nor is it the mess that people seem to claim exists. One thing that sticks out about driving with a Mexican commercial drivers license is this responsibility that the driver has - if they get into an accident and it is their fault, it isn't a ticket or a fine they have to worry about but jail time which puts a lot of burden on the driver not to drive like an idiot.

I think also what is bothering me the most about the negitive rhetoric towards truckers from Mexico is that no one seems to think that these same issues that may or may not cause by the possibility of Mexican drivers are actually caused by the people who are "citizens" driving trucks on our roads right now. Everything from crap on the roads (take a good look at a lot of container hauling trucks lately?) to people accepting what others consider "cheap freight" to people driving like idiots and causing fatalities on the road. To me if we are going to b*tch about other drivers coming into the country, we need to make sure the issues are unique to them and caused by them, not common issues that we are too lazy to fix or even admit to.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The Mexican trucks are going to be just like the Canadian trucks.Pick up out side USA delpiver USA,Pick up USA go back to their own countries.As far as the Mexicans coming up here,most are driving Texas trucks.I have not seen a Mexican truck north of the border towns

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
another thing,I believe to drive in the states you have to be able to read and understand english.Most of the Mexicans can't so thats why you only see them in the border towns

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My evidence is in the same place as yours that it isn't going to be a problem and not going to harm anyone. The only difference is that mine is right and yours is wrong. I can't give you specifics of who will be harmed but anyone knows if thousands of Mexican drivers are allowed to drive from Ciudad Juarez to Indy, Detroit etc. to unload and then reload and drive back to Ciudad Juarez those are loads no longer going to citizens of the U.S.. You don't have to agree with me but I am right about the detrimental effect of this decision.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope alabama does away with their cdl tests in spanish before all of the mexicans come here to take the test.here they give adrivers written test in spanish but a couple legislators want it given in english.for whole story look in some of the newspaper articles in the state. Just read about it this week.to long to print here.

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Greg the proof is when u see a truck from mexico hauling freight in our country. That is freight we could be hauling. That is lost revenue for somebody. If they hauling it we cant. We need to create jobs. There is a job shortage. We have more people graduating college and high school every year. These people need jobs.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
"You know Dennis, you really need to get out of the van and see what's going on down there, there is so much work that is full truckload and some LTL stuff way outside the reach of any expediter that the Mexican trucking companies participation on our side of the border will not impact our work in any measurable amount. "

The Teamsters are not just looking out for the Truck Drivers the are looking out for EVERY WORKER IN THE USA . How many USA Worker lost their jobs because the company move to another Country. Drive around and look out the window your self Greg look and see what is going on here in the USA . How many Ma&Pa stores, shops do you see still open . Why were Unions Started . Yes there may be corruption in them now but what do they stand for .
Greg do you still believe in the Tooth Fairy , Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny . Because you believe in every thing you see ,hear what is on TV or in the newspaper . and you are not smart enough to think for yourself . there is always two sides of a storey . and what you read or watch is always one sided. You need to take your blinders off . You know what they put on *******es so they can on see what is right in front of them . look in the background of the news you watch will tell you more than what the reporter will ever be able to tell you.

Sounds like Greg needs to get out of his little box and see what is going on in the REAL world . I talked to one rich guy and he said he would never treat people bad . so I guess all the rich people think the same way too . right Greg . Just like that one Mexican driver you talked to .

how can any body tell you what is going to happen in the FUTURE . You want PROOF what is going on in Mexico right now people are getting killed about every day and it has been going on for years .How about how many JOBLESS are there in the USA NOW .

We have people from Peru , Argentina, Indians ,Pakistanis, Brazilians ,Colombians, Canadians ,Europeans, Chinese and Aussies in cabs of trucks hauling freight here in the US. And how many of them got HELP form OUR GOVERNMENT FROM THE TAXES FROM THE USA WORKING PEOPLE. AND HOW MUCH DO THOSE PEOPLE PAY IN TAXES . OH that’s right most of them don’t have to pay taxes . JUST like why is it about every Motel and Gas Station is owned ,ran by MIDDLE EAST PEOPLE . there is a special Grant just for them to get the Motels and Gas stations . WHERE IS THE SPECIAL GRANT FOR THE PEOPLE BORN IN THE USA .OR EVEN FOUGHT FOR THE USA. And I am not just talking about the Fighters of today I am also talking about OUR FORE FATHERS THAT STARTED THE USA AND WROTE THE Constitution of the United States

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Greg the proof is when u see a truck from mexico hauling freight in our country. That is freight we could be hauling. That is lost revenue for somebody. If they hauling it we cant. We need to create jobs. There is a job shortage. We have more people graduating college and high school every year. These people need jobs.

That's already happening - thats the problem with the argument people are trying to make.

It doesn't matter, simply because (using Leo's reasoning) US citizens are already losing freight to those nasty foreigners who come here and take jobs away from Americans.

The Mexicans are only one small part of a large picture and it seems that there is enough freight for everyone because if there wasn't, then way is there this constant drone about a driver's shortage starting again?

From a driver's point of view, I can't see the real concern.

BUT from a carrier's point of view, it is devastating because the carrier will now have another carrier to compete with. They may not like to adjust their margins or even consider that some of their dedicated work may not be theirs in the future.

AND from the Teamster's point of view, they can't organize those truckers across the border for a number of legal reasons, which makes it a loss in revenue, not a loss to their members. THIS is what people just seem to refuse to understand.

The problem with jobs isn't about a few thousand truckers getting their work here who live over there, but real jobs that don't depend on an inconsistent market - truckers seem to be the first line in the economic defense (so to speak) and the work they get is directly tied to what people buy. SO if we have another downturn in the economy, I don't think that the Mexican trucker will have the advantage because there won't be a lot of freight to move.

BUT I digress ...

The problem is we don't have the manufacture base any more, we have some but not enough to sustain us and that is because we want cheap stuff as a nation. Much of this is blamed by the unions because the company has taken their work somewhere else due to the high cost of labor, while other factors involved the tax system in this country. SO if we really want jobs, we can't change the consumer's attitude but we can change the tax system.

Now with that said, one last thing - regardless where the truck and driver comes from, they have to deal with the same margins - the cost of running that truck on the road hence the rates can't drop any farther than what they are at now which is frikn' cheap. From maintenance to fuel to insurance - it seems to me that it all pretty much the same thing whether it is from Canada or Mexico or the great country they call California, the amounts may be a little different but they are within 10% of each other. Oh and by the way, if anyone wants to really b*tch about the rates, don't work for companies that give anything less than a $1 a mile for vans and $1.75 a mile for straight trucks otherwise you are causing the same job loses.

cclooper,

The job loss thing is funny, how many jobs are lost because the wages are so high the companies can't afford to use the workers?

How about GM and Chrysler, where the UAW was paid off but people still lost their jobs?

TO many in this country the teamsters are an Un-American union, they are demanding things that are not part of any protection of any American worker.

If they actually supported things like tax reform, like less business regulations and other things that spur job growth, then many more would go to the side of the union but when they are concern about Egypt and overpaid public sector workers, the average person doesn't give a crap about the union.

BUT if anyone is going to talk about jobs going overseas and are for open borders and legalizing people who invaded our country, they are no good at all for either the country or any worker they represent - from their blog, 09/02

"Two years ago, the Teamsters Union pledged its support for fairer immigration policies, sought to help millions of immigrants win union representation and supported amnesty for workers committed to the U.S.

“These proposals will take us beyond amnesty,” Hoffa said.
THAT POSITION HAS NOT CHANGED

You got to ask yourself if a person who has invaded our country so "committed to the US" then why did they invade the country instead of following the laws?

If anyone is living in lala land it is anyone who supports a union that supports this form of immigration that takes jobs away from any hard working American. Why should someone who invaded our country, steal a Social Security number and got a job have a union try to fight for them to stay here?

Isn't an American who is born and raised here good enough?

Not to them and this is because they don't want people to be independent but to be dependent on them.

You do know the game they are playing with those who have invaded?

Of course you do if you defend them like that.

You do know that they have a whole legal group who will help someone who invaded our country with their legal and immigration issues?

IT IS ABOUT MEMBERSHIP AND THE MONEY THAT COMES FROM IT, NOT PROTECTION OF THE COUNTRY OR THE WORKERS.

I am asking the proof of the repeated statements about wages, safety and other things that everyone repeats. NOT one person here has brought proof of that because they refused to counter my statements. IT isn't a future issue, that's the problem with a lot of people because it is already happening and already been enough proof that it can be presented here and other places.

I didn't talk to one driver, I talked to several and I wasn't afraid to ask questions to find answers which I did - have you?

By the way I have nothing against any person who has invaded this country, I want them to do it legally for their own protection.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Greg....you need a hobby or something....you are always on here flapping your gums as if you the end all be all....as if what you say is the gospel.....can you be wrong and ADMIT it some time.....underwater basket weaving might be up you alley.....geeeeeeess

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I happen to agree with Greg's position...there is NO proof...only the garbage the ATA and Teamsters are spouting...and would one not believe that they are just a bit bias?
Like the driver shortage debate? If there really was a shortage then wouldn't filling the gap with Mexican drivers fill the need?