May Locations

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the concept 100%! Problem is often the person calling in the load is a 3pl for example. If we ask them to call the customer back and request that info, I can tell you what the end result will be......

... the customer will look for a new 3PL company.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
LOL, I wish it was just sooooo easy. Often times they will email 3 or 4 carriers looking for coverage on a straight truck from A to B. One or two answer they have coverage and their rate. We respond wanting to know dims...... What do we all think is going to happen to the load?

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
The same will be said next month too right??? We need to stop bein stubborn an run freight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Why is that? Do you somehow suffer the illusion that the industry will collapse without your aid?
Fact is this, as long as people continue to haul cheaply there will always be more out there willing to do it for less...basic economics.
Cheaper loads same wear and tear leads to I can't fix my truck because I have no money.
But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Most of us out here have to work for it. I have done the running willy nilly for some time now and it has garnered nothing but under the poverty level.
So keep begging for the cheap stuff, and learn baltic because in the long run you are just as ignorant as you sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just curious if you know you're cost per mile...fuel, ins, maint, repairs..are you sure it would be feasible to run that low? Would you turn a profit worth running for? Sounds to me like you may think of yourself as a "Commodity" who would rather have "Volume" than better pay, less miles. Work smarter, not harder, Todd....
You'd have to define "better pay." More pay per mile is great, but only if you actually get miles. I'd much rather run 2000 miles a week for 90 cents a mile than 500 miles a week for $1.50 a mile. You'd also have to define "smarter." And yes, I do know my CPM.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The same will be said next month too right??? We need to stop bein stubborn an run freight...
I tend to agree. Smarter or harder? Smarter works for a little while, but it eventually gets to the point where smarter ain't so smart anymore. If I have to work a little harder to survive, well that's OK.

Speaking of working harder, and of dims and weight...

12 pieces, 30x30x30, 2500 pounds is what it said. Yep.

IMG_20130506_181416_120a_zps668dcdfe.jpg

Managed to get all that in a two-skid Sprinter. Wadn't EZ but we Got-R-Dun. :D

guido4475

Not a Member
You'd have to define "better pay." More pay per mile is great, but only if you actually get miles. I'd much rather run 2000 miles a week for 90 cents a mile than 500 miles a week for $1.50 a mile. You'd also have to define "smarter." And yes, I do know my CPM.

My numbers speak for themselves, and are quite impressive, indeed. I am very content with what they say.It works for me, and are right up there with OVM's numbers as well, even though we both have different ways of thinking and doing business.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The problem as I see it with running cheaper freight. The "if" factors into it too much. It would be great to run 2000 miles at .90 cpm "if" you could get it, "if" consistently, and "if" your just not running cheaper loads to sit just as much.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem as I see it with running cheaper freight. The "if" factors into it too much. It would be great to run 2000 miles at .90 cpm "if" you could get it, "if" consistently, and "if" your just not running cheaper loads to sit just as much.

All I know is, all this "running smart" has me running for barely enough to eat on every week. No exaggeration. So, "if" I can run smart and have enough money to get the injector seals fixed, great, but so far that ain't happening. And it hasn't been happening since November, which is how long I've had this Black Death thing going on.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is that? Do you somehow suffer the illusion that the industry will collapse without your aid?
Fact is this, as long as people continue to haul cheaply there will always be more out there willing to do it for less...basic economics.
Cheaper loads same wear and tear leads to I can't fix my truck because I have no money.
But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Most of us out here have to work for it. I have done the running willy nilly for some time now and it has garnered nothing but under the poverty level.
So keep begging for the cheap stuff, and learn baltic because in the long run you are just as ignorant as you sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums mobile app

Your quite the funny guy scott...WOW...Lol if running $.90 cpm is dumb during these slow times an I cannot survive on it that's noones fault but my own... But lets see...2 loads a week at 1000 miles for 1.15 is $1150... 3 loads a week at 2000 miles at .90 cpm is $1800 ill take the 1800...lets see that's $33800 more per year...Tell me plz where that's bad??? I'm not saying always...Just while its slow...An read my lips...No need to change what we bill our existing customer base...Only what we bid on the boards and email quotes $.90 cpm to our trucks will get us more freight...That's all I'm sayin...Right now look at things like this is a shippers market...Lots of trucks less freight gotta compete to get freight...Later maybe june or so it'll be a Haulers market lots of freight lots of trucks name your price on hauling it...Right???!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I missed the simple comment, but then again, I've missed alot by not being here for the last few months..That being said, No one want to run or less per mile if we don't have to or unless it benefits the individual on a per load basis. I have had 3 loads back to back that i made the mistake that at one time wasn't a mistake, I took them without asking what they paid the truck..my bad in the last yr..but they came over for less then is being talked about here.. But I ran them because i commitmented to them...

I have my issues with some of what i feel is going on and with load planning. Like when they call not having diamension and count is bad enough, but when you ask what it pays and they tell you "I don't know between X and Z" that doesn't fly..they know what they are bidding it at, they know my %..to want me to make a business decision based on something like that, is not only ignorant, its lazy....

Now as for running more miles for less per mile, Do you really want to run less consistently for another company when you consider everything else that Load 1 offers??? Not me...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well welcome back Dennis! If someone tells you a rate between this and that let me know. I am not sure why that would happen but I am more than happy to find out why and correct it if need be.

On a bright not the averages are slowly but steadily climbing. Today saw the lowest average fleet sit time we have had this year.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not having dimension and weight doesn't bother me in the least. If I show up and it doesn't fit, it ain't my fault. The main reason not having dims and weight doesn't bother me is because many times the shippers themselves don't yet know what the dims or weight will be, especially with auto freight when they are trying to build the parts as fast as they can and will ship whatever they can build by the ship time. It's very understandable to not have the numbers when the call is placed for the truck.

It's also understandable, albeit infuriating, when the requested floor space is lost in translation amongst a sea of 3PLs by the time the load gets to my QC. It's infuriating because the shipper requests, say, 14-feet of floor space, and you show up with a Sprinter, and he looks at you like you're a friggin' moron with one of your thumbs well hidden. I love being put in situations like that. It helps keep my personal and diplomatic skills stropped. :cool:

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Not having dimension and weight doesn't bother me in the least. If I show up and it doesn't fit, it ain't my fault. The main reason not having dims and weight doesn't bother me is because many times the shipper themselves don't yet know what the dims or weight will be, especially with auto freight when they are trying to build the parts as fast as the can and will ship whatever they can have built by the ship time. It's very understandable to not have the numbers when the call is placed for the truck.

It's also understandable, albeit infuriating, when the requested floor space is lost in translation amongst a sea of 3PLs by the time the load gets to my QC. It's infuriating because the shipper requests, say, 14-feet of floor space, and you show up with a Sprinter, and he looks at you like you're a friggin' moron with one of your thumbs well hidden. I love being put in situations like that. It helps keep my personal and diplomatic skills stropped. :cool:

I admit I am googling stropped.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I admit I am googling stropped.
Sorry. "Honed" or "sharp"

Except, "stropped" is finer and more polished.

It's a knife sharpening thing. Straight razors and very sharp straight edged knives get stropped, usually on a leather strap (or stroppus, which is where the term originated from) much like using a steel on a kitchen knife to tighten, straighten and smooth out the edge. :D