Maximum amount of dead miles

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's like asking someone, "What's the maximum number of times you will pee in a year?" The answer of course, is, however many it takes.

I take the odometer reading on January 1, and subtract that from the odometer reading on December 31. That's the total miles I've driven for the year. From that number I subtract the number of paid miles I've driven for the year, and the result is my deadhead miles for the year. I divide the deadhead miles by the total miles driven, and it better be 35% or less, otherwise I've made some bad decisions in the previous year that I need not repeat in the coming year (like chasing freight when I should have sat, going home too often or running around too much while I'm at home, etc.). Now, if that 35% is 375,331 miles, so be it, because that means I drove more than a million miles last year, with more than 697,000 of them being paid miles. I'm tired just thinking about it. But that's OK, 'cause now I'm rich. I need to pee.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When paid on percentage the authorized dead head miles do not mean as much as long as the load pays enough to take it. The longer our paid dead head miles are the better we like it as we are getting our best fuel mileage with less wear and tear on the truck.

ZAGG81

Active Expediter
That's like asking someone, "What's the maximum number of times you will pee in a year?" The answer of course, is, however many it takes.

I take the odometer reading on January 1, and subtract that from the odometer reading on December 31. That's the total miles I've driven for the year. From that number I subtract the number of paid miles I've driven for the year, and the result is my deadhead miles for the year. I divide the deadhead miles by the total miles driven, and it better be 35% or less, otherwise I've made some bad decisions in the previous year that I need not repeat in the coming year (like chasing freight when I should have sat, going home too often or running around too much while I'm at home, etc.). Now, if that 35% is 375,331 miles, so be it, because that means I drove more than a million miles last year, with more than 697,000 of them being paid miles. I'm tired just thinking about it. But that's OK, 'cause now I'm rich. I need to pee.

Yeah I know its a stupid question, I was just curious. But thanks for the info.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not if you listen to recruiters :eek:

who listens to recruiters?LOL

Ya see WHAT is a deadhead mile.....if you get paid to move, is that a deadhead mile? your fuel is covered?....like a paid mile but not under load?....recruiters are indeed a numbers twisting type...

I would say a true deadhead mile is one that you are not in any way compensated for....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I know its a stupid question, I was just curious. But thanks for the info.

It is really not that stupid...brings up the point...

By definition...What constitutes a deadhead mile....what is the definition of a deadhead mile?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But also OVM, putting into context of one's operations and the way the figure things out is more important than how it is defined.

There are a few of us who make good rates and have very high DH, more than 100% so it doesn't matter if one is making what is required for them to make.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But also OVM, putting into context of one's operations and the way the figure things out is more important than how it is defined.

There are a few of us who make good rates and have very high DH, more than 100% so it doesn't matter if one is making what is required for them to make.

Very true Greg...if the rate exceeds what you need to be profitable..then the excess can be applied towards the DH side of the ledger....amazing how many don't think that way though........they'll take the excellent rate per mile and complain about the DH.....
You have to make your ALL miles rate....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But see OVM, there is a bit more to the DH issue that may be missed by those who run the hodgepodge way of getting revenue. It isn't always about what is profitable but how the revenue is generated for the next load or series of loads.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say a true deadhead mile is one that you are not in any way compensated for....
I like this definition. Since I get paid dh to the shipper, which usually just about covers the price of fuel, no longer consider this as dh miles. For me deadhead involves going home or relocating on my own to another area.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Paid DH at Panther is roughly ¼ of a paid loaded mile, so that's how I figured it when I was there. If I had 100 paid DH miles, I counted it as 75 DH miles (uncompensated miles). I did that in order to get a more accurate figure of uncompensated miles versus paid loaded miles for my overall DH percentage for both work-related and non-work related miles. For me, it gives me a better handle on my cost per mile, which still costs me whether I'm deadheading while in-service, or deadheading around town while at home.

I do my monthly, quarterly and annual MPG figures the same way - total miles driven according to the odometer divided by total gallons consumed. Both idling and Espar heater usage affects the end result, skewing the road MPG somewhat, but it's an accurate figure of what it costs me to operate the van.