Mattress Suggestion

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Whatever kind of truck or van you have, you spend a lot of time on your matress. Allow me to share a discovery that has made a profound difference in the quality of sleep Diane and I get in our truck, both when moving and not. With minimal installation effort, it can be used in any truck or van that has matress space built in.

It is the Select Comfort Sleep Number(TM) matress with a pillow top.

http://www.selectcomfort.com/index.cfm

On a friend's suggestion, we put one in our truck. The truck was parked the first night we used the mattress. We awoke utterly amazed at the sleep-quality difference it made. It is difficult to describe in words, but we awoke feeling more rested and relaxed than any time we could remember.

This mattress is more comfortable than any we have owned in the past or slept on in any high-end hotel; and way-more comfortable than any truck matress we've slept on (or tried to sleep on).

Our Select Comfort is a full-size mattress that accepts standard sheets and blankets. With the sleep number feature, we can each dial in a sleep number setting for our half of the bed. Our bed folds down from the sleeper's back wall.

When Diane is driving, I like to dial the bed's truck-forward side (the left side of the bed) to its maximum (100) and the rearward side to a low setting (25-35). That creates a cozy low spot in which to sleep. With a pillow between me and the rear wall, the the mattress's pillow top underneath, and a higher portion of the matress on the forward side to check the tendacy to roll forward when Diane steps on the brakes, I can lay in a comfortable cacoon of sorts and enjoy a luxurious night's sleep. High-thread-count sheets, additional pillows and a soft blanket complete the effect.

The matress can be set to firm, soft and settings in between. That comes in handy when going over rough roads. The ride in the bed can be made way-more comfortable than the ride in the driver's or passenger's seats; and way-more comfortable than any truck mattress we've used.

High-altitude driving is no problem. I once set the bed at 100 in the flats to see if it would explode while going over Vale pass (about 10,000 feet). It didn't. It will self-inflate some as your altitude increases but that is easily fixed with the remote control.

These matresses are available in a variety of sizes. They can be installed anywhere in a truck that a conventional matress can go, with one exception. There are a couple of air tubes that connect the matress to the pump box. The pump box runs off AC power so an inverter is required to run it. Space near the bed is required to to position the box. As long as it is plugged into the inverter or an inverter-fed outlet, the box can be put out of sight and out of the way. Depending on the truck, a foundation may need to be fabricated for the mattress and tubes. Ordinary lumber will suffice for that.

All expediters know how important it is to get not only enough sleep on the road, but good sleep too. The difference Diane and I found in Select Comfort over other truck mattresses we have slept on is profound. It is a difference worth exploring by anyone who sleeps in a truck. The price is higher, but you may find the added comfort to be worth it.

Select Comfort has a 30 day return policy. If you try and don't like it, you can return the bed for a full refund, less shipping costs.

This bed discovery could not have been made at a better time. With HOS replacing 5/5 hour drive/sleep shifts with 10/10, getting good sleep is more important than ever. Select Comfort helps us do so.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have had a queen size Select Comfort(TM) bed in our home for about 4 years. It's the most comfortable bed we have ever owned. I am surprised more people don't have them in trucks. Especially in a fold down bunk step-up.

We moved to a new house and this was the easiest bed to move. No problems going around corners or up stairs.

I don't believe that these beds would work in a van. a standard twin mattress is 74" x 38". Most vans are about 72" wide. Even if it would fit the 34" width eats up alot of freight space.

For vans I recommend the MOOTBED (TM). I stripped down a love seat size hide-a-bed to only the wood frame. Tossed the POS mattress and replaced it with a self-inflating sleeping pad from Cabela's. This pad is 34'' x 76" and on top of this is a memory foam mattress cut to 34". With both valves open on the sleeping pad it and the foam can be folded up with the bed. When the bed is folded a large futon cushion is used for seating. Also when sleeping with freight on board (FOB) I lay cross-ways on top of the futon similar to my pre
MOOTBED (TM) days. With the bed in the open position I still have about four feet of space at the rear of the van. The futon is leaned against the bulkhead as a headboard. Great for reading in bed.

I have digital pics of the MOOTBED (TM) but can't get the software loaded on my computer. Hopefully I will be able to post these pictures soon. Next time my daughter stops I will enlist her technical services.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with the mattress choice but definitely not with the fold down installation. I'd find that a real chore... up down up down.

Personally I find there is nothing worse than having to setup a sleeping area each time whether one is looking for a good long snooze just a quick nap. It is like having to go through the chore of setting up camp prior to being able to hit the sack. Not fun when you spend a lot of time in the truck.

Also getting a good nights sleep has much to do with one's state of mind, ability to relax once they lay down and to a certain extent the pre-sleep ritual. If your state of mind and/or level of relaxation isn't right you won't have a good sleep regardless of the mattress.

I think the company should hire Phil as their spokesperson. :)

slinger44

Seasoned Expediter
I recommend the Slinger44Bed(TM). Four thousand three hundred seventytwo 16d nails driven through a sheet of 3/4" plywood.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK as I rip my sleeper apart to finish the van interior, I think this is great timing.

I would absolutly love a select comfort bed in my van but being cheap and knowing that a custom van bed from them isn't cheap - I have something like the Mootbed. Air matress with foam on top, except I have a way to adjust it either way like a select comfort bed. My sleep number is 0700.

Now I tried the Slinger44Bed a couple times and it really didn't feel as comfortable as it appeared in the brochure. I took the 10 day trial on the Slinger44Bed and had to return it after 5 days, the morning routine of cleaning blood up got to me.

I also agree with Paul, it is really important to have the right frame of mind and get a good nights sleep.

And as Paul hinted, "I think the company should hire Phil as their spokesperson" Maybe he is, he should be if he is not.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like to replace the mattress in the truck with a Tempurpedic but they aren't available (that I can find anywhere) in other than standard sizes. I also wonder if a Selectcomfort would be available in an odd size. Luckily, the truck comes with a fairly comfortable mattress but it could definitely be improved with either of these options.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I would like to replace the mattress in the truck with a
>Tempurpedic but they aren't available (that I can find
>anywhere) in other than standard sizes. I also wonder if a
>Selectcomfort would be available in an odd size. Luckily,
>the truck comes with a fairly comfortable mattress but it
>could definitely be improved with either of these options
Select Confort is not availaible in custom sizes. We got the twin size then had a high density piece of foam to fill out the platform.

I`m not sure I would again fork out $800.00 for the Select Comfort. I/We do not seem to receive the benefits others have reported. Maybe we were just expecting too much in compensating for these ROUGH,ROUGH roads.

If going for the Tempurpedic mattress, be sure the temp in the sleeper is always normal. Cold will make it stiffen up like a board.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Would LOVE to have a Select Comfort bed in the truck, but it's cost prohibitive at this time. :'(

Until then, our inner spring mattress with a memory foam topper will have to do. Just adding the topper made a world of difference.:7

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
We use one of the memory foam beds its about 8 inches thick, gr8 mattress just throw it over the stock one. we used a electric knife(turkey cuttin kind) to bring it from a queen size to a full size.
Best sub 200 dollar investment you can make, we do not feel those hard jolts of I78 thru NJ on this bed. Its a ride, but at least our spine doesnt collapse.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
>If you get a Memory Foam topper, it can be cut to fit with
>regular scissors. :)

Haha Must have been watchin when I cut mine.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, I got one of those memory mattresses from Wally World and it works great, also cut it to size with an electric knife and then topped it off with an egg crate type topper. Have a select comfort bed at home it IS wonderful but cost prohibitive in a van...tried one of those double high twin air mattresses and froze in the winter! :'(

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Kidding aside, Phil's post is likely more a product recommendation based on personal experience than a commercial.

If it was truly a commercial that was rewarded in some fashion, then it ceases to be a recommendation by default.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When I find something that works, my inclination is to share the good news. Many EO participants do this in the Open Forum and it would be great to see more do the same.

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
In addition to my last post on this subject; We just bought a heated mattress pad from walley world, woke up too many times cold last winter, fighting for blankets, etc( if you ask her, I always have 'em)
If we had an APU this might not be necessary, But if you like to shut down the truck or have the windows open this is a great way to enjoy the cool air around you while staying warm and snug.

NOTE TO ALL 4 WHEELERS: LEARN TO MERGE>>> YOU ALSO CANT MERGE A TRAIN OF CARS AT ONCE WHILE ON A GET ON RAMP.

x( :'( :-( :) :eek: :7 :+ MOTD...SMILE

vango

Expert Expediter
If ever in FT.Worth Tx.area,there is a mattress company called "The Original Mattress Co." They custom made my wife and I a 7 inch thick pillow top for our sprinter,its just like our regular at home mattress.Nice covering,it fits perfectly and the cost was very reasonible at 266.00.For custom fabrication its great