March 2019 .. Locations & More

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately I can't say, every damn page is stamped "unauthorized disclosure prohibited"

I'm certified to take anything that isn't classified as "forbidden" but the lack of an airtight partition will factor in
I would only take certain types of hazmat (I want to live as long as I can).

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still can't find the regulation for Ontario that says I need to cross scales with hazmat / DG but I'm sure it exists somewhere. Wouldn't that be too easy

(Ok before you all jump in, it says regulation must be followed if safety marks displayed. So my issue: displayed on what? The containment or van, meaning placarded loads only)

Reactions: NorthernBill

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still can't find the regulation for Ontario that says I need to cross scales with hazmat / DG but I'm sure it exists somewhere. Wouldn't that be too easy

(Ok before you all jump in, it says regulation must be followed if safety marks displayed. So my issue: displayed on what? The containment or van, meaning placarded loads only)
I believe it’s loads that weigh 1001 lbs or more which must be placarded (vehicle and freight). That’s the law in the US

Reactions: guido4475

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Different issue (unless that's what they mean by safety mark) and the TDG has a different placarding rule depending on the substance

Over 450 kg here means large means of containment and placards regardless tho (approx 1000 lbs)

Ok. Safety marks on small means of containment are labels, safety marks on large means of containment are placards...but they are both safety marks. Think that means I'm regulated in Ontario

Whoever wrote the regulations clearly didn't envision a small van taking hazmat. The first section says I'm exempt from commercial regulations and the Dangerous Goods act doesn't cover truck regulations

Reactions: NorthernBill

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another huge difference; your Hazmat covers commercial operations. Our Dangerous Goods covers EVERYBODY for hire or not

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok. Screenshot & printed all applicable Ontario "hazmat" laws as I'm sure the mto officer won't believe it either. It will be good practice playing with HOS and circle checks with no penalty :laughing: But as soon as I leave the province :dead:

We still have paper logs in Canada too :happy:

guido4475

Not a Member
fastman_1 made a career out of shorties...... i ran regional with a majority of out and backs. Not everybody wants to run all over North America.

I absolutely agree. I did my time being super stupid trucker running coast to coast non stop. One that sticks in my mind, and leaves me shaking my head as to why I was that stupid, was Whittakers, N.C., to Hayward, Ca. Slept 5 hours after unloading to get another load 13 miles south of Hayward going to Roseau, Mn. How I did that, I'll never know. That kind of suicidal thinking is why I'm paying the price physically now. It aint worth it anymore. But, I like to stay closer to home in case Mom needs me as well.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I absolutely love 300 miler and less runs. Id rather run those than a Detroit to Laredo, for example. I have my reasons and belifs that I wont comment on why I feel this way.
I am a fan also.
Stay safe
KG
fastman_1 made a career out of shorties...... i ran regional with a majority of out and backs. Not everybody wants to run all over North America.
I absolutely agree. I did my time being super stupid trucker running coast to coast non stop. One that sticks in my mind, and leaves me shaking my head as to why I was that stupid, was Whittakers, N.C., to Hayward, Ca. Slept 5 hours after unloading to get another load 13 miles south of Hayward going to Roseau, Mn. How I did that, I'll never know. That kind of suicidal thinking is why I'm paying the price physically now. It aint worth it anymore. But, I like to stay closer to home in case Mom needs me as well.
Even today, i shake my head when i hear guys want more miles.
Why?

guido4475

Not a Member
Even today, i shake my head when i hear guys want more miles.
Why?

Oh yea, I hear ya. It makes me laugh when someone comes up to me, and the standard questions come out of their mouths, such as, "are ya making any money??", and/or, "how many miles are you getting???"....lmao..

I look at the money I make, which had better be a much bigger number than the total miles I run. Work smarter, not harder, right?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been investigating mystery deductions lately. They eat at my paycheck.

Worst one is "fuel tax"

I pay fuel tax, every Canadian does. It's something like 80% of the cost of fuel, between pumping it out of the ground to pumping it in your tank.

This one they should have thought out better. One of the things they have holding you to the carrier is that fuel card. I'm not paying $50 per 2 weeks to pay their fuel bill, I can find my own cash lol

Reactions: RoadTime