Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear everything you're saying. I was just busting your chops lol. I have seen more than you would ever see on the show "COPS" as a dispatcher. I have seen just about everything imaginable.
don't be too sure about that...LOL I haven't been doing this all my life...but it sure as the heck feels like it....LOL

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is true OVM, but there will be a point when no one will be able to replace their trucks. When you are working a regular job, all you have to do is show up and collect a check. Expediting is one of the only jobs where you have to pay money to work. Even the fleet driver has to have the first two weeks of fuel and food money up front to get the job. When you work at wally world, you just ride the bus to work and you're in! You can even be homeless and still manage to get to work every day.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
In 08 rates went down and carriers never brought them back up. Many drivers were lost to being broke and it was busier for awhile I expect no different this time.. It won't be any different you all are screwed .... This is the new business model...hope you can either cut the fat, live on less or good bye... And I for one will not shed a tear at your exit.. For its just business not personal...
pray fuel climbs again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is true OVM, but there will be a point when no one will be able to replace their trucks. When you are working a regular job, all you have to do is show up and collect a check. Expediting is one of the only jobs where you have to pay money to work. Even the fleet driver has to have the first two weeks of fuel and food money up front to get the job. When you work at wally world, you just ride the bus to work and you're in! You can even be homeless and still manage to get to work every day.
unfortunately its a downward spiral.....thank God I'll be getting off this merry go round ....

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When it gets to the point (and some would argue that it has already gotten to the point) where drivers are no longer properly maintaining their vehicles, something bad is going to happen. We have very expensive machines to maintain just like factories do. If we cut the rates down too low, maintenance will become less of a priority and accidents will happen. There is only so low you can go in this business before you put the safety of the public at risk. I do agree that a lot of people will end up losing their shirts, that is unless they are die-hards and will be happy with a couple hundred dollars a week. I guess if you don't have a house and you are single, you could still make something out here. It does still beat working a 9-5. I actually work less as a driver than I ever did as a dispatcher. The only problem I have is direct delivery. Customers need to pay more money for direct delivery. We are not LTL carriers. I also think you sprinter guys need to start limiting your length and weight so that you're not giving away your full capacity for cargo van rates. Sprinter operators need that extra 10 cents per mile. I'm just sitting back and watching what will happen next.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
pray fuel climbs again
And your smoking what? What ever increase in FSC you get with never off set what you, your wife, brother, sister mother or father pay at the pump. Fuel dropped but the price of your wife's grocery bill didn't. And when it fell the grocery bill didn't drop.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
unfortunately its a downward spiral.....thank God I'll be getting off this merry go round ....

You remind me of my mother. She works in a dying field "data entry" and she feels bad for the new hires because the field is not what it used to be. Everyone says that about their field when they retire. My other friend says that Coned is not the same because they switched everyone over from company pensions to 401k plans. Industries change all of the time. Younger folks will always find a way to thrive. It is the way of life.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
sounds like a load to use a double up opportunity...broker could be looking to piggy back it.....you just can't read off the board..there is usually more to it.....
More to it like it requires a team because it delivers direct with no time for extra pickups. If it is a straight truck load it be sealed, then what?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Absolutely nothing wrong at .65 a mile in my opinion ..it is not up to me to judge others profit margins... we have no info on maybe personal reasons why the load was accepted... The news is in the details...
Nothing wrong when you're O/O, not a fleet driver. What's more, that run comes from MI and goes to AL...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
More to it like it requires a team because it delivers direct with no time for extra pickups. If it is a straight truck load it be sealed, then what?
remember the asking price? went to $1500 for a 2700 mile load....??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard some carrier in the process of lowering the flat rate by .05 from .80 to .75....while it doesn't sound like a lot.....It translates into approx. 6.1 % cut....now did the office staff/managers incur this cut as well?...dispatch? CEO's ? since they draw a wage...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recall that but what does that have to do with my reply that you quoted?
who would run a 2700 mile load for 30 some cents is what I was pointing out....and team direct drive at that....?....

also all that info would be in the load notes for which we are not privy to....and the whole topic is based on the assumption it would be a piggy back load aka double up opportunity especially at that price...

Last edited: