Loves Truck stop Florida kicks out truck drivers for Bike week

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Your comment was a stereotypical reference to what it was like decades ago. It's truly not the case anymore. My '91 Heritage made it from Alpena, Mi to Vegas and back without an issue, wasn't even worried about it. I expect my '11 Ultra Classic to be just as dependable.

I'm too critical of 4-wheelers. That's why I won't ride. Also, wouldn't appreciate getting a mouthful of asphalt pebbles, while riding thru Michigan and Arkansas.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
This isn't new. Happens every year during Bike Week. I'd just avoid the whole area. Not worth the hassle even trying to get to that Love's during Bike Week or even Biketoberfest in October. Bike Week draws millions of people and 10's of thousands of bikes all crammed in that small area. For the millions and millions that will be spend during this week I don't think Love's or even the City of Daytona will lose any sleep over a few trucks that decide to buy fuel somewhere else. We all ride but we avoid Daytona during Bike Week like the plague. The name of the Harley shop is Bruce Rossmeyer's....huge harley shop!!! My advice................just avoid that area for the week. And watch out for bikes!!!! Several bikers are killed each year @ Daytona Bike Week.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since this Love's has been open it has been the policy. Even when I drove a big truck I would either head south and stay in either the rest area or I would stay either at the T/A or farther south the pilot, loves or the Hook. I no parking there I would head south to tr tiki hit truck stop on US 29 just south of I75.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The first year that the Loves was there, they allowed trucks to park during Bike Week and we got a spot...it was awesome! The next year we found out that they didn't allow parking during Bike week and it was the last time we we've stopped there.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would rather stay at Kum n go since the kng truckstops have showers/laundry and tv rooms. Loves sucks all together. They cater more to them dam 4 wheelers.

Its the same no mater what chain they are. They changed thier names from truck stops to travel centers and the opt to cater to the sixty dollar fuel purchaser and screw the people that made them what they are. Travel centers are are nothing more than convienence stores with big parking lots. Thats why I still try to look for the privately owned mom and pop places.
Bob Wolf

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
It will be the same for a 4 day week-end during October for Biketoberfest. Biketoberfest is rapidly becomming as big as Bike Week. A conservative guess would be about 100,000 bikes and 2 or 3 million people for Bike Week. Biketoberfest is rapidly approaching those numbers all packed into 4 days. And if no one knows that Bike Week is always right after the Daytona 500 they've been living under a rock somewhere........

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
loves does it every year- harley may own the land-and the revenue the bikers bring in for the week both for loves and harley is alot more than the trucks bring in-and the loves lot is usually jammed with bikes-its one week out of the year

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our vacation house is not far from Daytona Beach. I recently bought a little Honda 150 cc scooter to keep there and putt-putt around town. Learning that Bell had a booth at Bike Week and was selling helmets at prices lower than they can be purchased in stores or on line, I drove my scooter up there to get helmets for Diane and me.

That was my first real exposure to Bike Week. It's a great festival that affects the whole area. A call to boycott a business because they provide special parking for Bike Week attendees will be ignored if it is even noticed at all.

On my little ride, I saw two places on U.S. 1 where the police, with officers on foot and squad car lights flashing, had lanes blocked off in front of bars to accommodate motorcycle parking. In town, it was bike parking only on both sides of the street for blocks and blocks and there were thousands upon thousands of bikes parked. In one place, the DOT had an electronic sign indicating that a lane closure was ahead for parking for the bar, and the bar was named in the flashing message. It was something like "Right lane closed ahead for bike parking for No Name Saloon."

Love's is doing what every other business near Daytona is doing, and I would do the same thing if I ran that truck stop. It's Bike Week and the town belongs to the bikers.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The last day is a great time to buy things. Especially clothing. Shirts may be discounted as well as leather jackets. I got my jacket for $50 by telling the vendor that was all I had left.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is simple, don't want to deal with bike week and not parking at the Love's? Don't go down there. Most of us don't have forced dispatch so it is not likely to accidentally end up there. It is rather simple.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My mind keeps flipping between Phil on his 150 and Jim Carey in D&D.
Just too funny.
I guess any two wheels are fun.
Enjoy the scooter. You got 150cc's more than I have at the present time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My mind keeps flipping between Phil on his 150 and Jim Carey in D&D.
Just too funny.
I guess any two wheels are fun.
Enjoy the scooter. You got 150cc's more than I have at the present time.

I pedal my two wheels. That is all the two wheel stuff I want. Can't fish off them motorcycle things anyway.

Bike Week, Spring Break, Mardis Gras, St. Patrick's Day, Cinco De Mayo etc, are just excuses for people to act up, get drunk, high, and be loud and rude. Good things to stay away from.

I will not ever forget the load we picked up one block off of Times Square on St. Patrick's Day. There were drunks EVERYWHERE, at 10AM. It was a MAJOR pain in the neck trying to get into and out of the area to do business. At one point a couple of cops had to clear a path through the drunks so we could get past them.

It was amazing to think we needed help to drive on a road. I guess there was not enough room on the sidewalks to be drunk and obnoxious, so they took to the streets.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I pedal my two wheels. That is all the two wheel stuff I want. Can't fish off them motorcycle things anyway.

Bike Week, Spring Break, Mardis Gras, St. Patrick's Day, Cinco De Mayo etc, are just excuses for people to act up, get drunk, high, and be loud and rude. Good things to stay away from.

I will not ever forget the load we picked up one block off of Times Square on St. Patrick's Day. There were drunks EVERYWHERE, at 10AM. It was a MAJOR pain in the neck trying to get into and out of the area to do business. At one point a couple of cops had to clear a path through the drunks so we could get past them.

It was amazing to think we needed help to drive on a road. I guess there was not enough room on the sidewalks to be drunk and obnoxious, so they took to the streets.

Them ornery good-fer-nuthins. How dare they have fun!!!

server

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do people have to be drunk and interfere with business, during normal business hours, to have "fun"? :confused: Is staggering into the streets mandatory for having "fun"?

That kinda makes NO sense what so ever.

They can have all the "fun" they want, on their own time without interfering with business and other people. It is POSSIBLE to do so.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Do people have to be drunk and interfere with business, during normal business hours, to have "fun"? :confused: Is staggering into the streets mandatory for having "fun"?

That kinda makes NO sense what so ever.

They can have all the "fun" they want, on their own time without interfering with business and other people. It is POSSIBLE to do so.

On Saint Patrick's Day in New York City, it is the business of the city and people to have fun. You were the one out of place, not them. Festivals in the marketplace have gone on for centuries. It's what human beings do. No one required you to be there, just like no one requires anyone to drive a truck in Daytona Beach during Bike Week.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On Saint Patrick's Day in New York City, it is the business of the city and people to have fun. You were the one out of place, not them. Festivals in the marketplace have gone on for centuries. It's what human beings do. No one required you to be there, just like no one requires anyone to drive a truck in Daytona Beach during Bike Week.

The "parade" was not the problem. They had arrangements for that. They had breaks built in for traffic. It was the drunks, at 10AM, that were staggering in the streets.

The business that requested a truck on that day was doing normal business, or at least trying too.

I promise you, had i paid attention to the significance of the date I would have turned down the load. Since I don't stagger about in streets at 10AM for little or no reason, I did not pay attention to it. Won't happen again.

Avoiding Bike Week is easier.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The "parade" was not the problem. They had arrangements for that. They had breaks built in for traffic. It was the drunks, at 10AM, that were staggering in the streets.

The business that requested a truck on that day was doing normal business, or at least trying too.

I promise you, had i paid attention to the significance of the date I would have turned down the load. Since I don't stagger about in streets at 10AM for little or no reason, I did not pay attention to it. Won't happen again.

Avoiding Bike Week is easier.

Ok,,,LO,,now take another nerve pill, its ok, Im bringing the beer and you can have one, I promise.........................

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
After bike week comes-sprrring break-thats when I don;t wanna be anywhere near Florida. These kids are driving in, only used to driving 10 miles a day-now doing a road trip. I came home once when the breakers were arriving, got stuck behind a car of teenage girls -heads bouncing all over the place-speed up-slow down-couldn't stay in there lane-not a fun night of driving . I'll take a 100 bikers to one car of ditzy girls anyday. The business need the daytona and bike week revenue to repair the damage done by the kids.