LOS SCRUBBERS CONS

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Monday afternoon I picked up a load delivering to Basin Electric Power CO-OP in Stanton, ND (pop. 345) The address given was a state highway. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a power plant somewhere in or around Stanton.

About 10 miles out of Stanton I could see flashing strobe lights. As I got closer I could make out the outline of the smoke stacks and see ground level light. Definitely a power plant. That was easy!

I found a sign directing me to a road that led to the main gate. Only problem was the sign read Great River Energy. Probably in the midst of a name change. My power company does that every few years. Besides, what are the odds of delivering to the wrong power plant in Stanton,ND??

From a call box at the gate I was informed that the odds are 50/50. I was at the wrong power plant. Basin Electric was next door. I was told to go back to the highway and 1 1/2 miles I would find the gate to Basin.

I found a sign and a road that led toward Basin. I was on a dirt road that intersected with another dirt road. Just in front of me was a gate, a call box and a dark guard shack inside the gate. To my right was a sign, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY and an arrow pointing the way. When it comes to energy I'm a conventional gasoline and potatoes kind of guy. And I'm not into alternative lifestyles either. I'll leave that alternative stuff to that chunk of carbon that won the Nobel Peace Prize.

To my left was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood propped up against a pile of dirt or coal. Hand lettered in blaze orange, with an arrow it read; LOS SCRUBBERS CONS. I haven't had any Spanish classes since 6th grade, so I was clueless. The caffeine coursing through my brain momentarily brought up a mental image of a gay Mexican bath house. With men sweating out coal dust and scrubbing each others backs with LOS LOOFAHS. I shouldn't have had that last cup of coffee.

The only logical and safe choice was the gate in front of me. I pulled up to the call box. The instructions were to dial 0, if no answer dial 2119. I picked up the phone, heard no dial tone but dialed 0 anyway. No ringing, no answer, only silence. I dialed 2119. Nothing! I dial my truck number. Nothing! I dialed my S.S. number. Nothing! I began to dial random sets of numbers. More nothingness. I really didn't need that last cup of coffee!

Finally I concluded that the phone was O.T.F.L. (Out To F in' Lunch) So I used my cell phone and called a contact number from the load offer. A cheerful female voice answers my call. It's 02:30 in the a.m. I explain who I am, what I have, where it is from and that I am at an unmanned gate. The gate part confused her so she transfered my call.

This time I talk to a man. I do the Who, what, where, when and sometimes why thing for him. He asks me what city am I in. I explain that I am about 6 miles from Stanton, ND, outside a power plant and I am trying to get in the gate. He tells me he is in Bismarck. Gee, that's nice. I guess everyone has to be somewhere. He asks if I am at the main gate. I describe the gate, the LOS SCRUBBERS CONS and ALTERNATIVE ENERGY signs. He tells me I am at the old main gate and I need to go back to the highway, and about a mile I should see the new main gate. He suggested I look for the "light station". He again mentioned the "light station" and said I couldn't miss it. I had no idea what a light station was, but it sounded important to my finding the new main gate.

The new main gate was right where he said it would be. Bathed in harsh white light supplied by the "light station" I could see the gate, a trailer-guard shack and a porta potty. The "light station" was two of those portable generator things with pole mounted flood lights that are commonly used for nighttime construction.

I did the who, what, where, when and sometimes why thing with the guard. She told me to follow the signs marked warehouse. I had so many questions for her, why had this become the new main gate, was the LOS SCRUBBER CONS really a gay Mexican bath house, why would a huge plant that turns coal into electricity mess around with portable generators.
Couldn't they run an extension cord? Did these generators have anything to do with the ALTERNATIVE ENERGY sign? Did Cleveland beat Boston? But the only question I asked was if I could use her porta potty. All of the coffee that filled my head was now sloshing around in my bladder.

The road to the warehouse was clearly marked at every intersection and rail crossing with a sign that read LOS ADMIN. OFFICE LOS WAREHOUSE. How quaint, they carried over the Spanish theme inside the fence. Some 6th grade Spanish came back to me. I fancied myself as Los Expeditos Magnifico, agent of Los Gatos Negro. Whoa! No more coffee for me for the rest of the week.

Eventually I found LOS WAREHOUSE. I greeted the man waiting for me with a "Buenos Dias Amigo". He asked if I was getting prepared for Mexico's annexation of the U.S. I told him that the LOS SCRUBBERS CONS and LOS ADMIN LOS WAREHOUSE signs had me puzzled. I wasn't about to mention the gay bath house or alternative life style stuff to him.

He explained that LOS, was really L.O.S. Which stood for Leland Olds Station. I was at the Basin Electric CO-OP Leland Olds Station. The LOS SCRUBBERS CONS was a construction gate for construction workers building the new scrubbers. I guess the guy with the blaze orange paint thought punctuation marks such as periods were a waste of good paint. With deer season just around the corner he probably used the extra paint to touch up his hunting outfit. Those North Dakotans are a thrifty bunch. Ya, you betcha. Gordon Kohl would be pleased. As would the Brothers Coen.

Reactions: cheri1122

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Who said an expediters life was boring? Moot...you should become a writer of tales....EXCELLENT!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>Who said an expediters life was boring?

Greg did on another forum.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well my age and stress is getting to me, so I don't even remember .... never mind, I forgot what I was saying.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It had to do with the mundane and was mentioned in another post. I am Mr. Mundane so I try to have a little fun with my boring life. Ya, you betcha!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No Moot, I was trying to say if it wasn't for you, we would be in a mundane world stuck forever in a hapless cycle of something... or another.... in sort of the likes of the movie Brazil.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, I never saw Brazil but I am a Terry Gillium fan. When the movie came out I made a mental note to go see it. It played for about a week and then disappeared. Over the years I forgot about it. I should rent or buy it.

Highway Star, Moot Kerouac??? I think Moot Mundane is more accurate. But old Jack would have been a wild expediter! He could run for Panther and be a real hep cat. (sorry Cheri) No problem with him taking a load out west. He would just layover in Denver or California for a few months waiting for that load back to New York City. He would fit right in on those Canadian layovers I heard about from a former colleague of yours. As for going south, why stop in Laredo? He would take it straight on down to Mexico.

I'm digging it!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dunno, Moot - he'd have done some extremely interesting logging, no doubt, but I can't see him getting anything delivered on time, when he usually couldn't tell you what month it was, much less what day...
P S Did the 'former colleague' of Highway Star's pass on enough info to make blackmail feasible? Because it's always good to have a 'Plan B', in case expediting gets really slow...;)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Puuhleeezze... The wall of karmic circleness that surrounds me cannot EVEN be penetrated by blackmail.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Embrace the mundane." Mike, I love that line. Can I borrow it for awhile?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered in Beulah, ND this morning. Since I was in the neighbor I thought I would swing by the Basin Electric Leland Olds Station for old time sake. It has been almost 7 years and 6000 cups of coffee since my original visit. The place looked different. I guess the passing of time, daylight and the fact that I had only one cup of coffee in me made it appear different. I only stopped for a minute to take this picture. Viva los scrubbers con! Viva los loofahs! Viva los Jaun Valdez and his mountain grown coffee beans.
LOSStanton_zpsb71a148a.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've never actually seen a gay Mexican bath house [when I went to Mexico with Highway Star it somehow wasn't on the itinerary] but that sure isn't how I pictured it, lol. That looks like the Turkey -something-or-other power plant I got lost looking for in Florida - scary place, in the dark!
Nice bit of nostalgia, and dam, but we're getting old! :eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That looks like the Turkey -something-or-other power plant I got lost looking for in Florida - scary place, in the dark!
Turkey Point, just south of Miami. I delivered there when I was with Con-Way. Nice load. It picked up in northern Minnesota in the dead of winter. I met Arlent on that trip fueling at the J south of one Beloit and east of another Beloit.