Looking to get into expedite

rakow25

Active Expediter
Im looking to get into expedite.Could somebody please tell me a little bit about it and how it works.Are there any companies that hire company drivers.I have my class A but, no over the road experience.I live in Southwest Minnesota.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There may one or two Companies who will hire you as a driver. Most are strictly O\O or Fleet owners. You may want to look into the Free Classifieds for someone looking for a team co driver. Good luck.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You are in the right place to get your questions answered, read, read and read some more...read back a couple years.
Most of your questions should be answered then, if not ask away.
Welcome to EO:)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ATeam's Intro to Expediting is a good resource - also read the Newbies FAQ [above the listings of threads], there's a lot there to consider.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Could somebody please tell me a little bit about it and how it works.

It works like this, piecemeal work based on customer's needs. Think of it as taxi cabs for freight.

You may get a pallet of stuff from Detroit to Laredo then sit for a day or two and then get something from Dallas to Atlanta.

Unlike OTR trucking, you sit to wait. Even some of the better companies, you sit and wait.

Are there any companies that hire company drivers.

Yes I think there is, I remember Ablair does but I'm not sure. Someone else can gladly correct me.

I have my class A but, no over the road experience.I live in Southwest Minnesota.

Here is what I would do, seeing half your battle is won - try and find a regional company to go with to use your class A and then see what like is like on the road. If you have no road experience, that may be an issue.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's just what we need out here another cargo van! I've been chilling for 6 weeks with no load! But that all a part of the plan! When my cargo van gets pulled from the wonderful world of expedite many will rejoice!

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Of course the Industry needs more Cargo Vans.:p Haven't you seen the add from Panther offering $1000.00 bonus for Cargo Vans.:rolleyes:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course the Industry needs more Cargo Vans.:p Haven't you seen the add from Panther offering $1000.00 bonus for Cargo Vans.:rolleyes:

I'm gonna call panther and record the call when I ask them for the entire 1k advance up front so I can use it to get my van back from the repo man and to help pay for the trip up to orientation! I want to see if they take me seriously or not! Stay tuned for the tape!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello Panther recruiting.

Yes, I want to work with you guys but I have two problems.

What are they?

I need to get my van out of repo and I don't have enough fuel to make it to your orientation.

What do you want me to do for you?

I want you guys to send me a comcheck authorization code for 1000 dollars.

Hmm, I don't think we can do that.

But why not? You need my van don't you.

Let me put you on hold while I ask my supervisor what he thinks.

Hold. Endless loop of Panther music. Half asleep, the recruiter comes back on about 6 hours later.

Sorry sir. We can't do nothing for you. Good luck! (CLICK)!

Dial tone!

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately, all the pluses that van owners list for driving a van in expediting are the same things that make it so easy for someone to just get a van and jump into this.

So with companies just loading up with them (ala Panther), there soon may be a expedited van at every street corner :)

To rakow25, probably the hardest thing for you to get used to will be the OTR lifestyle. I would do what greg suggested, get on with a company, try the OTR thing. Find out if you can stand the lifestyle.

If you can, call the expedited companies, some maintain lists of fleet owners who are looking for drivers. Also check the ads on this site.

Good luck.

cse8810

Active Expediter
We are looking at adding a couple of cargo vans, are gmc with a gvwr of 7200 okay? We know there are other options, curious if this would work?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We are looking at adding a couple of cargo vans, are gmc with a gvwr of 7200 okay? We know there are other options, curious if this would work?

I saw a FedEx van that was a half ton but I have also seen some that won't use them. The issue with a half ton van is (either the 150 or 1500 depending on the maker) that the van may weigh 5000lbs then you add in fuel, driver, equipment, and all the drivers personal items which limits your load potential by a lot. The vans are also lighter duty so you can start to see items break more frequently. I would look at some carriers and call to see if they would allow them but my opinion would be to stay away from them.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App