Looking to bring a cargo van on with a carrier.

mikefl

Active Expediter
Hi everyone!

I am looking to bring a cargo van, sprinter, or a nice box truck on with a carrier. I have been reading here for almost a year and a half, looking and thinking. I have read their are a lot of bad fleet owners and good fleet owners out there. I am looking to bring one on at the time and then add a few more with in a year or so. I have my fiance and we will be driving as a team. I know everyone say straight trucks but I am trying to make income for my self and a few people that needs jobs out here. I have done a lot of research with carriers and everything else. I have read everyone's post well not everyone but a lot. The carriers recruiters are all out to get you on. My questions to the experienced fleet owners and drivers is. What is the best carrier? What is the best carrier for the most miles? What would be up front cost besides truck? NOTE: I have a van that has had the suspension boosted for an extra 2000lbs. Any info would help a lot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First of all, Welcome to the jungle...But first I have to address your boosting of suspension.....that is all well and fine, but just remember this....IF one of your vans gets in an accident...a civil court will take everything you own for overloading your van...exceeding door sticker weight...is that a risk you are willing to take?

and IF you have been reading...there is no best carrier for miles....not really...the best carrier is the one that you can do business with every day...all carriers have their warts as we say in the biz....my carrier may not work for you and so on down the line...
Express1 and Panther are good with teams....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My old E-350 had the suspension boosted for an extra 2000 pounds, but that didn't change the GVWR on the door. All it did was make things a little more stable when I was maxed out.

As for the OP, I would suggest you and your fiance drive your own van for a year minimum, and then at that time revisit the notion of adding additional vans. Your views will almost certainly change by then.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As was said, there is no best carrier...ask questions of drivers and recruiters and find the one that wil work for you...

Now, coming into the business with no experience in a van as a team, wow..better you then me..but If i was in that place and wanted to LEARN the business, I'd talk to Anne at Bolt...other then that, as was said, Express 1 or Panther...

You didn't say what size your van is, sooo..if it is a 1/2 ton 8600 gvw, that 2000 lb increase doesn't mean much...and that again, if you are concerned about "rules"...bo matter what you have done to the suspension, you still shouldn't exceed the gvw door sticker...but then....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As was said, there is no best carrier...ask questions of drivers and recruiters and find the one that wil work for you...

Now, coming into the business with no experience in a van as a team, wow..better you then me..but If i was in that place and wanted to LEARN the business, I'd talk to Anne at Bolt...other then that, as was said, Express 1 or Panther...

You didn't say what size your van is, sooo..if it is a 1/2 ton 8600 gvw, that 2000 lb increase doesn't mean much...and that again, if you are concerned about "rules"...bo matter what you have done to the suspension, you still shouldn't exceed the gvw door sticker...but then....:D

There is always a butt.... Er I meant but....lol

mikefl

Active Expediter
Thank You everyone that has replied! Now if someone could answer the question of cost, that would be great. I am not worried about it to much I just have a bet with the fiance of what the start up cost would be.

Very good points about the GVW on the door what happens when it falls off! LOL! But no for real I understand the risk if I over load myself. I have seen several straight trucks in the FL area with 1 and 2 pallets on them. I would think for that little run a van would be more fit for it. But I guess when you need a run then you take it. The lady that was driving said that she gets 60% of the haul and 100% fuel surcharge this brings her $430 in her pocket after fuel. This sounds a little off what do you think?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Startup costs vary widely depending on the vehicle purchased and how comfortable you want to be, could be anywhere from $5k to $50k.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Up front costs besides the truck are generally lettering costs and the drug screen. Depending on the carrier that can range from $50 to $300. There's an escrow account, but that comes out of weekly settlements until it's fulled, unless you want to front that, as well. There's really very little in the way of up front costs for a van, which is frankly part of the problem - it's easy to get into van expediting with minimal investment, but the risk is far greater than the investment risk alone. Most people getting into the business don't realize that.

As for the van, other than the van itself, there's the cost of properly outfitting it for expediting, and the cost of making it livable with insulation and other creature comforts. That can run between $1500 and $5000 depending on how much of a creature you are. Then there's the cost of having about $5000 in reserve for all kinds of unexpected things. A lot of people fail to properly outfit it, or make it livable, or ignore the reserve. Those people rarely make it past 6 months.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Thank You everyone that has replied! Now if someone could answer the question of cost, that would be great. I am not worried about it to much I just have a bet with the fiance of what the start up cost would be.

Very good points about the GVW on the door what happens when it falls off! LOL! But no for real I understand the risk if I over load myself. I have seen several straight trucks in the FL area with 1 and 2 pallets on them. I would think for that little run a van would be more fit for it. But I guess when you need a run then you take it. The lady that was driving said that she gets 60% of the haul and 100% fuel surcharge this brings her $430 in her pocket after fuel. This sounds a little off what do you think?

They don't always go by size when the book a straight truck. If the contents on each skid was extremely heavy they will book a straight truck. If they require a dock high vehicle which happens a lot a straight will be booked. I have even got load offers that had in the instructions "customer require truck with air ride".

As for the lady's pay, yes many owners do the 40/60 and others do the 60/40. Whoever pays fuel should get 100% of fsc.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's not about the miles, but about the pay.Yes, there are several carriers out there who could and will run their o/o's into the ground.For cheap rates.So, they possibly tear up their equipment for what? To haul cheap freight, and to run excessive miles trying to make a decent wage?

The van:No matter how much you beef up the suspension, it all falls on the empty weight, full of fuel, with you and you're personal belongings in it, subtracted from the GVW rating on the factory door sticker, not the one from the body manufacturer, if you're van was modified, by, say, Supreme or someone like that.

And, don't forget, that no matter how much you really beef up the suspension, it all also falls on the tire weight rating, as well.

Don't try to turn a van into a straight truck.Heavy loads in a van will eventually have a price to be paid.And you will pay.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Most carriers, if not all, require a scale ticket (empty weight) before you sign on. They inspect your vehicle and check the door sticker before you sign the lease. They need to know what type of equipment to dispatch.

mikefl

Active Expediter
Thanks Turtle that is what I was looking for. Now the next question. Is sprinters paid at the same rate as CV's or a little more? I have a 2011 Ford F350 extended cargo, but now I am worried that wont be enough room to have a comfy sleeper in. I have been looking at a sprinter with a 170" base what would be the best option here?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle that is what I was looking for. Now the next question. Is sprinters paid at the same rate as CV's or a little more? I have a 2011 Ford F350 extended cargo, but now I am worried that wont be enough room to have a comfy sleeper in. I have been looking at a sprinter with a 170" base what would be the best option here?

I think a CV would do you fine until you find the carrier that suits your needs...and you gain working knowledge of how just things are out here...without a lot of investment....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A bigger cargo van or Sprinter is better, for comfort if nothing else. If you're not comfortable in the van, you won't want to spend a lot of time in it, and you need to spend a lot of time in it to make any money.

In a cargo van you need room to haul at least two pallets of 48x48x48, plus some room to secure them. That means at least 8.5 feet, 9 is better. If you have any room beyond that for a bunk, there ya go. Some people install a bunk they can fold up and out of the way in order to haul three skids. I like a permanent bunk so that I can sleep while loaded. Some people will tell you that you must be able to haul three skids or you will not make it in this business. Those people have deluded themselves.

Generally speaking, Sprinters pay about the same as a cargo van. A few carriers can get you more for a "Sprinter load", but it doesn't happen as often as you think. A cargo van can usually haul heavier loads, so it cancels out for those loads that can't go on a Sprinter. The biggest thing about a Sprinter is the fact that it's taller, and it will get you a few more loads for that fact alone. Due to the fact that there are more vans and Sprinters out there than is needed (too much capacity), the customer has the upper hand in dictating freight rates. So whether it goes on a Sprinter or a cargo van, unless it cannot fit on a cargo van, it'll pay the same regardless. Some carriers can get more money for a third skid, most cannot. Historically, my highest paying loads have been one skid loads.

mikefl

Active Expediter
Thanks. From what I can read the average pay is around $.95-$1.10 a mile including FSC. Is this a common fact that no matter what carrier you sign on with this is the average through out?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks. From what I can read the average pay is around $.95-$1.10 a mile including FSC. Is this a common fact that no matter what carrier you sign on with this is the average through out?

Pretty much that it is....cept most carriers take different paths to get to that point....it is laughable really....

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter

I would set my expectations on a range of. 85-.95 per mile (or lower). The people who get higher rates think its normal to get the 1.00 rate, but that isn't the usual case after the typical carrier has finished the shell game called Pay.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I have a hard time being part of the welcome wagon....all us veterans know our market is swamped with Cv's, cube vans, sprinters and other clones.....our market the rates are depressed and it is hard to make a living....

think of it this way....you have the only pizza shop in town....then someone opens one up down the street....then another comes in, then another,..then a price war breaks out, prices drop because of competition and now your standard of living has dropped...the winner is the consumer, the loser, YOU....

same in our biz..the winner is the shipper, the losers are us....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I have a hard time being part of the welcome wagon....all us veterans know our market is swamped with Cv's, cube vans, sprinters and other clones.....our market the rates are depressed and it is hard to make a living....

think of it this way....you have the only pizza shop in town....then someone opens one up down the street....then another comes in, then another,..then a price war breaks out, prices drop because of competition and now your standard of living has dropped...the winner is the consumer, the loser, YOU....

same in our biz..the winner is the shipper, the losers are us....

Really, that is rather ironic. You had no problem welcoming people who compete with us directly if it put a bonus in your pocket. :)

Companies are going to put on x number of vans for x amount of freight. If not the op it will be someone else. The only thing that'll create enough shortage of vans to increase rates any real amount is a drastic increase in freight combined with a large drop in the unemployment rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hazmat just got paid 200 bucks flat for a 98 mile run that he moved for us. Load One you better watch out. I am going to be like the trinity of expedite. 1. I will pay like Load One does. 2. I will be younger then Barrett Directline Delivery Services. 3. I will be more hip than C&M Transport! The only problem that I currently have is that I can't play golf worth a darn.

I'm just ruffling some feathers here. I am learning a lot about this business by watching the way the successful carriers operate and how they treat their drivers. I do agree too that the average rates are much lower than what some people get paid. I try and pay higher even though we don't make a lot of money on some of these loads. I just paid a guy 85 percent on a load because he is a good driver. That is 5 percent higher than my standard 80 percent.

There are no numbers games here. I take the calculater and divide the entire billed amount by 80 percent and that is what the driver gets. There are times when I wish I paid the straight .85 cents per mile because I loose money. But you have to realize that the drivers do all of the work and put up a lot of investment be on the road. Making more money off the backs of the hard working drivers is not always the best way to come up. It's all about partnership!