Looking for ideas/input for a drivers facility.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We are getting ready to start work on a new driver's area at our terminal. Looking for ideas for things a driver would want or would be helpful. Things you have seen that were great, and great ideas that did not work.

Thanks!

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
i hope you are talking about a drivers lounge.if so i would go with the basics.shower area,tv area with some lazyboy recliners,.for business side a computer with printer,fax machine.a good coffee machine,and then maybe get some vendors to add snack machines and a sandwich machine.microwave,just the small stuff a dvd player would not be bad either hopefully your drivers will have 24-7 use of the lounge.i think these thing would be nice to have while waiting on a load.i think the lazyboys are better than chairs or a couch.cause if you fall asleep you want bother no one.lol:D

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
Hopefully we will be on the road making money. But if not, a TV and chairs with non-cloth seating (to protect from stains). Good wi-fi access and a work station with a place to plug in a laptop. A coffee machine would be nice also.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are getting ready to start work on a new driver's area at our terminal. Looking for ideas for things a driver would want or would be helpful. Things you have seen that were great, and great ideas that did not work.

Thanks!

Laundry facility would be nice. :cool:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are going to build showers, build them well, such that they are big enough to move around in, have a place to sit, have plenty of coat hooks, and have doors and locks that leave you a measure of privacy and safety. Private showers seen at truck stops fill the bill.

Common areas should be smoke free. A separate quiet room with reasonably private desks or tables to run a laptop and do paperwork would be nice (headphones required if you are watching videoas on your compuer).

Laundry should include seating and a place to fold clothes.

In addition to the seating suggested by others, keep a supply of sturdy folding chairs handy for when the Super Bowl is on.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No dog in this hunt, but the replies point out an interesting fact about drivers' lounges: some folks want to watch tv, while others want to use their laptops during the downtime. The problem with accommodating both groups is that the television is difficult, if not impossible, to ignore, making it a less than pleasant time for the computer users, nappers, paperwork doers, readers, etc - IOW, anyone wanting to do anything else.
Maybe a quiet room, separate from the tv, for peace? A few pairs of wireless headphones?:confused:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
John just put a great new shower area, bigger then you can imagine and a washer and dryer...this is the drivers lounge now...

Wifi, and a scanner simuilar to what we have with the qualCom so we can scan BOL's in from the comfort of the lounge...While the recliner thing sounds nice, but a good comfortable sofa and arm chairs...As I said before John, will gladly donate a 26"TV and I have a wall mount for it somewhere..it isn't a digtal, but it has the converter box, if you want it, ill drop it off....A frig for pickles, micro wave, a good size countertop area...desk and chair, the vending machines sounds good but not the candy bar stuff and a phone to call out for pizza or local food delivery...

Thanks You John...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I have seen that doesn't work is a fridge or food storage area. That can get real nasty real quick.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
+1 on smoke free. +1 on separate areas for TV and computer/reading/etc. if space allows. available 24/7. recliners in the quiet room for napping. a couple of tables available for eating stuff from the machines, pizza deliveries etc..

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Disco ball, lava lamp and a Pez dispenser. Just kidding. I think recliners would be the way to go. Comfortable and you can fit more in a smaller space.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
A pacman arcade game and a 62" plasma and I'm sold!! I will quit my day job and hang out. Wait, how about creating a CEO position for this area? See John, I told you I would fit in!!:D

guido4475

Not a Member
I would think and hope that drivers who use this kind of facility would have the responsibility to clean up after themselves to begin with.I find myself wiping down the sink area now after using it in the bathrooms,not only because it looks so nice, but I take pride in what he has given us,so I take care of it as if it were my own.

As far as the towels walking away,dont let me catch anyone doing that,I will gladly break their arms,Italian style.No reason for misusing what has been given to us in the first place.

guido4475

Not a Member
Disco ball, lava lamp and a Pez dispenser. Just kidding. I think recliners would be the way to go. Comfortable and you can fit more in a smaller space.

Actually, the disco ball and lava lamps are not a bad idea..Along with the floor that lights up, like in Saturday Night Fever...

ftp000

Expert Expediter
How about a couple of treadmills? I find myself constantly wishing truckstops would have a little exercise equipment.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ftp000

Expert Expediter
I would think and hope that drivers who use this kind of facility would have the responsibility to clean up after themselves to begin with.I find myself wiping down the sink area now after using it in the bathrooms,not only because it looks so nice, but I take pride in what he has given us,so I take care of it as if it were my own.

UAs far as the towels walking away,dont let me catch anyone doing that,I will gladly break their arms,Italian style.No reason for misusing what has been given to us in the first place.

Have you never looked at the toilet seats in most truck stops? The number of men peeing on the seat because they're too lazy to lift it must be astronomical! Then they leave without washing their hands, savages is what they are, no way these disgusting animals can be trusted to clean up after themselves.

guido4475

Not a Member
How about a couple of treadmills? I find myself constantly wishing truckstops would have a little exercise equipment.

Treadmills? just a few trips up and down the stairs to the drivers lounge will have the same results...lol

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
A couple of stripper poles and a staff of Johns Jameson girls to use them....:D

Just kidding.

Some exercise equipment would be great!!!! But keep it simple. A simple treadmill and or eliptical and a all in one weight machine.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
John it sounds like your keeping the O/O and the drivers happy. Maybe have a Fountain Machine with free soda or Sweet tea. John I do know you like to grill, why not put a kichen in that you can cook some steaks on a grill. That way you can use the kichen/lunch room for Load1 get togethers also. As Load1 grows your going to need a bigger room for drivers coming into class. If you build it they will come. lol