Looking For Advice

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I
Ok guys...here's the update. I ended up with another company because the first guy was having issues getting the van straight. Ok, so another calls me, we talk & I decide ok I'm gonna go for it. So on Nov 1st, I get the keys & I sit until the 4th. I run the 4th through the 7th. As I leave the company from where I dropped to I come out of the parking lot & the lower ball joints breaks(after I've done 2000 miles in it...GOD is great anything could have happened). I call my boss who tells me this will be the 3rd time they have to get this fixed. She tells me that she's calling AAA 7 don't worry. Cool, as I'm waiting she calls me & says not to show any id & to pretend I am the owner...smh...then she calls back & tells to me to pretend that the owner is my girlfriend & she's not there because she had to pick up the kids...wow. Anyways, AAA comes & takes me about an hr away to Murfreesboro Tn. I get fixed all up the next morning & from then until the following Wednesday I do nothing but sit in between Murfreesboro & Knoxville(because they are deadheading me all over). Finally get a run up to Kansas & now I'm sitting again. This company has shown so many red flags that it makes me wonder if I'm dreaming. This is just the short version of course.

But I would just grind it out with watever company you are with, the lucky days will come eventually.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am new to expediting & have just been offered a driving position. I was told that the pay is 60/40 with me getting the 60 but I have to pay for gas. Is that a good thing? I leave this Friday, so before I get started is there any particular questions I need to ask or know?

You got a contract, right? [If not, you need one.] Read it, and know every bit of it, because it matters. Also, learn the rules at your carrier, like when you will be 'dinged' for turning down a load, when you may be put 'out of service', etc, because that matters, too.
Talk to as many drivers as possible, esp those with the same carrier, to learn the good areas and the bad - every carrier has areas where they just don't get loads out.
Try to run hard when it's busy, because there will be times when it isn't. Pay close attention to the vehicle: your livelihood depends on it. Keep it up to snuff, before you take care of anything else.
If money is tight, learn where the 'freebies' are [like showers on the Ohio turnpike, fax coupons in Pilot's 'Challenge' magazine, ice & water in your container at any truck stop] and take advantage of them. Get books/movies/music/audiobooks from the local library, they're free!
Make the van as comfortable as you can, so you don't mind staying out for long stretches.

PS The 60/40 deal is fine, because you have control over the fuel consumption, and it's one area where you can save money, or blow it - your choice. ;)

noneya

Active Expediter
Ok guys...here's the update. I ended up with another company because the first guy was having issues getting the van straight. Ok, so another calls me, we talk & I decide ok I'm gonna go for it. So on Nov 1st, I get the keys & I sit until the 4th. I run the 4th through the 7th. As I leave the company from where I dropped to I come out of the parking lot & the lower ball joints breaks(after I've done 2000 miles in it...GOD is great anything could have happened). I call my boss who tells me this will be the 3rd time they have to get this fixed. She tells me that she's calling AAA 7 don't worry. Cool, as I'm waiting she calls me & says not to show any id & to pretend I am the owner...smh...then she calls back & tells to me to pretend that the owner is my girlfriend & she's not there because she had to pick up the kids...wow. Anyways, AAA comes & takes me about an hr away to Murfreesboro Tn. I get fixed all up the next morning & from then until the following Wednesday I do nothing but sit in between Murfreesboro & Knoxville(because they are deadheading me all over). Finally get a run up to Kansas & now I'm sitting again. This company has shown so many red flags that it makes me wonder if I'm dreaming. This is just the short version of course.

I'm curious about something. Is this company that you work for now based out of Lawenceville, GA?

SENT FROM YA MAMA'S HOUSE

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the fact that the ball joint broke would be a red flag to me. Yes, :censoredsign: happens, however if proper pm's are being done then this should have been caught before it got to the point where it actually let go. The fact that the fleet owner wants you to play a charade to get aaa to cover the tow doesn't sound very professional either. Good luck!

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The fact that the fleet owner wants you to play a charade to get aaa to cover the tow doesn't sound very professional either. Good luck!

I can't speak about the whole situation, not enough information,but there is nothing wrong about trying to save money on a tow bill, AAA won't pay the tow on a commercial vehicle,plus the member must be present. Is it a scam to sign up with AAA when you know you are misusing the contract? Yes,but people do worse things and you are paying the fees,that doesn't make it right,but I bet AAA still stands to profit from your dues.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The reason AAA doesn't want commercial vehicles is there is less chance of turning a profit.
An owner that cheats others will cheat you.
Basically, you're straight up, or you're not.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason AAA doesn't want commercial vehicles is there is less chance of turning a profit.
The actual reason is, when they tow a loaded commercial vehicle, they're hauling freight. Very few AAA towing contractors have that authority and the insurance for it. Many near the border do, but other than that not so much.

From the AAA Contract:
Unloaded commercial and rental vehicles with no more than four wheels and a standard pickup bed will be entitled to all services, excluding taxis and limos.

I've never had anyone on the phone at AAA balk on a call for the Sprinter, except when I wasn't thinking and said it was a Freightliner Sprinter. All she heard was, "Freighliner really big truck with a trailer." All the other times I've told them it's a Dodge.

Once I had a tow truck driver balk at servicing a commercial motor vehicle. He didn't know what one is, either. He called his boss and it was quickly settled.

I've been towed by AAA while loaded twice. The driver didn't ask and I didn't volunteer.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
wvcourier...I respect your response but I'm not so sure this is what I'm gonna do...not with these ladies. I mean I figure its gonna be days that are not so great but this has all been just to much.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey cherri1122...I do have one but it only stipulates that I give a 2 week notice and that I am to pay $50 a week for insurance. The good thing is that I have been able to talk to a lot of people & have gotten a lot of informative info. Although its still a learning process, I'm able to say I feel a little more comfortable going over to thet new company. Also he's giving me a choice of the 60/40 split or the per mile pay. Which I'm leaning towards the split.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the fact that the ball joint broke would be a red flag to me. Yes, :censoredsign: happens, however if proper pm's are being done then this should have been caught before it got to the point where it actually let go. The fact that the fleet owner wants you to play a charade to get aaa to cover the tow doesn't sound very professional either. Good luck!

I feel the same as you on this. The guy at the shop that repaired it says that the reason that this thing has broken so many times is because who ever fixed it was using parts from autozone or advanced & was apparently only partially fixing it. He said you have to fix the entire ball joint system not just half or you always have this issue

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fact that the fleet owner wants you to play a charade to get aaa to cover the tow doesn't sound very professional either. Good luck!

I can't speak about the whole situation, not enough information,but there is nothing wrong about trying to save money on a tow bill, AAA won't pay the tow on a commercial vehicle,plus the member must be present. Is it a scam to sign up with AAA when you know you are misusing the contract? Yes,but people do worse things and you are paying the fees,that doesn't make it right,but I bet AAA still stands to profit from your dues.

I'm not so sure if anything about these people are not a charade...smh

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
An owner that cheats others will cheat you.
Basically, you're straight up, or you're not.

I know I'm new & everything but I don't think these ladies even have the proper authority to run this company.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
The thing is you don't know if this is a personal van or commercial van. The only #'s on it is the tag # & the vin #. I've also been getting an earful about that as well.

noneya

Active Expediter
Hi noneya...no these ladies are out of Barnesville Ga

I'm not sure If we are talking about the same ppl, I think I know who they are. They offered me a position a while ago. They claim they are well respected in the industry and that everyone knows them as, "the girls". Hell, everyone claims that they are well respected in this industry. I've come to realize that talk is cheap

SENT FROM YA MAMA'S HOUSE

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The thing is you don't know if this is a personal van or commercial van. The only #'s on it is the tag # & the vin #. I've also been getting an earful about that as well.

I would find a Load1 van or Sprinter Owner to drive for as Load1 pays the best for Vans and Sprinters. If you have a Class B CDL try Panther as we do very well with them running teams in our trucks. If you want to run solo I would say Load1 as our Load1 solo driver does very good with them.