Looking For Advice

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am new to expediting & have just been offered a driving position. I was told that the pay is 60/40 with me getting the 60 but I have to pay for gas. Is that a good thing? I leave this Friday, so before I get started is there any particular questions I need to ask or know?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am new to expediting & have just been offered a driving position. I was told that the pay is 60/40 with me getting the 60 but I have to pay for gas. Is that a good thing? I leave this Friday, so before I get started is there any particular questions I need to ask or know?

It would be standard assuming you are getting 100 percent of the fuel surcharge. Think I would ask to make sure.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks davekc, I'm aware there's a lot to learn in this business and mistakes are gonna be made. I just didn't want this one to be the first. So when you say 100 % of fuel surcharge what exactly does that mean?

Last edited:

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I don't know if it matters but I think should point out that I will be driving either a cargo or sprinter van.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks davekc, I'm aware there's a lot to learn in this business and mistakes are gonna be made. I just didn't want this one to be the first. So when you say 100 % of fuel surcharge what exactly does that mean?

There is extra money per mile added on the rate that is there to help pay for fuel, since you are paying for it you should get 100% and not 60%.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I figured the reason for the split is because the van does not belong to me. I've got people telling me that because I'm being asked to provide gas this may not a good deal for me but at the same these same people work in other fields. Which is why I'm here getting you guys thoughts. I wanna learn everything there is to learn but don't wanna be foolish either.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I figured the reason for the split is because the van does not belong to me. I've got people telling me that because I'm being asked to provide gas this may not a good deal for me but at the same these same people work in other fields. Which is why I'm here getting you guys thoughts. I wanna learn everything there is to learn but don't wanna be foolish either.

Your total revenue will include the per mile rate and a fuel surcharge. If you are getting 60% of the per mile rate and 100% of the fuel surcharge then that is a standard deal. If you are getting 60% of the total revenue then I would find someone else to drive for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Read up anything you can find here on contracts
You should have a written agreement of whats expected of you and the owner.
The owner should fax or e-mail it to you before you go get the vehicle. .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As others have said, be sure of all of the details, not just part of them. Generally, the fsc is based on a formula calculated to make fuel cost $1.25 per gallon net. It is based usually on the national average price for fuel. It may vary somewhat depending on which company the van is leased to. Whoever pays for the fuel should get 100% of the fsc paid by the company. If you pay for all of the fuel you should get all of the fsc money to offset some of your fuel expense.

You also need to be aware of other expenses, occ/acc (occupational accident) insurance, qualcomm, tolls, parking, anything and everything that might have a fee associated with it. You need those details in writing also.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are you set up to go to an orientation ?
Where do you live ?
How often do you expect to get home ?
Have you talked to any drivers that have driven for this owner or company ?
When do you get paid ?
Do you know if the unit has a bunk or aux heater ?
The name of the owner may give you help from former drivers.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew coming to you guys would be the right move, thanks to you all :)
Zorry, I missed the one earlier this month.
I live in Conyers Ga
I'm not to much concerned about being home.
No, I haven't spoken to anyone other than you guys about this.
I was told the pay is every Friday.
I got the impression that the unit did have a bunk. Not sure about aux heater but will see it Friday.
According to the FMCSA & another website this is a company that's under a year old

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ga is good. Not needing to get home, good.
The reason I asked about payday is if it's 2 or 3 weeks until first payday you need to know. And have $$$.
Keep good records. Write down everything.
Phil Madsen, ATeam, and Linda Caffee both have blogs you should read in your spare time.
On EO's homepage are four blogs, one is about doing it in a sprinter.
Sleep when you can, then enjoy life. Try to always be ready when the phone rings.

Good Luck to ya.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
All good advice for anyone starting out. As mentioned, 60 percent of the linehaul and 100 percent of the FSC is what should be paid as a basic premise.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok guys...here's the update. I ended up with another company because the first guy was having issues getting the van straight. Ok, so another calls me, we talk & I decide ok I'm gonna go for it. So on Nov 1st, I get the keys & I sit until the 4th. I run the 4th through the 7th. As I leave the company from where I dropped to I come out of the parking lot & the lower ball joints breaks(after I've done 2000 miles in it...GOD is great anything could have happened). I call my boss who tells me this will be the 3rd time they have to get this fixed. She tells me that she's calling AAA 7 don't worry. Cool, as I'm waiting she calls me & says not to show any id & to pretend I am the owner...smh...then she calls back & tells to me to pretend that the owner is my girlfriend & she's not there because she had to pick up the kids...wow. Anyways, AAA comes & takes me about an hr away to Murfreesboro Tn. I get fixed all up the next morning & from then until the following Wednesday I do nothing but sit in between Murfreesboro & Knoxville(because they are deadheading me all over). Finally get a run up to Kansas & now I'm sitting again. This company has shown so many red flags that it makes me wonder if I'm dreaming. This is just the short version of course.