kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
come on todays load offer

dead head 107 miles
loaded miles 395

total miles truck would travel 502 pay to truck 352.80 + 42.79 fsc

total driver comp=$272.11
total owner comp=123.48

this dont come out to min charge of $1.05 per mile even on just the loaded miles

they want it expedited exclusive use.

fuel= $150.00 that driver must pay for brings driver pay down to $122.00

this load offer comes after 3 days sitting with transport time of this load

so if you take into account the fuel the driver burned for 3 nights idle

should driver accept this load?

should owner continue to service carrier thats 4 days pay to the owner or $30.00 per day
if this is the sign of how t/s is gonna run you on this reduced rate of 65% will you stick with it?

30 days of $30 = 900 how do you maintain a 50k truck on that can you pay the truck payment?

and even if you say look at it by the quarter it will be a loss

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Are you back in the biz, KW? Good to see you posting again. Welcome your insight on this mess.

Nope... couldn't survive. That's why I'm doing what I am.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
I should feel good about being with Panther because I have not gotten any load offers that low. I have gotten a few $1.10 offers, but they were long miles with very little deadhead maybe 15 miles. Useally they averaged out because the next few loads would be at full rate $1.55 plus fuel surcharge.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
I guess you can't really micromanage in this economy. What if this load that makes you $122 leads to another load that makes you $500 or $600? Then it would be worth it right?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I guess you can't really micromanage in this economy. What if this load that makes you $122 leads to another load that makes you $500 or $600? Then it would be worth it right?

And if it doesn't, you're SOL, right? That argument has gone round n round many times. Everyone will do it their way. I think in this environment, those who take every load are due to fail, if half of those loads are el cheapo.

Guess it depends on your situation, whether you can micromanage your business decisions.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
The point being if it's been more then 24 hour since you got a load and the area is full of trucks you have a chance to get a paid move to a better loacation. What happens if you turn down the reduced rate run and you sit another 36 hours. I will take my chances and take the $122 dollars to have the possiblity of getting a much better paying load. Carriers do more for owners that help them cover their loads. They might say there are no favorites, but that is not true.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Carriers do more for owners that help them cover their loads. They might say there are no favorites, but that is not true.

Or the carrier looks at the truck as "they will take anything" and continue to offer the lower paying loads to them.
Bottom line, what does it cost you to run your truck? If the load pays enough, take it, if it doesn't, pass on it.

moose

Veteran Expediter
its a holiday ,
good for America
bad for drivers waiting to got loaded
you grab what you can.

Moose.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Ok. We got a load offer going in Fl 500 miles 1.15 /mile with zero FS!!!Straight truck.
I refused the load and guess what ? 8 hours refusal status...I don't think this is a fair play game:mad:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ok. We got a load offer going in Fl 500 miles 1.15 /mile with zero FS!!!Straight truck.
I refused the load and guess what ? 8 hours refusal status...I don't think this is a fair play game:mad:

Then it's time for you to become a free agent. :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Lemme see here, yer in FL, tis a holiday? Ya git a chance for 500 mi @ 1.15? Fuel 'l cost a quarter. What other impo'tant things did ya do today??? No fsc? Boo hoo!

KW, after ya been mak'in that big money double dipp'in, whatca doing waiting for the beep these days.

What did I read wrong here??

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Lemme see here, yer in FL, tis a holiday? Ya git a chance for 500 mi @ 1.15? Fuel 'l cost a quarter. What other impo'tant things did ya do today??? No fsc? Boo hoo!

KW, after ya been mak'in that big money double dipp'in, whatca doing waiting for the beep these days.

Because people like you expediting is where it is...people like you takes cheep loads,loads with no Fs etc. For you, economics is some Sci Fi...

Mike99

Veteran Expediter

Smart guy! Before you say something, think!! Can you??You can not operate a st with 90 cents per mile.Think if you can ! Please! Or you can't...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe? So, let us know what you have to show for waiting, and waiting, and waiting for da home run, steada moving and checking the temp somewhere else? I don't understand the complete picture, but sci fi is real clear.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Smart guy! Before you say something, think!! Can you??You can not operate a st with 90 cents per mile.Think if you can ! Please! Or you can't...

I see what the Col is saying about it being a gift load. It's a holiday, and it makes you money when you're probably not going to make any today. However, I think you did the right thing. Going 500 miles into FL at what used to be normal rate is iffy. Going there at 90 cents is asking for trouble, IMO.

On the other hand, if everybody is hanging out in the "safe" zones, you might hit a homerun by going to the expedite boonies. Unfortunately, YOU don't have the crystal ball to see your competition, thereby making that point useless. There are options out here where you can call your own shots; and get the crystal ball.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If it cost more than .90 cpm to operate a 9 mpg D truck,what chance does a tractor trailer running for a truck load carrier that only gets 1.00 per mile with the fsc?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If it cost more than .90 cpm to operate a 9 mpg D truck,what chance does a tractor trailer running for a truck load carrier that only gets 1.00 per mile with the fsc?

Same chance a homeless guy can eat if he had a job paying 1.00 an hour. Doesn't make it right tho.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well folks, if I had a straight truck OR a tractor, that cost MORE than ninety cent a mile to operate, believe i'd shoot myself in the foot, an look for one a them buk an hour jobs.

Be a lot more fun.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well folks, if I had a straight truck OR a tractor, that cost MORE than ninety cent a mile to operate, believe i'd shoot myself in the foot, an look for one a them buk an hour jobs.

Be a lot more fun.

No, but I can show you a truck and a family that costs more than .90/mi. If we're just out here to make a truck payment and eat hot dogs, then what is the meaning of life? :confused:

Mike99 is probably fed 1500 miles a week, if that. If he says yes to those runs, they'll feed him more mac n cheese (.90 runs). Pretty soon, his company will give him Ramen noodles or worse.

C'mon, Col... between you and me and the rest of the forum here, do you honestly think he did the wrong thing by not encouraging crappy rates from his company? We're not talking LTL here. In his shoes, would you not do the same thing by turning that run down? Personally, that offer to me would've been their last, if they put me in the penalty box.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

Where is he getting .90/mile?
If he's getting 1500 miles per week at the 1.15/LM he stated, that's $6900 roughly, per month gross revenue; If it's .90, it's only $5400. Big difference. Maybe the difference of a truck payment. Am I missing where he only got .90 and not the 1.15 he stated?
Wouldn't be the first time!
And not that I'm advocating a D unit take 1.15/LM loads.
The problem is, you can't feed your family 'principles'. At least, not when there are others willing to feed their family weiners.