Locations & Banter , January 2019

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to hold back laughing at a shipping manager.
There was a delay at the shipper. He was a really nice guy. He suggested that if I haven't had lunch yet, I could get something to eat. I told him, I would step outside to my van for a few.
He got this shocked look on his face saying, "oh, you can bring it in here and eat. It's too cold outside".
I was speechless for a moment, thinking it's 64F and sunny out there o_O

Florida people :rolleyes:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
A huge majority of the Flying Pilots are sh×tholes. They really are. No maintenance, rarely ever clean, so many things dont work. Lack of snow removal. They try to operate as cheaply as possible.
Yup, wanna know why? Based on previous Mgmt jobs the trend is to hire new managers for less money but dangle big bonuses if they meet goals. The goals are usually profit related meaning the managers have to cut expenses to make the bucks. Customer service is not a "bonusable" metric.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A huge majority of the Flying Pilots are sh×tholes. They really are. No maintenance, rarely ever clean, so many things dont work. Lack of snow removal. They try to operate as cheaply as possible.

IDK, most of the ones I stop at are pretty nice. Come across the occasional iffy one now and then, but mostly pretty pleased with them. Or I have the bar set so low that I'm happy when there is toilet paper :D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
..... Or I have the bar set so low that I'm happy when there is toilet paper :D
happy-charmin-bear.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
Yup, wanna know why? Based on previous Mgmt jobs the trend is to hire new managers for less money but dangle big bonuses if they meet goals. The goals are usually profit related meaning the managers have to cut expenses to make the bucks. Customer service is not a "bonusable" metric.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

And it shows in every way.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree! Many still have a supply of the black plastic windshield washer/squeegee things where the handle comes loose from the head. It seems if the gas islands have a squeegee, there are no paper towels or the wash bucket is empty or frozen solid. But there is the shower credit program for vans and decent parking. I'd patronize Loves or Petro if they had a shower deal for vanners.

guido4475

Not a Member
I agree! Many still have a supply of the black plastic windshield washer/squeegee things where the handle comes loose from the head. It seems if the gas islands have a squeegee, there are no paper towels or the wash bucket is empty or frozen solid. But there is the shower credit program for vans and decent parking. I'd patronize Loves or Petro if they had a shower deal for vanners.

I completely agree. Flying Pilit doesnt give a sh×t about its customers, they just present the illusion that they do. The squeegee thing is quite comical, and shows the management mentality. They bought the squeegee separately from the handles to save money, not realizing that they were not completely compatible with each other, explaining why they do not stay tight, and come apart while using them. I have a longtime friend back home who is a manager of the flying pilot there, and it is mind boggling how they operate.

I use my own harbor freight extendable squeegee for 5 bucks that works beautifully.

Ever notice how much nicer a Petro/T/A is at the gas pumps, and throughout the whole facility? Night and day difference. Like you said, the absence of a van shower program and not as many locations make the Flying Pilots a better choice, even if we have to tolerate their cheap shenanigans.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Maybe some battery heated undies are in order

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loaded am and dropped afternoon.

Made that 8 hour local 12.

But hey, first run since Nov 3! And it paid what a week at a minimum wage job would.

Now at my first ever sleep study. Just gonna see. I haven't felt rested after sleeping for 20 years

Fell on the ice outside the clinic. Should I sue? Seems like a slimy thing to do. They didn't make it freezing rain for 12 hours

Edit: looks worse than a $30 a night room. No cocaroaches tho (so far)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Blue Beacon mobile service?

Kind of feels like it. Getting hammered right now in Florida.

Screenshot_20190123-210237.jpg

Got me thinking...

About a month ago I got my van washed at Blue Beacon. I asked if they had any wax that could be applied. All they had is Rain-X that is suppose to help keep it cleaner longer. Although skeptical, I sprang for it.

Since then, I've been through a couple of snow storms leaving my van coated (again) in salt and the liquid crap they put on the roads. So much for the Rain-X :rolleyes:

Then it rained. I was rather shocked to see my van looking like I just pulled out of the Blue Beacon :eek:

Maybe this stuff does work. At least for a while. I've never had rain do this good of a job.

After this high velocity wash I'm receiving now,
I should be good for another month :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rain x is good stuff, its my go to for broken wipers. Unfortunately doesn't last long enough for me (but they likely designed it that way)

Secret for paint jobs: rustoleum and hardener. Looks great cleaned with anything (rain, dish soap, gas station window wiper, oven cleaner)

Edit: im covered in wires and they stuck something up my nose

guido4475

Not a Member
Blue Beacon mobile service?

Kind of feels like it. Getting hammered right now in Florida.

Got me thinking...

About a month ago I got my van washed at Blue Beacon. I asked if they had any wax that could be applied. All they had is Rain-X that is suppose to help keep it cleaner longer. Although skeptical, I sprang for it.

Since then, I've been through a couple of snow storms leaving my van coated (again) in salt and the liquid crap they put on the roads. So much for the Rain-X :rolleyes:

Then it rained. I was rather shocked to see my van looking like I just pulled out of the Blue Beacon :eek:

Maybe this stuff does work. At least for a while. I've never had rain do this good of a job.

After this high velocity wash I'm receiving now,
I should be good for another month :D

If you want clean, sure, the streakin beacon is the place to go. If you want a chalky, messed up paint job over time, the streakin beacon is also the place to go. Their chemicals are extremely harsh on a paint job.

The best thing you can do is buy Turtle wax zip wash, (5 bucks for half a gallon at Walmart,) a brush, and an extendable pole, and go to a self serve wash and do it yourself. Send your email and I'll send you my growing list of over 175 tall self serve washes that work good. Doing it this way will cost around 10 bucks, and is great exercise as well.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Send your email and I'll send you my growing list of over 175 tall self serve washes that work good.
Why not post your list here. Better yet start a Tall Van Wash thread where we can add locations to your list. A mod could make it a sticky.

Reactions: RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
Send your email and I'll send you my growing list of over 175 tall self serve washes that work good.
Why not post your list here. Better yet start a Tall Van Wash thread where we can add locations to your list. A mod could make it a sticky.

I'd absolutely love to. But I still cannot get this app to allow me to post pictures from my files. The yellow box does absolutely nothing when I touch it to "upload files".