Loaning out your truck

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
In reading A-Team's thread "Two kinds of out of service" something has been mentioned that disturbs me. A carrier asking that you allow another driver(s) to take your truck to complete a run. This also reminds me of a rumor I've heard that on some of the "High Security" freight the drivers are required to check in at the guardshack, turnover thier vehicle to a stranger, and wait at the gate while this stranger drives off and loads thier truck and returns it,hopefully undamaged!

Our carrier has suggested that we get our "Security" clearance to broaden our load potentual. If this is part of the routine with these loads I say "thanks but no thanks!" I don't think any load could pay good enough for us to take that risk.Is this something that happens regularly with these loads and can a driver "rightfully" refuse to allow the stranger to drive off with thier truck once at the gate?

As for the situation "once your under the load" I'm afraid a transfer is in order, or the freight delivers late. We've always known if we have time to complete a run before we accept it. If after the accept the shipper changes the pu/del time to where it conflicts with the logbook,oh well,to bad. Wait or find another truck!

Acoording to our insurance carrier unless we actually hire another driver and pay that driver (form 1099) to drive our truck even on a one trip basis that driver is not covered on our plan in the event of an accident. So, does the carrier then assume responsibility if the driver is involved in an accident?:(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've heard from other drivers one time where dispatch asked them to let someone else, another FedEx driver, drive their truck. The request made sense from a customer service point of view, but the driver's view and liability issues trumped customer service in this case. They answered no and that was the end of it.

No shipper, consignee or dispatcher has ever asked us to let someone else drive our truck, whatever the type of load may be. If they did, the answer would be no. It's a very rare request, for good reason.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
a few year's ago when i was at fedexcc was asked to do a transfer with a b unit , when the b unit arrived at the transfer point load was to big to transfer up to a c unit and there was no forklift around, and i drove the b unit to deliver which was about 150 miles and than drove back to my unit, as the person had run out of hours on the run, i knew person and they agree to let me drive the unit to complete the run, and they were with me to

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>a few year's ago when i was at fedexcc was asked to do a
>transfer with a b unit , when the b unit arrived at the
>transfer point load was to big to transfer up to a c unit
>and there was no forklift around, and i drove the b unit to
>deliver which was about 150 miles and than drove back to my
>unit, as the person had run out of hours on the run, i knew
>person and they agree to let me drive the unit to complete
>the run, and they were with me to

Makes sense if you know the person, but I can't imagine letting someone I don't know drive my truck. Heck, I wouldn't loan out my $1500 beater to someone I didn't know and trust, much less my bread n' butter truck.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A "B" Unit out of Hours?

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was asked once to have someone drive my van to the dock to get unloaded, I said that if they want to do that, then they assume all the responsiblities for damage to the van personally and sign a contract saying so. I told the nice lady that the company will be obligated to cover the legal fees for the employee and that she as a representitive of the company may be called into court in Michigan to be a witness.
That stopped that idea right there.

There is no reason for anyone to get behind the wheel of your truck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
at that time fedexcc would only let a b unit drive 700 miles at one time and after driving that long you would be kind of tired safely 1st

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The limitation for B-units is something that the Fed and Panther will forget about if the situation calls for it. It's only about safety if the transfer can be arranged.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds just like the company I work at, SAFETY FIRST!!! (unless it interferes with production, then forget safety and run run run!!!)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
AHHHH Thanks Geo. Learn something new everyday.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
My wife can't even RIDE with me unless she has been cleared. While talking with the insurance lady from the Kitty Kat Carrier, she said I can't even let a neighbor ride in my van to the hardware store unless that neighbor is on the policy. Let someone else drive my van? When the weather changes. When H-ll freezes over.
:+ :+

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
>
>at that time fedexcc would only let a b unit drive 700 miles
>at one time and after driving that long you would be kind of
>tired safely 1st
What are the current restrictions on miles/hours in a cargo van, as far as FECC, Panther, Tri-State vs. some of the smaller carriers? I realize if you're hauling haz-mat you've got to follow regular logging procedures. What if you're with a co. that hauls haz-mat but you choose not haul it, can you run without logging or do they prefer you log? Tom.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with egl if i have to log it as in hazmat over a 1,000 lbs i don't carried it
and send i don't have a sealed bulk head there are of hazmat i can't carried