Loads out of Florida

Freking56

Expert Expediter
Im looking to get in the expediting industry , I'll be doing teams with a straight truck. I live in central florida near orlando is there alot of freight in that area and will there be alot of freight bringing me back home? any information will be greatly appreciated( thinking of joining conway-now any info with that company?

Mugg2000

Expert Expediter
>The answer is emphatically NO!!!!!

No to what part of this POST

Im looking to get in the expediting industry Y/N

I'll be doing teams with a straight truck. Y/N

I live in central florida near orlando Y/N
is there alot of freight in that area

will there be alot of freight Y/N
bringing me back home?

thinking of joining conway-now Y/N
any info with that company?

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
The sad truth of the matter is that once you get south of Jacksonville the expedited freight gets pretty scarce. Florida is a great consumer state but not really a producer aside from well... produce, and that comes back out on 53' reefers. The Sunshine State is not really what I'd call an expediter's paradise. Ask around and I'm sure others will concur.
- Scott

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Your best bet is to find a company that finds loads for your truck, rather than finding trucks for their loads. IMO, a company where the dispatch will actively look for something that will take you close to home when you need to go.

As far as getting out of FL, most O/Os and drivers I talk to dh up to Atlanta to get started. There just isn't enough expedite freight coming out of FL. There is LTL, however. The guy I run for loaded up one of his straight trucks out of central FL with 4 LTL loads up to OH. Lotsa work, but a good money maker if you're willing to go that way.

wshort

Expert Expediter
Personally I've been lucky, 3 times into florida and got 3 runs
coming out, been to Panama city, Orlando and Miami, and my experience
was the further south you went the longer you sat and the longer
the DH to the next load, and that was running with FedEx CC.
Heard from other drivers even one's that live in state that the
lower half is kind of dead for expedite.
Just make sure you get paid a good rate whenever going into the
dead zones, because more than likely you will be sitting for a few
days and have some hefty deadheading to do to get your next run.
Expediting involves both luck and savvy decision making, and the
more information you have to work with the better your decisions will
be.
Some times it's better to take shorter runs that keep you in the
freight lanes rather than taking a moderate paying run into no man's
land.

jsskipp2000

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, my name is scott, im from tampa fl. I use to drive back in the later 90's early 2000's, Im trying to get back into expediting again, i was laid off on july 2nd and have'nt worked since then.. i find myself coming back to the road.. I moved to florida and yes, its a dead zone here, everyone is saying i need 6 months exp. not more then 5 years out.. i cant find any company/owners that will give me the chance and time i need to get back in the truck ( straight truck ),, im a hard worker and im not on drugs nor do i drink, im clean cut and i DO shower every day,, I need a owner or operator to let me ride with them for 6 months or MORE, so i can get the required time in. i was hired by 5 companys until they seen my experience, I have a CDL class B but working on an A with haz, Thank you so much for your time.... scott 813-900-3662

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
every time I have been in florida I've had to go to atlanta to get a load out .. I've deadheaded all the way from ft.lauderdale out after waiting 2 days there then another day in orlando area .. very hard to find freight headed out of there. might do the ltl though .... might be a lil easier at least to not dead head out. good luck on it

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hate to tell you, but Con-Way Now is no more, it is now owned by Panther Expedited.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Tsk tsk Tsk, again the experts strike out. Getting in and Out of Florida Is easy, you just need to be working for yourself. Most of the "expedite freight companies" only look for expedite freight. Best advice for you is to look outside of the expedite companies for freight.

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Me and my wife live in fl. we drive for panther we have DH in and out 90% of the time it's a little easyer to get out if you have DOD clearance because you about 5 different base to haul out of.

Good luck I wouldn't live any where else so we budget money in and out.

Rich&Ida Panther Drivers

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay out of Florida, PLEASE stay out!! That will leave all that great freight to us!! We LOVE going down there!! We have NEVER sat more than 24 hours if you take out Sat and Sunday hours. Get to see family as well!!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Haha. This IS an old one that keeps coming back.

Yeah. What Layout said. Stay out of Florida. Freight is terrible, terrible, terrible. I can't imagine why anyone in Florida would start an expedite carrier.