Load One rolling strong in Sept!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After a painfully dull 7 day wait before getting another load on the van. Dispatch came through with Laredo to Michigan. 13 miles from my home. Would have been nice to pick up my bestpass while passing through this weekend, guess I'll have to swing by on my next voyage.

Hats off to Load 1 for getting me this load, salvaging my week (and out of Texas). Also for taking the hit to keep my bid rate the same, when the customer wanted to pay much less.

Thank you!

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Had another good week! Drop off my load this morning and drove 20 miles to a rest area. Slept and had several calls and got a shorty.

After much thought I'll be going oos first thing in the morning when I unload and heading to the parents. The storm is coming right in the middle early this week. Just to make sure there ok. After that I'll be back out.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Another day and another flight. Kind of cool start to driver appreciation week. Freighliner is coming out tomorrow to shoot a video on Load One and our experience with the new second gen cascadia.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another day a two flights. 0400 came earlier than it use to. I guess they needed that extra day to get their aircraft out of harms way. Back at home after a most enjoyable time the Navy Son and his family. What a joy those grandkids were. First time meeting the little Diva.

e639aed168a2a9499a992f502e916261.jpg

And I'm done!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Another day a two flights. 0400 came earlier than it use to. I guess they needed that extra day to get their aircraft out of harms way. Back at home after a most enjoyable time the Navy Son and his family. What a joy those grandkids were. First time meeting the little Diva.

e639aed168a2a9499a992f502e916261.jpg

And I'm done!

So coming back into service?

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
After a painfully dull 7 day wait before getting another load on the van. Dispatch came through with Laredo to Michigan. 13 miles from my home. Would have been nice to pick up my bestpass while passing through this weekend, guess I'll have to swing by on my next voyage.

Hats off to Load 1 for getting me this load, salvaging my week (and out of Texas). Also for taking the hit to keep my bid rate the same, when the customer wanted to pay much less.

Thank you!

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
I am to impatient to wait it out in Laredo. I found myself there twice last week. First time, immediately deadheaded to Memphis after dropping on Monday morning. Tuesday, I get loaded out of Mississippi on a load delivering direct back to Laredo. I decided after that to give Laredo a chance, however, after 2 days of sitting, I got too impatient and deadheaded up to Dallas. After getting a good nights sleep, I get a load picking up in Oklahoma City and delivering in Michigan. Turned out to be a decent week, even with all the deadhead. Both loads paid in the $1/mile range.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Got my BESTPASS installed. Thanks, John!

It's two separate transponders enclosed in one convenient plastic case (note the heavy sarcasm). No, really, the ungainliness and umsightliness of the plastic case is a feature. It's not a flaw. It's a feature. Got it? Feature!

You could remove the transponders from the case and adhere them separately to the windshield and they'll work, same as if they are in the case. But there is a barcode sticker on outside of the case that identifies the two transponders as a matched set. So if you take them out of the case, pray you never lose the case.

The upper transponder has attached velcro adhesive strips that protrude through the case, making it easy to apply out to the windshield. The strips are in the sane exact spots that the I-Pass strips are, so you can probably just swap the transponders easy peasy.

The bottom transponder has velcro strips on it, too, but they don't protrude through the case. So they're just there for show. And for emergency velcro strips, I guess.

The top velcro strips will hold the thing in place, but it'll rattle like crazy. I added another velcro strip horizontally across the bottom, carefully placed between the two serial numbers, to more firmly secure it to the windshield. When you get the transponder('s) they will give you a couple of spare velcro strips.

Reactions: jelliott

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
0911171557a.jpg

The cab-facing side of the transponder assembly. Serials and barcodes partially blacked out.

0911171558a.jpg

The windshield-facing side. Serials again partially blocked out. But you can see holes cut in the plastic case for the velcro strips on the blue transponder. No holes cut for the bottom transponder, but that one is kind of recessed so it might not work even if it had holes. But you can see where I placed a third velcro strip. That velcro strip is placed onto a sticker that is affixed to the outside of the plastic case, which is why I made sure the serial numbers on it can still be read.

The two stips on the blue transponder will hold it to the windshield, but it acts like a hinge and the bottom half of the case flaps on and off the windshield. Hence the third strip.

Reactions: jelliott

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 16191

The cab-facing side of the transponder assembly. Serials and barcodes partially blacked out.

View attachment 16192

The windshield-facing side. Serials again partially blocked out. But you can see holes cut in the plastic case for the velcro strips on the blue transponder. No holes cut for the bottom transponder, but that one is kind of recessed so it might not work even if it had holes. But you can see where I placed a third velcro strip. That velcro strip is placed onto a sticker that is affixed to the outside of the plastic case, which is why I made sure the serial numbers on it can still be read.

The two stips on the blue transponder will hold it to the windshield, but it acts like a hinge and the bottom half of the case flaps on and off the windshield. Hence the third strip.

Looks tacky. You can't take it out and mount them side by side?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Congratulations to the following drivers, who won gift cards today, to Tim Horton's , or Pilot.

Tim Hortons
Ciprian Gugu
Dennis Olson
Bradly Steres

Pilot
Stephan James
Jay Shepard
Robert Woodwyk

Please stop in Operations to pick up your card, & enjoy!

We will post Tuesday's winners tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: FlyingVan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looks tacky. You can't take it out and mount them side by side?
Well, they give you an instruction sheet from BESTPASS that goes to great lengths to impress upon you that there is NO REASON to remove them from the case. Clearly, they made that determination without asking me, as I can think of three reasons to do so, but I digress.

From the first page of the instructions:
IMG0003.jpg

(Full page is attached in a PDF file)

The blue transponder is an EZ Pass, good for anywhere EZ Pass and I-Pass works. The white transponder on the bottom is a Horizon transponder, compatible with Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Florida. That's why you need two of them.

They are a matched set, serial numbered and barcoded and everything. If/when you have to turn them in, either when you leave expediting and will no longer use it, or if it fails and has to be replaced, I'm thinking you'd better return them inside the plastic case, because of the matched set barcoding and stuff. Otherwise you may get charged for them, anyway. BESTPASS says "Trust us on this one," so I'm left to guess as to the ramifications of mounting them without the stylish plastic case. Clearly, they need to be kept together in a matched set, and the matched serial number needs to be kept with them.

I've mounted as shown and described in the pics above, and I'll probably leave it that way. It's a little distracting, though, but that may be because it's just new and different and I'll get used to it. But I already know that when I wipe the inside of the windshield with paper towels, I need to remember to pull that thing off before wiping, because the edges of the plastic case are like razor blades, especially the corners. It's the same plastic that you have to cut open with scissors or a knife when you buy something in order to get it out of the package.

I do like the fact that the I-Pass and the blue EZ Pass velcro fasteners are located in the same place, so I can pull down the BESTPASS and slap on the I-Pass when I do a personal toll.

Some people may not want or need the third velcro fastener on the bottom of the case, but it was the first thing I knew was necessary for me.

The instructions also impress the fact that it needs to not be installed behind a wiper location, as in where the wiper swath is. Says to be sure to install it as close to the center as possible to ensure it is outside and slightly above the wiper location. Yeah, no, that's not gonna happen in a Sprinter. You would HAVE to remove them from the case and mount them side-by-side to keep both out of the wiper path. Mounted as center-high as possible, the blue transponder is out of the wiper path, the white Horizon transponder is not. May have to turn the wipers off when going through a toll booth in TX, OK, KS or FL. If that doesn't work, removing them from the case may be the only option.

Attachments

• Inst.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1