load 1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Load 1 sounds like a good carrier based upon what people have stated on EO. The drivers seem loyal

You'll notice most of us are not rookies..Most of us you'll also notice don't focus on the miles but the rate per mile....I don't know if I'd use the word loyal or not...dogs are loyal.....LOL

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You'll notice most of us are not rookies..Most of us you'll also notice don't focus on the miles but the rate per mile....I don't know if I'd use the word loyal or not...dogs are loyal.....LOL

You bring a good point, when I first start driving a CV back in September I didn't know what to do or what to expect. Learning this business from scratch and more less being dropped I had to hit the ground running. I like my current carrier they have treated me well. Good weeks and bad but that isn't their fault, just always checking that greener grass lol

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can keep track of how your doing by keeping a running tally of your loads: 1. rate per loaded mile, 2. rate per loaded mile with fuel sur. chg, 3. rate per loaded mile with fuel sur,chg and dead head. Any time you can average out your trips to see how the rates are going. I do mine on a monthly avg. I agree that every load is not going to be a home run and sometimes your carrier has to cover a load that they ask you to run. Remember that doing a favor usually brings a favor back to you!

Much simplier than that for vans. Total dh and loaded miles and all pay, then figure rate per mile. There is no difference between dh and loaded in my book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Much simplier than that for vans. Total dh and loaded miles and all pay, then figure rate per mile. There is no difference between dh and loaded in my book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Thats the way I figure it for my st8, nice and simple......:thumbup:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You bring a good point, when I first start driving a CV back in September I didn't know what to do or what to expect. Learning this business from scratch and more less being dropped I had to hit the ground running. I like my current carrier they have treated me well. Good weeks and bad but that isn't their fault, just always checking that greener grass lol

I am still looking for greener grass....LOL....never stop looking....cuz "ya never know"....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A mile is 5,280 feet whether you are deadheading, loaded, sight-seeing or whatever. A mile costs a certain amount of expense whether you are deadheading, loaded, sight-seeing or whatever. That's one of the first important lessons, along with knowing what it costs to travel that mile.

One of the next important lessons to learn is that steering wheel holders focus on number of miles. "How many miles a week can I get at X?" "How many miles a week is your carrier giving you?" etc.. That's steering wheel holder conversation.

Expediting career followers focus on the bottom line. They know what each mile costs. They know when and how to maximize revenue. They know when and how to economize on expenses. They focus on the bottom line, not on the odometer.

More on topic, Load-1 seems to be one of the better paying companies. They definitely are one of the better companies for understanding that their fleet is their biggest asset even though they don't own it. They do more to cultivate and maintain good working relationships than anyone else I've heard of. If I were looking at companies they would be first on the very short list.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort....
17e94f36-3a57-4b2b-a4f4-f9daff901fb9_zpsca9e9784.jpg

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
So being ST driver is more simple than cargo in terms of your monthly or quarterly profits?

I think so, I don't"have" to run. I have a bottom rate that it takes to get me to crank the truck, if I don't get it well I'm good saying no and turning the dtv back on.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I think so, I don't"have" to run. I have a bottom rate that it takes to get me to crank the truck, if I don't get it well I'm good saying no and turning the dtv back on.

A.) I have that in my van as well. Unless its to get me to a better area or if I need to be somewhere specific.
B.) I wish my van had DTV! That would make waiting on a load so much better

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"I wish my van had a DTV!" Get some books at a used book store, throw in a couple of how to run a business. It will be a better investment.:rolleyes:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
another difference between the two carriers is the extra pennies that come of your rate for various things. like, do you have a fee charged to use your fuel card, any other fees charged by the carrier for whatever, the difference between getting the same rate for all miles and getting a flat rate and a dead head rate. the last of those being a biggie. example for a sprinter, you run 10,000 miles a year DH @ let say .50 per mile = 5000.00 $ pay - fuel,"500 gal. @ 3.70" = 1850.00 or 3150.00 $ for DH. our way, same equation, 10,000 @ 1.05 = 10,500.00 $ pay - fuel = 8650.00.
what else good could you do with 5500.00 $ a year. most dont look at these things but every bit makes quite a nice profit over most carriers. that 5500.00 is 5.5 cents more per mile, based on a 100,000 miles a year.

you can figure all mile rates at any carrier, no matter how they pay, but if that dh is not being truly paid at the same rate as loaded then it will drag down the all mile rate.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I love bragging about per mile loaded rates. But I always try to slap that DH mileage in to keep myself grounded. Or at least somewhat grounded.
"All miles" is the only math I need when it comes down to it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One of the biggest factors besides rates?......Think of this....you will NEVER be stranded at the side of the road...NEVER....Load 1 will do everything they can to get you to a shop and back on the road...That is real security...

True. On my last load, I blew a coolant hose just before midnight, just north of Columbus, Oh. First call was to dispatch, and their first question was "Do you need us to locate roadside assist?" I really appreciated that - most would ask first whether it would affect my delivery time, as if that's more important than getting the immediate problem solved. [I didn't need them to locate it, cause I prefer to let the owner do that, but it did get done promptly.] While I waited for the mechanic, another Load 1 truck saw me, and stopped to check, and said he'd let dispatch know it was under control - that was nice, too.
Those little things make a big difference to most of us.

PS Even Load 1 can't pull rabbits out of a hat, though: when it turned out to be a "first thing in the morning" repair, I got to the truck stop ok, and found a motel a mile away, but had no way to get there, and so I walked. At 0330. In 8 degree temps, with a vicious wind chill.
'Paid tourist', my you know what, lol. ;) Is it spring yet?!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
True. On my last load, I blew a coolant hose just before midnight, just north of Columbus, Oh. First call was to dispatch, and their first question was "Do you need us to locate roadside assist?" I really appreciated that - most would ask first whether it would affect my delivery time, as if that's more important than getting the immediate problem solved. [I didn't need them to locate it, cause I prefer to let the owner do that, but it did get done promptly.] While I waited for the mechanic, another Load 1 truck saw me, and stopped to check, and said he'd let dispatch know it was under control - that was nice, too.
Those little things make a big difference to most of us.

PS Even Load 1 can't pull rabbits out of a hat, though: when it turned out to be a "first thing in the morning" repair, I got to the truck stop ok, and found a motel a mile away, but had no way to get there, and so I walked. At 0330. In 8 degree temps, with a vicious wind chill.
'Paid tourist', my you know what, lol. ;) Is it spring yet?!

Ma'am that right there is a great story. That isn't something most carriers would do, I commend you for sharing

Edit:from dude to ma'am

Last edited: