Lift Gate Lift Axle

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It looks like I will have the money soon to add either a lift gate or a lift axle. Our truck has a 24 foot box, is double framed and has a 450 HP engine. But we only have a 10,500 pound capacity. A lift axle would raise our weight capacity and allow us to haul heavier freight.
But, it seems like there is a lot of demand for a lift gate too.
Regardless of which carrier you are signed on with, which would you chose to do first?

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Being on the flat rate plan, would the lift gate bring in a higher rate, or just increased load opportunities?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The additional pay for lift gate would be the same for flat rate or percentage.
Flat rate pays extra for all accessorials.
But, the lift gate would lower my weight capacity below 10,000 pounds and probably make my truck a C unit.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think the key is "regardless of carrier" when making a decision like this.

Absolutely correct.
Every carrier has different uses for there trucks. FedEx, Panther and Landstar do a lot of lift gate. I don't think Load 1 or Allstate Express do many lift gate loads.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Good question, there are many ways to look at it and things to weigh before a decission can be made. Here are a few questions that come to mind.
How often do you haul freight that puts you close to capacity?
Will one or the other have a faster ROI (return on investment)?
What other costs will be involved due to the addition of either? Ie. maint., tire replacement or addition of more equipment (pallet jack), taxes like FET on the lift axle ect.

All of those will likely play into your decission. Here is my opinion. I would probably go with the lift gate over the axle if I had to choose. Like you said above it would increase the pay beyond your flat rate thuss giving you the opportunity to make more on a load. You would also not only open yourself up for lift gate loads but also inside p/u and delivery. I would think that the ROI on the lift gate would be much faster and then allow you to install the lift axle at a later date.
If you don't already have a pallet jack I would suggest you look into an adjustable jack. We have one and find it a huge asset to have the flexibillity to narrow the tines to fit the euro skids and server skids while also having the stabillity of the full width when needed.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Did we mention taxes ?
buying one before the end of the year, and the 2nd after the 1st of the year, will allow you to choose your Gov. contribution.
if you are expecting a big tax bill this year, then finding the money to invest it all now, might be good.

one more item to consider is load distribution,
how far back is the drive axle?,
placing the anchor boat a few feet behind, may make the steering a sail boat.
and you will find the need to load heavy to the front all the time, especially with that longer box.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
From what I've seen of your postings, it seems that your getting all the load opps you can handle as it is. Unless that axle or liftgate can add some extra money to the overall rate, I wouldnt want either one. Getting an extra $25 for using the liftgate wouldnt cut it either. You'll be earning every penny of that $25.

I would want to know for sure that my bottom line was going improve by quite a bit before I bothered with either one. I like cash in my pocket as least as much as I like it elsewhere.

mss1963

Expert Expediter
It looks like I will have the money soon to add either a lift gate or a lift axle. Our truck has a 24 foot box, is double framed and has a 450 HP engine. But we only have a 10,500 pound capacity. A lift axle would raise our weight capacity and allow us to haul heavier freight.
But, it seems like there is a lot of demand for a lift gate too.
Regardless of which carrier you are signed on with, which would you chose to do first?

Jim,
I've been here 5mth's have lift gate, and myself can haul 12,500lbs and never even get close to that,so it would be a toss up on which way to go. I think with the company you are leased ontio now it could go either way, plus I've had lift gate load's and when I got to customer or consignee never had to use it at either end but they requested a liftgate.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I also depends on your truck. I lower my liftgate when I put 4000# or higher on my truck. I am a reefer so weight IS an issue. I can scale 18,0000. The most I have put on has been about 16,000, one time.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Since we are talking about lift axles, I have a question. Does being able to drop the axle help make the truck more stable in high winds?

Sent from my DROID X2

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since we are talking about lift axles, I have a question. Does being able to drop the axle help make the truck more stable in high winds?

Sent from my DROID X2

Yes, I do that often. I will also drop it in the mountains LOVE the extra set of brakes.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I use my lift gate all the time. I get an extra 25.00 for lift gate delivery.

tk

Are you running local cartage or over the road with that kind of liftgate rate?

I guess the next question is, "Do you own the truck, or driving someone elses?"

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Sent from my DROID X2

Have extra tires on the ground is definitely nice on a snowy night as well. I even had times where I put them down because the truck was moving too much while I was sleeping.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have extra tires on the ground is definitely nice on a snowy night as well.

I have never driven a truck with a lift axle but I would think that dropping a lift axle in slippery conditions would be taking weight off the drives, exactly where I would want the weight. When I first joined E.O. another member mentioned doing this. At the time I did not comment. What am I missing?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I have never driven a truck with a lift axle but I would think that dropping a lift axle in slippery conditions would be taking weight off the drives, exactly where I would want the weight. When I first joined E.O. another member mentioned doing this. At the time I did not comment. What am I missing?

Don't believe you are missing a thing Moot. I always would lower the lift axle air pressure or lift it all together when running in bad snow/ice conditions.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

You are not missing anything. One can lessen the effect by playing with the pressure. I have not noticed this to be much of a problem though. When the truck is loaded it is never a problem. The ONLY time I have noticed it was when I had the axle down and was empty