Lift Axle????

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know where to get a decent used lift axle for a straight truck at a reasonable price?

Thanks

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I wouldn't mess with a "used" lift axle. You just don't know how they have been used (abused). Saving a couple hundred bucks me tink, might cost dearly in installation and safety costs.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
bought mine on ebay you really do need to know what your looking at though as lift axles generally come off dumps and their usually beat to crap. Steerable or non ? air up/down? controls? currently 4 on ebay motors right now......

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We bought ours at a Utility Trailer place in Saint Louis where they also installed it. We thought the price was reasonable. Might be an area you can check to see if any of the Utility Trailer locations near you will install one.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Team Caffee. We do know what we are looking for and a used one is not a bad choice as long s you look it over good. Had a used steering axle one on another owner's truck one time and it worked great for what little it was used.

Team Caffee do you remember off hand the cost? Roughly?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob is thinking we paid $4500.00. That price was installed with wheels and tires. Later we added shocks to the axle which we wish we would have done at the beginning.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is a truck frame and axle place next to Fyda Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio that does a fair amount of lift-axle work on trucks of all kinds, including expediters. I don't recall the company name. Fyda people can tell you. They may have or know where to find used lift axles.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We did one several years with Rush in southern Indiana. It was about the same price as Linders and it had new tires.
Installation was one day.
Hpe that helps.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Bob and Linda, where did you get the shocks put on your lift axle? Cost? How long did it take? Hope you guys are doin ok. Layoutshooter

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Jones Truck and Spring Repair, Inc in Columbus, Ohio installed a lift axle for us. They do a lot of them as they put them on their own trucks ( a fleet of sand and gravel trucks). They had many units in stock and I would not be surprised if they might have some used equipment.

They later added shocks to mine and solved the "bouncing" problem I was having.

The number in Columbus is 1-800-828-6769. The person I dealt with was JD.

Good Luck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We bought our axle new and we had our shocks put on at Utility Trailer which is Craftsman in Saint Louis.