Legionares Disease

barney

Expert Expediter
I just learned that my Dad has Legionares disease. They think he got it at a hotel in Indy. Does anyone know anything about the disease? I would appreciate any info you could give.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What I have heard is that Hotel Air Conditioners tend to grow the bacteria that causes it. Mold and junk get trapped inside,filters don't get changed and off you go. There was a big outbreak of this in Philadelphia some years ago.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rich is right, but you want more specific info, such as treatment protocols, expected outcome, etc - Google Legionnaires, & get the info from people who have a lot more, and more recent, information than you can get from us nonprofessionals. Hope he gets better soon!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
most of the air conditioner units need to dump the water that accumilates in the evaporators, sounds like no one has checked the system in a while. Many of the new systems have sensors that will sense the accumilation of the water.

barney

Expert Expediter
Thanks ya'll, Mom said he is getting better every day. At 82 he is in better shape than me, so I am sure he will pull through. I will pass the sight along to mom.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a bout of Shriner's Disease a few years ago. I looked silly wearing a fez. Eventually I recovered. The only lasting effects are a tendecy for the occasional smart ##### remark.

stanleyshenko

Seasoned Expediter
I had it last year. Survived.

It is very nasty and the doctors misdiagnosed it as pneumonia, which it is in a way. I hope he survives it. My prayers are with you and him.

The only thing they did was pump me full of antibiotics and then have me take a series of antibiotics after I was released from the hospital. I am fine now. Once you have had it you can never get it again.

I think I got it from a homemade still.

Stanley