Leaving expediting

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Due to the fact that things are slow now and don't know when they will pick up again, I will be leaving expediting because I can't make my lease payments of $1900 a month and still make a living and pay my home bills.
Funny thing about all this 4 years ago when I first started with Panther I had a lease and lost that van due to getting no loads, so I started to drive for other owners and build my self up to where I could pay cash for a used van and was doing 2500 miles a week even when it was slow. But that van was a 1997 and had 600,000 miles on it and I was putting to much into it.
then the last straw was it was in for repairs and I was down for two weeks and Panther held my settlement when I thought that I had enough to pay the bill and get it out. So I ended up selling it to the garage that did the work on it in order to pay the bill.
Oh well thats the way it goes.
I wish all of you the best of luck.

Panther Art

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
P Art sorry to har about your difficulties.Perhaps you can hook up with another owner. Good Luck and keep us posted.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hate to see you go, but I am confused as to what you are driving at $1900 a month? I hope the $1900 doesn't represent the van.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Yea Dave it does I know stupid.
The van payment is $900 a month and the owner takes $1000.00
And I pay 100% of the panther charges.
I was out of a job for about a month at the time and liked at what I made last year as an owner and thought that I could do it and still make money.
Nice huh having a van on with Panther and making a $1000.00 a month and costing you nothing.
Please kick me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Panther Art

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Now I do see the problem as you have. As Rich mentioned, you might find a fleet owner for a straight or something that would put you in better shape.
$1900 a month in a van payment will put you under. I am actually amazed you hung on as long as you did. A different scenerio and it might have been a much different outcome.
I actually think $1900 a month is too high for a straight truck payment. First couple of years will be fine until the warranty runs out. Then, get your wallet ready.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I am going up to panther in the morning and see if I quit driving for this owner can I drive for someone else.
Wish me luck!
Panther Art

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good luck! Remember......nothing with payments, or you will take a hit in a van if driving for someone.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Art,

Sorry to see you go. If you do decide to stay, get yourself a mentor. Find someone who has been sucessful in the business for some time, and ask their suggestion before you try anything new. You will find that alot of people are willing to help. You just have to ask, and be willing to listen to their advice.

I wish you well

Road Hooligan

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Bob
I wish that Panther would take a look at contracts and let us know if they are doable before we get into these messes.
I know that Panther won't get involved with owners and there drivers but I really think in some ways they should and then maybe the turn over rate would not be so high.

Panther Art

G

Hey, about PantherII, I have been there 4 years. I own my own van. Live in a so called "Hot spot" in Ohio. My van payment is 413.00 monthly. And I am still having troubles making that payment, and my regular monthly at home bills. My wife works a seperate job. And with both of our incomes, due to lack of work with Panther, it is still hard to make the 413.00 a month van payment.

They hold my weekly settlements, due to inactivity. Even though I am in service.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That, my friend, would happen ONE week with me.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
They hold your settlement pay for being inactive?? What is the logic behind that or is there more I should know?

panther_art

Expert Expediter
They hold it to cover the cost of insurance and qc and all the charges that panther charges each week.

Got to get there money you know.

The reason they do that is because to many owners would wait until they got there last settlement before quitting.
Thats what they told be anyway.

Panther Art

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If they know you're leaving the company, why don't they deduct it from the escrow you've paid?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would imagine the escrow isn't fully funded. This must be for single trucks rather than fleets. We have never had ours held. I would do alittle investigating but that is the only thing I can think of. Additionally, fleets have more money in escrow, but from a legal standpoint, they have 15 days. The return time of your escrow is in your contract.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

budman70

Expert Expediter
Well I still come to this site to read the post I left expediting because all the b.s. I now drive tractor trailer on a dedicated route home everyday insurance health dental optical I get a w-2 I know what I make every week and my wife likes me alot more than she did when i would call and say no loads might be home next week!!!I was in expediting for 6+ years and was screwed by the best of them and as far as p2 there a joke not 2 bad back in the day but today a sorry outfit 1900.00 for a van i would post his name all over this site as is for anyone who gets into these great deals good luck and god bless stay strong not everyone is bad

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I believe is from when vans would sign on and leave as fast as they came and payroll just does it all the same.

I am just saying that is what they told me when my van was down, and about a year ago I hurt my back and was off for 4 weeks they held my settlement back then too.

As far as fleets if one truck would go down they always have the other trucks to cover the payments.

Panther Art

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Just thought that I would let you all know that I am still driving got a load offer and decided to take it had a pretty good week.
And as bad as this contract is I did sign it and I am not a quiter.
I tried to get someone at panther to look into this but you know they don't get involved with owners and there drivers so no luck there.
Being a paralegal before expediter I have some friends still in the legal market thats is going to do some legal research for me to see what I can do to get out of this and not lose all the money that I put into into it.
Got an email from the owner and because there was no settlement this week he says it not fair that he has to go weeks with no income, so from now on he's going to keep all the money each week until the $1900 is paid for the month then if there is any left I would get paid.
I am going to let him breach this contract because I know he will, greed is very powerful but it always comes back to bite you.
Rock and a hard place. Thats where I am.

Panther Art