Laredo

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Rich,

I do not think you are racist, HOWEVER: (caveat here) I do see and understand how your statement would offend and be preceived as such. I do not see Buffalo, NY described as a small border town that pregnant Mexican females can use to have their baby thus making a new US citizen on ADC and whatever else they can find If you read that statement and still cannot see how it would be perceived as a racist and stereotypical comment then I apologize....but even when I re-read it I can totally understand how someone that does not know you can perceive it as such.

-charlotte

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Charlotte, da Buff is a long way for someone to get across the border and squat, as such. Don't think there is any revelance there. Now, if an illegal has a birthing difficulty and get to a Buff hospital for care, or no difficulty, in she goes with our arms wide open (seemingly). I'd say there there would be 50 to 1, new Mexican "citizens" in Laredo versus the Buff. Not a good analagy.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I would post something here "that is true about aliens and laredo" but FREE SPEACH OR WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT SAID TOPIC is not aloud here, because I might hurt somebodies feelings. But I will say rich hit one of the nails right on the head.

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Exactly - Rich's comment, (which was offensive only because it's a fact: the illegals have, as Leo pointed out, poisoned the well for every honest and lawabiding immigrant. Some of whom are, I'd bet, in everyone's ancestry, mine included) was made in reference to Laredo, which is a well known entry point for Mexicans to 'sneak' into the U.S. Last time I was there, a few weeks ago, I got stopped on I35, along with every other vehicle, by Border Patrol, so they and the drug sniffing dog could assess me - something that never happens in Buffalo!
Col: I'm sure that "Ms Mod" meant me, but I wouldn't have pulled or locked the thread. I agree with Greg that dialogue, conversation, communication - whatever you call it, is important. It's how we clear up misunderstandings & misperceptions, sometimes. My vote is always to leave it out there, as long as it stays civil.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess there is a first time for every thing. I am sorry that 2 individuals took my post out of contex and decided to attack me. I have been around EO for over 8 years and up until today have never had my integrity,posts,or motives questioned. Kinda makes you wonder why??

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't worry about it Rich. Anyone who thinks Rich is a rascist is badly mistaken at least from anything I've seen from him on here. Even when my wife and I went and visted him in Little Rock when he was up there with the Super Truck he was really nice. Heck he took a picture with me and everything. He even let me take pictures with the truck. He's a nice guy. I think he struck a nerve because sometimes the truth hurts and he said something a lot of people want to say but are to scared to, but I seriously don't think he meant to offend anyone.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
well I for one do not see where you were attacked.....but are you truly that sensitive about someone questioning something you write? Perception is a powerful thing......I was told by a very wise person one time that reality does not matter if someone perceives it differently. as far as taking out of context....someone asked what will happen to Laredo and you gave a response that someone called you on.....I truly hope you are not that thin-skinned. After all we all also defend you when someone makes a comment about e/o catering to corporate sponsors in forums etc....it is all about perception and fairness. Lets just call it checks and balances......group hug now.

-charlotte

col.....my point is buffalo is it is a border town and we have many canadians that come into this country...many canadian truck drivers etc....the difference is that canada is not an 3rd world country and they tend to not WANT to stay here....thus we do not complain about the canadians taking US jobs etc.....plus their benefits are actually better than ours :p

B

Buster

As Steve Urkle once said...
"Did I do that?"

Carl J.
Lorain, OH

Shoot first and ask questions later - and make sure the body is INSIDE the house!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'll be honest I'm tired of the illegals coming up taking the jobs and driving down wages. Plus they refuse to learn english. THIS IS AMERICA OUR LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH LEARN TO SPEAK IT. My grandmother and here family came here LEGALLY from Italy. Guess what they learned to speak english before they got here. What really burns me up is they expect us to learn spainish to accomadate them. They must be crazy if they think I'm going to learn a forgein language to speak to people in my home country. I have friends from the service born in Mexico who came here legally and they think its bs. If the legals are so upset about us saying something why don't they start turning the illegals in? To me it would be a slap in the face to know I went through the proper channels and this other guy just comes in without a care in the world.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Buster,
You are the only hispanic I know that abbreviates their last name. All my friends from the service had their last names on the back glass of their truck. Wore t shirts with it on there. The whole nine.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
now all of you get along and get back to the post topic, who is rjr. well, rjr is a small co. that has been around for a long while. they have hq. in windsor and a office in sylvania, Oh. they shut down u.s. operations after 9/11 and just reopened it last oct. or nov. we have about 25 units on the u.s. side which satisfies us for now. we are made up of mostly veteran expediters, quite a few of us were conway together and are now rjr together. we do not haul freight for 1.05 add .20 to that. yes we do have larger sleeper trucks but really no larger than any other husband /wife team trucks. and yes we do have very good luck at getting in and out of laredo or most anywhere we haul freight to. rjr's people work very hard for us and realize the importance of keeping us loaded. no chance of them becoming a super company, but they are a super co. to be leased to. chances are if you see any of us and come visit you might find you have met us before. RJR trk. # 26007

B

Buster

AK,
Viva la differance (LOL)
Truth be known we (my brothers and I) where raised Anglo. Never taught spanish, low key cultural experience. Raised "north of the tracks - or steel mill so to speak. Never really exposed to La Vida. I joke that we where raised white, LOL. No offense to ya'll white folks. (oops - was that a racist comment???)

Carl J. Jasinto (Jacinto)
Lorain, OH

By the way, the family name is Jacinto, the Army changed it to Jasinto prior to my father shipping out. He diecide to keep it,if he wanted to change it back he would have had to ship out with a new bunch of guys.

B

Buster

AK,
I agree with you about the illegals coming in. Ticks me off that they do cross over illegally, drop a kid off, then stay here and hope they don't get caught. Then when they do get caught they dare to seek refuge in a church, or make a big political stink about it. And yes, I realize that there are more than just the Mexicans coming in illegally.

Carl J.
Lorain, OH

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I realize there are alot more than mexicans coming in as well. The thing that bothers me is the southern border is so easy to cross. What I'm about to say I don't mean as a racist comment, but as observation. When we captured terrorists as pows and they were made to shave their beards they have a striking resemblence to hispanics. That is something else that bothers me. They can shave put on blue jeans and a ball cap and look like they grew up in nuevo laredo.

B

Buster

I've been mistaken for Italian and Arabic. When 911 happened I trimmed my beard way back because I got alot of stares because I looked like an Al-Quida member.

prescat

Expert Expediter
I feel your pain Buster. Same thing happened to me...ALL THE TIME after 911. I'm an American, (and veteran, as was my dad, my uncles, and both grandfathers) of Italian and Hungarian descent and I'm very dark complected and Arabic looking. I used to run a NYC-Boston nightly run and got pulled out of the tunnel/bridge lines every night. It culminated when one morning I was sipping coffee and doing my log/planning my route on a special side run after just crossing into NH from Mass. Six Troopers surrounded my truck out of nowhere with guns drawn and pulled me out of the truck at gunpoint, because some anonymous old lady on 95 in Mass called in a "suspicious looking Aarab guy driving a white box truck. No other reason. I shaved my head and mustache the next day. (and the slogan for NH is Live Free or Die). The Police were nice and apologized but I also complained to the Governors office the next day and will never spend one recreational cent in New Hampshire.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don Imus is sitting at home, laughing.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

prescat

Expert Expediter
As to Rich M's post. Rich M has always seemed like a nice guy to me, and he's obviously an experienced and helpful expediter/moderator, but with that said, he made a comment and it was racist, and it's his right, but don't backpeddle or give the "it was taken out of context" bs. If that's how you feel, stand behind it, don't say it was meant any other way. If it looks like a duck.... Illegal immigration concerns me, but when I hear that, "they're just coming in to suck up welfare stuff, I have to laugh." When I used to live in the Northeast, I believed that. But let's look inside the country and our own lazy people/ and kids that people are raising. I used to own a small (5 truck household fleet) in the mid 80s to mid 90s. Starting at 12-15 bucks and hour (+ tips), I had so many employee problems, Lateness, drunks, "I can't work weekends because my wife and I have picnics, parties.. but can I get an advance on my pay?", "I have to be home by 4 today, my girlfriend needs a ride to the mall" Workmen/Contractors for my house? Legit, licensed ones, that stood me up three days in a row with no call. Kids with after school starter jobs, American parents are teaching them it's beneath them. "Here's some money for that video game" No work ethic and a lot of laziness. That's the reality. Then I started trucking in AZ and South Texas and started reading about a Mexicans dying in the desert trying to cross and take crappy jobs..(yes that Americans won't do). When I use to deliver to Sieera Vist AZ, a major van line agent I was friends with would provide labor. He swore my help was legal, but I'm pretty sure they werent. Guess what, these young guys worked their rear-ends off. They didn't want to break, it meant they couldn't get to another job. I lived in California for a while, and all the Mexicans I knew worked side businesses after full-time jobs..and they showed up. Fast forward to the day before Memorial Day this year. I worked a half day and I'm driving home towing a purchase I worked hard for. After the 200 mile trip home at 2:30am I'm on a State Highway in my pick-up, about 2 miles from my home exit when I heard an explosion and I thought my towed item seperated. I looked back and I saw glass everywhere, on me, my dogs, and a hole through the third window on my F-150. I thought it was shot out. To cut throught the crap, it turned out to be a brick. Three little scuzzbags nailed 6 cars over a 15 minute period from a side overpass. They were caught, (and lucky I didn't catch them that night. 3 little animals, 16 and 17, all from upper middle class families.The father, a prominent businessman didn't know his kid was stoned and out at 2:30am doing crime. The same father was upset because his son had to spend an extra night in Juvenile before arraignment because of Memorial Day. None of them worked, but the one father had the guts to say, "My son was thinking about asking neighbors if they need their lawn mowed." The "progressive judge, (they don't call them judges here, that would hurt the poor boys self esteem, they call the judge a referee) their was harsh. They all got 8 days in juvenile, (it was a second offense for one) and they had to reimburse me, (within a year). I was so livid they put 4 Deputies next to me in Court. That's the reality Rich, look around you and you'll see we're doing it to ourselves. The Mexicans are teaching their kids a work ethic, and we are not on the whole! (I made my son work through high school and college, and he graduated last year. I helped him when he needed it, but I'm pretty sure he learned something!) Sorry about the long post.