LAPTOP USERS

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Curious - How many Laptop users do we have? What brand and why did you choose it? Price? Name?

Also, do you use it on the road?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One user here.

HP Pavilion ZV6000 (I had to look)

Cost $800 - 50% off the retail price plus got a free printer (still in the box) when ordered through HP store.

I bought this from HP because;

Gateway did not have the options I wanted.

Dell would not allow me to lease a laptop but I could get a new blade server or a rack mount server if I wanted - a little hard to put any of those on my lap so I passed on the offer.

I wanted to get a panisonic tough book but I could not afford the $6000 so I have on occasion treated this like a tough book and dropped it.

Since I am too lazy to get a new monitor for the home computer (just threw out all the extras I had the week before the Gateway monitor died), I use this for everything.

Overall I am happy with it. I have two problems that I really hate - the AC adapter (exclusive 18 volt smart adapter) and I am wearing out the keyboard and touch pad - you can tell in some of my post missing letters.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I currently have a Sony VIO SZ series think it was some thing like 1,700 or some thing like that but got it as a Best Buy lemon replacement to a big 17†monitor Toshiba that was replaced 3 times then the 3rd one sent to factory 4 times and still had same problems as the 1st one USB ports going bad then power supply melting down the whole PC. The VIO has a 13†diagonal screen small compared to the Toshiba it replaced but it sits nicely on the dash teamed with the GPS and streets and trips gets me where I’m going and lots lighter and battery life is great when sitting in a shop waiting room can serf the net thanks to my air card. Has 1gig mem, 120gb hd, new centrino duo chip 2.4 gh none shaird 128k nivida video, has a built in air card disabled because its cingular I just finished the 30 day trial didn’t perform as good as my Verizon does no service out side big cities and slower when in big cities. But would be good for some one that didn’t already have an air card I suppose. So far am happy with it very happy even. Excellent choice for all around can watch DVD’s play video games serf the web do paperwork. But spendy most likely wouldn’t of bought it now if wasn’t a replacement for the other over priced boat anchor I thought I had to have.

Also own the Toshiba from Wal-Mart I picked up because of price and what it had in it for the price to have while the other Toshiba was in shop. Its a m 45 came with a 15†screen, 1.8 centrino chip, gig of ram, 60 gig hd, dvd/dvd rewrite, for I think $850 at the time but last time saw one was $650 now. Didn’t have power supply go bad but the USB ports are still no good. Needs to be fixed!

Owned a Acer travel mate 190 before that for the cost are very good notebooks I would recommend them over any other they stand up to the harsh environment of a truck better than most had it for 3 years and most likely would still be using it but I was negligent one day and left a tub full of DVD’s sitting on a shelf and the notebook sitting on the floor in sleeper where I could reach it from the front was suppose to grab it before taking off but oops monitor is $600 bucks and that’s what I paid for the notebook so guess it will make some one a ok desktop. It was top of the line when it came out 1.5 gh 512k ram, 40gb hd, 15†screen, dvd/dvd write able. Am told that Acer makes a similar model now for around $600 with a 2.4 gh and lots of goodies.

Boy that was wended wasn’t it? Sorry didn’t mean to write a book but in between military and driving truck computer support was what I did for a living. Although been around trucking all my life as that’s what my dad and his dad before him done my great grandfather was a ships captain and sailing master. Ok now not only a book but a autobiography sorta!

Alvin
Still in upstate NY leaves are turned and weather is nice but not very profitable at all :(

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Compaq Presario 2500. 2.6 Pentium 4, 512 megs of RAM, 60 GIG hard drive. Around $1400(?). My first laptop was a Compaq and was pleased enough to stick with it. The only problem has been the modem failing. This required the mother board to be replaced. Extended service pays off! I definately use it on the road.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have a Compaq Presario, too, damifino what model number, though. I bought it for around $800, last summer, & I definitely use it on the road - am using it now, parked at McDonald's, for the Wifi. Can watch movies, but even with a 17' screen, don't enjoy it. I always keep it plugged into the inverter while in use, as the standard battery doesn't last more than an hour or two. I am very happy with it, so far. :)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Carol has 2 year old Dell Inspiron laptop.$1000.()No problems)
Don has 1 year old Dell Inspiron 700 $1500.00 (no problems)

Bought Dell`s on recomenditon of two industry guru`s.I.E.Leo Laporte and David Lawrence.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I have an older HP Omnibook 6000, 700MHz, 256Mb, 20Gb hdd, 15" screen. Bought it used as I'm hard on equipment in the truck. It isn't the fastest but it works fine for GPS and doing ppw. I've had it for 4 yrs and it has been quite reliable. I like HP products as I have had low failure rates with them. At the time a 15" screen was hard to come by in a used machine. Came with modem, network port and a floppy drive as well as DVD-ROM drive so has most things I need. Have an external ZIP drive for backups or at home connect to my network and upload files to the server (have a 4 system network in the house).
Next laptop will have DVD-RW drive to make backups and hopefully less noise on the output jack. Other than that I'm waiting for the HP to die.
Rob Fis

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Compaq Presario v2311us if you want the specs on it :+

I added a gig of memory to it though.

Next laptop not sure what to get but it will have an AMD processor.

I'm on it as i speak.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Gateway and a toshiba. Both have performed well. Got the Gateway in Jacksonville and then they closed the store several months later.
One good thing...the Gateway was dropped out of the truck and several years later, it is still working. Even with the large outside scuff marks.
Have Compaq for desk tops.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
HP Pavilion ze5600. It got it beacuse it was cheap, $200 used. It was ordered by my family's corporation for a sales rep that got fired before she could even turn it on. It sat 2 years in the original box, before it was dug up and sold to me. A Viruscan update, and it was ready to fly. I've had to put in a hard drive, but it's been good about taking the abuse in the truck.

Without my CoPilot GPS on it, I'd still be searching for my first consignee. I love the dash mount for it even more. And the Aircard, as if i wasn't online enough, now I can surf while Jbird drives...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine's an HP DV5150US that I got at CompUSA with a sale and $300 rebate too. The battery only last about 80-90 minutes so that's annoying. Also, the keys are a little stiff. Sometimes a normal press isn't enough. Other than that it's good and holds up to truck life well enough. I'd also like a Panasonic Toughbook but I think they start at $3k and go up from there. For that much I can replace one of these every couple of years and stay ahead of both the money and technology curves.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Totally offtopic here, but DieselPhreak, please reassure us: your codriver's nickname isn't short for "jailbird", right? :+

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Two HP Pavilion zv6000's networked with cross over cable for internet use with one Sprint wireless card.

Paid about $800 each. Both bought after Christmas at Walmart on clearance.

Along with internet use, we use them for GPS and bookkeeping.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Wow. We have some very nice machines out there.

Here is mine...an Old but a goodie....(LOL)

http://uk.gizmodo.com/vintage pc junk2.jpg

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
That resembles my first computer but it was a radio shack oh crap I think TSL 90 or some thing like that the cassette deck was a add-on though on mine when it first came out we was all ecstatic!

Brings back memories

Alvin

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Now THAT is funny, and brings back so many memories..LOL.. my kids and I were just talking about those ol Commodores yesterday. They thought it was hilarious that I remembered when my school UPGRADED from the Commodore 20, to the 64. My class was the first ones to get the new, powerful computer! A whopping 64K of memory! WOW!

The kids found it even more funny when I spoke of the fun of saving/loading programs with standard cassette tape!

And they talk about how their 'old' Pentium 3 Dell is SSSOOOOO SLLLOOOWWWWWWW.......

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"If you don't have the time to do something right,
where are you going to find the time to fix it?"

-Stephen King

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Bad thing is I think I still have a Tandy packed away some place ….. but it still worked why throw it away? LOL

Alvin

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
My first "portable" computer was a timex sinclair. Had a 1kb? ram memory and hooked up to the tv. Cassette deck file storage. Bought the 16kb add on for it WOW I was happening. LOL

Now days I have 2 Acer Laptops. Wife & I split up team last month.

Older one (1&1/2 Years) is an aspire 5002 WLCi
AMD Turion 64 ML-30
15.4 screen
60gb hdd
512mb Ram
Built in Wireless Card/ Modem/ Ethernet connections.
Bought At Staples here in Canada CDN $1000

Newer one (one month) is a travelmate
Intel Centrino Mobile 750A
14.0 screen
80gb hdd
1gb Ram
Built in Wireless Card/ Modem/ Ethernet connections.
Bought At Staples here in Canada CDN $750

Only complaint is the case is not the toughest on the aspire.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 1.5 years.

Akoya-Ex (Best Buy brand} I have had this computer for over a year now and no problems.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Wow, that brings back memories. Many years ago I did some programming on a PET system similar to that one that had a light pen.

One could point the pen at different locations on the screen to select items, such as a menu option. It all had to be programmed from scratch.

A mining company was considering installing these out in the plant in protective boxes and using the light pen only as input. The project died when management discovered the extreme limitations of those systems.

Loading programs via cassette tape would have lasted perhaps one week or less before the dust and heat would cause it go to belly up.