Keeping an open eye on the road!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A thermos full of coffee, cigs, or lolli-pops and I am good for the night.

One thing for sure like the others, you better trust who your with, or you never will get any restful sleep.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I had to laugh at....
"Even when I slow down the truck at weigh stations the curtain will rip open with my huband poking his head through to see what's the matter! Drives me crazy!"

Mine used to do that all the time, with the same results from me!:7

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
bryan excellent idea, that is what I did with my straight truck before I sold it, had a team-mate who smoked way too much, like 4 packs a day and even though I smoke one pak a day, I wouldn't get any sleep smelling the smoke. So...I took out the curtain, built a frame up against the cabinets with a swing in door and it worked out great for smoke, noise etc...also a much better sense of privacy. I used 1/2 inch plywood and even cut a porthole window and covered it with plexi glass. Used a piano hinge for the door and a screen door handle, it rattled a little but fixed that by using tape.....I even stained it to match my oak cabinets, and put molding around for a half-way professional job...Did it in an m2 freightliner.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the mental attitude thing. Recently I turned down several 1000 mile plus straight through loads. Most of these were offered late in the day. Two of these I refused and was offered a "swap". To me a swap means I'll give you my freight and you give me yours. Sorta like being a kid, I'll show you mine if..... Any way with this swap deal they won't tell me where or when this "swap" occurs. Will I drive 1000 miles of a 1200 mile and swap? Or will it be 750 miles. I like to know in advance how far and when I deliver. I need to be mentally prepared for my trip. That way I know if I get tired, exactly how long I can stop for.

Why is it that the 800 mile plus runs always have two lane, road construction, and detours for the last 300 miles. Never the first the 300 when you are still fresh and rested.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
That is because our whole life we have told our body that we sleep at night and now with this life style we sleep when the load lets us and our body clock says hey your suppose to be getting up, well then since your up go to sleep. I have always aloted time for a two hour nap if it is my shift to drive through at dawn.

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG:)