June idle chit chat and banter and freight hauling

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trade shows are not what they use to be, where someone attending would actually get hands on experience or demonstrations. They have now turned into a Vendor O-rama. Where the vendors sole purpose is to take your money.
Kinda like the safety class held by carriers. When have you ever attended one that taught you some safety tips that deal with you, your truck or everyday experience in the trucking industry and not their paperwork? The only items covered in a safety meeting will be something that may get the carrier off the hook in a court of law.. Never once have I heard a meeting that dealt with driver health and well being while on the job.

This was just a thought I had yesterday....
I probably posted this in the wrong thread. I'm gonna continue this conversation on the Expedite Expo thread on the general forum. I hope it doesn't come off that I'm bashing the Expo ... just thinking out loud ...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh you're on the watch list!

I suppose ...

I wonder if it's what I said, or how I said it? Are we only able to talk about the Expo in glowing, salesman like language or are we able to critically look at what's going on?

We'll see ....

Last edited by a moderator:

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In Laredo now after a delivery this morning in Brownsville...let's see how long I'm here this time. Still can't get back to Midwest or home.

Reactions: NorthernBill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I suppose ...

I wonder if it's what I said, or how I said it? Are we only able to talk about the Expo in glowing, salesman like language or are we able to critically look at what's going on?

We'll see ....
I can't say for sure, since I didn't moderate your posts, but I would guess it's what you said, and the fact that your negative criticism of the Expo and of expediting of general came in a thread that was designed to positively promote the Expo. They characterized expediting as a whole from the vantage point of the driver's seat of a cargo van, which is hardly representative of the industry at large.

But even more to the point, let's get real here. Would you allow someone to make up, say, vinyl lettering, or magnetic signs, or bumper stickers, that contains negative comments about you, and place them prominently on your van? I'm guessing probably not. I mean, of course not. You're not going to allow people to use your own vehicle to trash you out and discourage others from using your services. By the same token, EO won't allow it, either. I can't imagine that's even the tiniest bit difficult to understand.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't say for sure, since I didn't moderate your posts, but I would guess it's what you said, and the fact that your negative criticism of the Expo and of expediting of general came in a thread that was designed to positively promote the Expo. They characterized expediting as a whole from the vantage point of the driver's seat of a cargo van, which is hardly representative of the industry at large.

But even more to the point, let's get real here. Would you allow someone to make up, say, vinyl lettering, or magnetic signs, or bumper stickers, that contains negative comments about you, and place them prominently on your van? I'm guessing probably not. I mean, of course not. You're not going to allow people to use your own vehicle to trash you out and discourage others from using your services. By the same token, EO won't allow it, either. I can't imagine that's even the tiniest bit difficult to understand.

No, it's not difficult to understand at all. To be honest, when I come onto this site I don't think of it as being a privately owned site. Obviously my error. I understand the codes of conduct, but didn't think questioning certain aspects of the site or the Expo were off limits. Again my error. It certainly puts some things into focus.

As for my windshield view ... I've often seen this referred to as a simpleton or narrow view of the industry & of the world. I'm not going to debate how narrow, broad, obtuse or all-seeing the perspective of any given van driver is. That's my view, the view of many on this site & I think it has value. I wouldn't attempt to characterize expediting as a whole ... I think that's reaching a bit.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Photo shows 4 fully manned lift trucks, 1 guy in a scooter, 2 guys near the railing, yet after nearly 3 hours of sitting on the dock I get turned away because they don't have anyone working. UAW at its finest. Told to be back by 6am but log book won't let me even think about moving the truck until 9am. To bad you don't let trucks sleep on the property, Sure hope your not in a hurry for your freight.

Attachments

• 1466133109879.jpg
    1466133109879.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 35

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, it's not difficult to understand at all. To be honest, when I come onto this site I don't think of it as being a privately owned site. Obviously my error. I understand the codes of conduct, but didn't think questioning certain aspects of the site or the Expo were off limits. Again my error. It certainly puts some things into focus.
I think it's an understandable error, which is why I addressed it here. I realize you weren't attempting to characterize expediting as a whole, but in the context of your questions, that's how it appeared. The questions you asked, and the answers to those questions, applied mainly to cargo van expediting, not to straight and tractors. It's bad enough that 99% of the "Is everybody else as slow as me?" threads are cargo van related, but they give the impression that expediting as a whole is in the toilet, when it's really not. Some of the questions you asked were good ones, with respect to cargo vans, but they don't really belong in a thread that is promoting the industry and the Expo.

For example, "Is the expediting market over saturated with owner/ops?" Well, no, not really. The van segment sure is, but the expediting market as a whole certainly isn't. "What percentage of people coming in are actually surviving past 3 mo, 6 mo, 1yr & beyond?" Well, for cargo vans, it's a really small percentage. For straight trucks it's a very high percentage. "Are newbies getting a real picture of the market?" Newp. Not vanners, anyway. If they did get a real picture of the market, they wouldn't be told by carrier after carrier that they aren't taking on any new cargo vans because they can't keep the ones they have loaded, and then decide to go ahead and enter the market anyway as an independent using multiple brokers.

Reactions: RoadTime

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I'd better update since Murray is already posting "Kudos" for loads I haven't posted about...

Thursday Morning "booked" Olive Branch MS to Indianapolis IN... Delivered this evening at 8:15 pm... 2 hours later "booked" Indianapolis IN to Norcross GA... No rest for the wicked...:D

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it's an understandable error, which is why I addressed it here. I realize you weren't attempting to characterize expediting as a whole, but in the context of your questions, that's how it appeared. The questions you asked, and the answers to those questions, applied mainly to cargo van expediting, not to straight and tractors. It's bad enough that 99% of the "Is everybody else as slow as me?" threads are cargo van related, but they give the impression that expediting as a whole is in the toilet, when it's really not. Some of the questions you asked were good ones, with respect to cargo vans, but they don't really belong in a thread that is promoting the industry and the Expo.

For example, "Is the expediting market over saturated with owner/ops?" Well, no, not really. The van segment sure is, but the expediting market as a whole certainly isn't. "What percentage of people coming in are actually surviving past 3 mo, 6 mo, 1yr & beyond?" Well, for cargo vans, it's a really small percentage. For straight trucks it's a very high percentage. "Are newbies getting a real picture of the market?" Newp. Not vanners, anyway. If they did get a real picture of the market, they wouldn't be told by carrier after carrier that they aren't taking on any new cargo vans because they can't keep the ones they have loaded, and then decide to go ahead and enter the market anyway as an independent using multiple brokers.

Oh geez ....
OK, it's rather late & I'm not going to beat this drum endlessly...

I respectfully disagree that the questions I asked are mainly applied to cargo vans, especially #2 & #3. When someone asks questions & rather than answering the questions you attempt to analyze why the person is asking them ... aren't you focusing on the person rather than the questions?

I greatly appreciate you answering them & I'd like to hear what others have to say on this topic.
Am I a complete loon to ask these questions? Don't be bashful ...
Do they have any relevance or value?
Are they CV specific?

btw .... didn't you just post my blocked questions? :p

Again, I understand they were poorly placed. Poor judgement on my part.

Somewhere in ME .. to somewhere in CO .. delivery on Mon ;)

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, almost forgot .. .95 per mi
Imo, what's the point of posting loads & miles without the rate?
Seriously ..

Reactions: Ftransit

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh geez ....
OK, it's rather late & I'm not going to beat this drum endlessly...
Forgive me for trying to address your questions instead of just remaining silent and leaving you in the dark as to why your posts were moderated.

I respectfully disagree that the questions I asked are mainly applied to cargo vans, especially #2 & #3. When someone asks questions & rather than answering the questions you attempt to analyze why the person is asking them ... aren't you focusing on the person rather than the questions?
I didn't analyze a thing about who asked the questions. I don't know a thing about you. I can only go by what is posted, and I directly addressed those questions without any analysis or judgement. And the questions posed are questions that can only come from either someone who doesn't know this business very well, or from a cargo van driver who isn't familiar with expediting beyond that of a cargo van. They are not questions that typically come from someone who drives a big truck.

The fact is, people who read EO get the distinct impression that expediting is in the toilet right now. We get that very feedback from people on a daily basis, as do recruiters at carriers. And we see it in the posts from new people to the site who are asking about the state of expediting health and its viability. And it's because the vast majority of the negative posts on EO on the issue come from vanners. The reality is that expediting is quite healthy, it's just that van expedite is in the toilet, and anyone looking to get into expediting today in a van is either deluded or butt stoopid, or both. So when you talk of saturation and success rates and getting clear pictures, you need to be clear as to whether you are talking about vanning in expediting or of expediting as a whole. That's not an analysis of the poster, that's just the reality of the industry.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Oh, almost forgot .. .95 per mi
Imo, what's the point of posting loads & miles without the rate?
Seriously ..
I forget the topic or what thread it was in but a short time ago someone asked this very question. I told em to start a thread concerning this very topic. I have no issue posting what I make and posting amount of miles it took to obtain that cash.
If vans are taking in .95 all in your doing better then me in most cases. Ya see I don't chase freight, meaning I don't relocate in hopes of getting a load out of another area. I relocate to the house and start over. I'm not moving from parking lot to parking lot and burning log book pages. (Yeah I may move over a city but I don't put miles behind me like some of others do. And yeah that figures into the rate when you chase it like some do)
As a straight I can honestly say we have gone backwards and have the pages that show that. I can propely even say at times I am running at or below van rates by the time all miles are figured in. Everything has changed from wait time, wrong addresses, deadhead pay etc etc. has changed this past year. Wait time use to be 1 or 2 hours, is now 3 or not at all with this customer. Wrong address use to pay $25 plus miles, now pays $15. Deadhead has increased to nearly 50% on a regular basis it seems. Weekend pay is nearly non existent. Weekend work is nearly non existent. Premium pay for air freight is non existent for the most part.
Its become impossible or nearly impossible to recover from bad weeks anymore.
I like this job but I'm not going to make it look all rosey with peaches and cream when its not anymore. I'm not here to make friends with people on EO, dispatchers, carriers or other drivers. Along the route I have and I am grateful for the ones I have met but not why I am here.
Soooo create that thread, rates are no secret. They maybe different from carrier to carrier or from driver to driver and I'll post em any day of the week as long as the thread is active.