June idle chit chat and banter and freight hauling

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This was just a thought I had yesterday....
I probably posted this in the wrong thread. I'm gonna continue this conversation on the Expedite Expo thread on the general forum. I hope it doesn't come off that I'm bashing the Expo ... just thinking out loud ...
But I do agree with your first thoughts.....just how stupid is it to keep recruiting in an over swamped industry?....the very same people that claim that very over capacity is part of the problem yet they continue on their so called knowledgable ways....they should get their respective noses out of them spreadsheets and get a dose of reality...IMO
and what is a carriers FIRST response to any financial situation? They cut OUR rates it seems again...IMO

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Catfish for supper...lightly breaded with cornmeal and fried up in the cast iron pan which will be heated before I add any oil. Think I'll season it with lemon pepper prior to breading. Am I going to do it right? :D

Yummy, What time is supper

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who is actively recruiting cargo vans?
Which carriers do you know who can dictate rates to the customer?
Which ones are having recruiting booths?...Also applies to straight trucks being an over capacity.

Ones with direct customers....They are giving us away in the name of competition.....I remember the day when there was a surcharge for team rate..... hazmat credentials...sprinter rates.....ALL gone....Carriers did not stand up for us...they gave in collectively to market forces...now we've been stripped naked with nothing left to give...

which carriers tried to hold the line ?

which carriers recruit vs using the present over capacity?....

oh wait...they are not recruiting NEW units....only replacing the ones that have left the business or gone else where......semantics....IMO

Reactions: fastman_1

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Catfish for supper...lightly breaded with cornmeal and fried up in the cast iron pan which will be heated before I add any oil. Think I'll season it with lemon pepper prior to breading. Am I going to do it right? :D
There are a million ways to do it right. And nearly all of them involve cornmeal. :D

Use fine, white cornmeal if you can find it. Sadly, fine white cornmeal is not always easy to find outside the South. In the absence of fine, white cornmeal, use the regular stuff with a little flour. Unless it is finely ground, a 100% all-cornmeal crust can taste gritty. Some like that (I do) but most don't. 3/4 cup of cornmeal and 1/2 cup of flour will do it.

I would recommend soaking the catfish in buttermilk (but regular milk will do) for 10 minutes before breading them. 1 cup will do 4-6 fillets.

Season the breading any way you like. Old Bay crab boil is popular. If you really want that lemon pepper thing going on, I'd put lemon pepper seasoning right on the fillets immediately before breading them to ensure a bold lemon pepper flavor. I prefer to squeeze the juice of a lemon right into the buttermilk and soak 'em in it.

Most of the time I don't use lemon, and just season the breading with a healthy dose of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (equal parts), plus a half tablespoon of cayenne pepper. I also often add a dash (1/4 teaspoon or so) of celery seed.

You want to cook it in 1/2 inch of oil (peanut oil, or even better, lard) and make sure the oil is every bit of 350 degrees. Colder than that and the fish will be soggy.

Same getup works with any thin fillet, like bass, perch, crappie, walleye, etc.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Who is actively recruiting cargo vans?
Which carriers do you know who can dictate rates to the customer?
Ya know, a few maybe saying no cargo Vans but I thinking most will do the paperwork and orientation on the sprinter type vans. If they use them to the fullest is another story.. I have heard of carriers saying no to cargo vans but sprinter types, not so much. L1 maybe but from what I understand the fleet is full and will add only as some drag up, and go elsewhere but that's only a rumor I hear.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about that... 5 years/100,000 miles warranty. I presume it has a diesel engine, so a gas engine will lower the price. Speaking about the shown price (which comes to $28,520), it includes the VAT (sales taxes). Too bad they still don't want to bring it to the States...
nissan nv400.jpg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about that... 5 years/100,000 miles warranty. I presume it has a diesel engine, so a gas engine will lower the price. Speaking about the shown price (which comes to $28,520), it includes the VAT (sales taxes). Too bad they still don't want to bring it to the States...
View attachment 14103
Thought they were bringing it...always keep my eyes open for the next van, but so far the only thing I see to replace the 2005 sprinter is a 2014 4 cyl...canadians need to deadhead cheap, I'm averaging 22 mpg mostly at 70 mph...

Reactions: Opel2010