June idle chit chat and banter and freight hauling

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm glad I stopped everything to battle the ants. I found where they were nesting literally hundreds of ants there I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Round one to driver, hoping any survivors will retreat
I got infested once after being parked in Alabama for 3 days in the same spot. Turns out the right front tire was parked inches from the nest entrance. But it wasn't really that bad, and it was just regular ol' ants like you're see in Michigan in your kitchen when they smell candy on the counter.

I noticed a few scouts before I pulled up stakes and left, but it was really the next day after leaving when they got serious, because they had nowhere else to go. I kept seeing them on the desk (where the passenger seat used to be). Upon closer inspection I found their marching column from the door footwell up the side of the desk to the top where they were desperately trying to get up the side of my drink mug and go for a swim. I sprayed a little and didn't see any more of them after 2 days.

Reactions: NorthernBill

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I'm glad I stopped everything to battle the ants. I found where they were nesting literally hundreds of ants there I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Round one to driver, hoping any survivors will retreat
Had an ant invasion a week or so ago...got ant traps, they were gone in 36 hours

guido4475

Not a Member
Woke up to find my first ant invasion in my van. Nice way to start the day
When down south, I usually spray the perimeter of the tires, ground along the tires, and along the sidewalls and tread of the tires close to the ground with ant and roach killer. Works good so far. And don't let a tree branch touch the roof, as they have been known to come in from upstairs as well.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loaded yesterday afternoon in Newport, TN for El Paso. At the J east of town with about 10 other vans. Looks like our Alternater lasted 360 thou, check Batt. light is on. Will drop in the morning and hope for something good. Worst case we drive out on the Aux. battery's.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thought I saw an xpo sprinter going west on 10 today, not too far from El Paso...I fueled at the east side J earlier (I'm in a promaster)...omw to Dallas.. stopped for expediter nap just short of Abilene.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thought I saw an xpo sprinter going west on 10 today, not too far from El Paso...I fueled at the east side J earlier (I'm in a promaster)...omw to Dallas.. stopped for expediter nap just short of Abilene.
Your back across the Rockies. How many miles did you rack up out west?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have an AC unit.....in dry hot weather the ants and other creatures are attracted to the water...just be aware of your surroundings...
we used to use a generator on the ground and ran the cord thru the door....the little buggers ran right up the cord for access....learned to pick up the cord and loop it over mirror and spray the cord with Guido's method.

Backed into some shrubbery once at the Pilot in W. Memphis the one on the north side....ants came in thru back door and marched all the way to the front by the time I awoke from nap....

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Your back across the Rockies. How many miles did you rack up out west?
I probably averaged 2300 or so loaded miles per week...have not been east of Dallas in 5 weeks, but it seemed to be dropping off out there plus I had enough of CA to last me a bit.

Been in Dallas area 20 mins and have a DFW to Brownsville, TX. picking up tonight.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expedite Expo - What's in it for me?
I imagine a whole new flock of newbies to put even more downward pressure on rates.
Am I the only one that feels this way?
Pretty much sums it up, unless your looking for a new truck, carrier or the latest gadget. I quit going a few years ago after I heard all the great things expediting can do for you.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediter tricycle.....
freightmate.jpg

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Expedite Expo - What's in it for me?
I imagine a whole new flock of newbies to put even more downward pressure on rates.
Am I the only one that feels this way?
Trade shows are not what they use to be, where someone attending would actually get hands on experience or demonstrations. They have now turned into a Vendor O-rama. Where the vendors sole purpose is to take your money.
Kinda like the safety class held by carriers. When have you ever attended one that taught you some safety tips that deal with you, your truck or everyday experience in the trucking industry and not their paperwork? The only items covered in a safety meeting will be something that may get the carrier off the hook in a court of law.. Never once have I heard a meeting that dealt with driver health and well being while on the job.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN