June idle chit chat and banter and freight hauling

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After doing a short (and I DO MEAN short) run of 18 miles for $250, I will be on a paid relocation from Ontario, CA to Dallas, TX. Looks like I just may make it back east...almost 5 weeks since I left Chicago for Folsom, CA. (May 10)

Good for ya. I left my spot for you in Memphis. I'm working my way back to reclaim the Ontario spot.

Reactions: RoadTime

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine is probably 40 years old... Love it!

I gave my son one that was my Moms. She got it from her Mother that she got as a wedding gift. I'm sure it is a 100 years old or more. I have three, one 8",10",and a deep fryer for all things fried. I use the 8" for cornbread and other goodys. I also have a 8" griddle for pancakes, cast iron muffin and a corn cornbread stick doohickey. All old from family members who are gone now.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I gave my son one that was my Moms. She got it from her Mother that she got as a wedding gift. I'm sure it is a 100 years old or more. I have three, one 8",10",and a deep fryer for all things fried. I use the 8" for cornbread and other goodys. I also have a 8" griddle for pancakes, cast iron muffin and a corn cornbread stick doohickey. All old from family members who are gone now.
I do love a savory cornbread with leeks, bacon and jalapeño baked in my smaller fry pan!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got a really, really lot of cast iron cookware. It's borderline ridiculous. I've got 3 skillets (8", 10" 12") and two large pots (5 qt and 8 qt, that you'd hang above the fireplace or set into the coals) that I got from my grandmother, who got them from her mother. They're all at least 100 years old. Two of the skillets are Griswold, and the rest is from The Blacklock Foundry (which is what Lodge Manufacturing was named from its inception in 1896 until 1910, when the foundry burned down and a few months later they reopened as Lodge). All of those really old ones are exceptionally smooth. I've also got virtually the entire Lodge cast iron catalog of with the exception of a few of the specialty items and camping items. Only a couple of pieces of the Lodge stuff is the preseasoned Lodge Logic iron.

At their South Pittsburg, TN factory store, which is next to the factory, they used to have a back room full of factory seconds, while out front was basically the retail pretty stuff sold at full price. That was back in the early 90s when they were changing over to a new manufacturing process, and it resulted in a lot of factory seconds with blemishes and other cosmetic defects. I don't know if they still have that back in there or not, but if they do you can get some killer deals. All unseasoned, and slight cosmetic defects, but they had $20 retail skillets for $2, pocket change. I remember the 17" skillet that retailed for $50 I paid $5 for (same skillet is $70 now). Everything was basically 10% of the retail price.

The older cast iron is thinner and smoother than the new cast iron, which is quite a bit thicker and has the pebbling from the sand casting process. I also have several (5) high carbon steel pans, which are basically the same as cast iron, only thinner and lighter still than the old cast iron. You treat them the same, season them the same, it's just that because they are thinner, they are even worse at evenly heating than is heavy cast iron. The high carbon steel pans, because they're stamped out of rolled steel, are going to be smoother from the start than old cast iron or new iron that's been honed smooth. High carbon is best for high heat, stir fry. Woks are made from high carbon steel. It's also good for searing meats and then finishing them off in the oven. High carbon steel pans have sloped sides while cast iron pans have vertical sides, making carbon steel pans better for sautéing. High carbon pans are mostly found in restaurants, though they are finding their way into home kitchens. I got hooked on them when I first started cooking in a French kitchen.

There's no real reason to hone (sand, grind, whatever) new cast iron pans, by the way, unless you just like it that way. If properly seasoned, and most importantly, properly pre-heated before adding food, new, old or carbon steel will all be about the same insofar as non-stickiness goes. A plain ol' stainless steel pan is as smooth as smooth can get, but if you start cooking in it before the pan is fully up to the cooking temperature, the food is gonna stick. That's probably the biggest mistake people make with a frying pan - failing to let it get fully hot before cooking. With a cast iron skillet, that means about 10 minutes on the burner before you add any oil or food to the pan.

People think cast iron heats evenly. It doesn't. Directly over the burners it might be very hot, say 450 degrees, while an inch or two away it might be 200 degrees or more cooler. But once it's fully heated it will retain the heat very well. Just remember, "hot pan, cold oil." Never put the oil into a pan and then heat them up together. Just like at Waffle House or any other restaurant, heat the cooking surface to temperature, then add the oil and food to it.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm glad I stopped everything to battle the ants. I found where they were nesting literally hundreds of ants there I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Round one to driver, hoping any survivors will retreat

Reactions: NorthernBill