June idle chit chat and banter and freight hauling

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
taking passenger seat right out today but leaving the base, need to find a way to secure portable A/C more permanently so I don't have to assemble it to run every time I layover....

Something like this should work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 35

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Something like this should work.

Why not just drop the 1k and get a roof top mounted a/c unit with a plug on the side of the van. Then have your generator installed under where the spare tire is supposed to go and hooked directly into the fuel tank. You just flip a switch inside the cab and power and a/c automatically come on. I would also have this all tied into a deep cycle battery deal as well. I knew a driver with diabetes who had this set up because you have to stay cool when you have diabetes. He didn't want to hassle with moving stuff around every time he parked. That is how I would do it if I ever came back out onto the road.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not just drop the 1k and get a roof top mounted a/c unit with a plug on the side of the van. Then have your generator installed under where the spare tire is supposed to go and hooked directly into the fuel tank. You just flip a switch inside the cab and power and a/c automatically come on. I would also have this all tied into a deep cycle battery deal as well. I knew a driver with diabetes who had this set up because you have to stay cool when you have diabetes. He didn't want to hassle with moving stuff around every time he parked. That is how I would do it if I ever came back out onto the road.

They make a kit to hang an Onan underneath a Sprinter. Lots of Sprinter RV's have them. But a 2,800 watt Onan is $2,600 plus the mounts and installation. But, push the button, wait 60 seconds and power up your rooftop AC. And they use the house battery for starting.

Reactions: hazmat

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Because this works perfectly fine for me. Only thing I have to do is take my generator out and turn it on and plug and play. Takes me a total of 60 seconds if not less.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But a 2,800 watt Onan is $2,600 plus the mounts and installation.
Not to mention having to crawl under the van to change the oil every 100 hours. It's a PITA to do, something you will want to stretch out to 200 or 300 hours, and it's the one thing you cannot stretch out.

RVers change the oil every 100 hours or one a year, whichever comes first. It's usually the once a year thing.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to mention having to crawl under the van to change the oil every 100 hours. It's a PITA to do, something you will want to stretch out to 200 or 300 hours, and it's the one thing you cannot stretch out.

RVers change the oil every 100 hours or one a year, whichever comes first. It's usually the once a year thing.

I worked a deal with my local oil change shop. For $10 they'll drain and install the oil I supply. But they'll only do it on Sunday mornings before they get busy. I've had mine for over a year now, it only has 255 hours on it. I've had it changed twice. The 2,800 has no oil filter, drain from the lower plug, replace plug, and 6/10 of a quart of Onan Oil. Front cover just has 2 twist clips to access the air filter, dip stick and oil fill. Even if you did it yourself, it's a 20 minute job tops and a half quart of drain oil to dispose of. It's worth the minor things to be able to wake up at 09:00 when it starts getting hot outside, reach over and push the start button, flip the AC switch and go back to sleep. Don't even need to put your clothes back on for that! LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last summer out here not spending the money...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And Onan told me if I use a full synthetic, I could go 150 hours.
At 250 hours a year, then having to crawl under the van to do it isn't that big a deal. I would be running it a lot more than that. I'd run it in the summer for an air conditioner and to keep the house bank charged, and in the winter to keep the house batteries charged up. I'd probably average 150 hours a month.

Reactions: blizzard2014

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
In Milwaukee at the Marcus amphitheater load out is done so time for some sleep. Tonight after load out me and my fellow drivers are heading to....I forgot but it's somewhere west