Its a team world at Panther

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
As I move around the boards (slowly), there are more and more teams on the boards. I am on the Charlotte board, have been since Friday night. Today there was 14 trucks on the board. 10 teams and 4 solos, 1 of the solos was 1st out. Now there is 1 team and 3 solos left. All that came in behind me are gone. It's time for the solos to STRIKE Panther. It certainly is getting close for me to move on. The writing is on the wall so to speak.:mad:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you have to get a load covered, and you have the choice of getting it covered with a team truck who can run the load straight through, or a solo who can't, which are you gonna pick?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Teams have always been the priority since the HOS changed.
Who is closest to the freight is more important than board postion or anything like that. In fact, I wouldn't even pay any attention to it.
Then again, it may be because they think you can't make the pickup in time with a Hino?
Couldn't resist. Just kidding.:D

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
Well i just ran solo for the last 2 weeks and i would have to say ohio and surrounding states i hardly saw any teams on the board. I was wondering where they all went. Guess down south.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, preloads, or the fact that team trucks don't sit for long.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very little. And if it is any length of time it is because they fried up all their hours and are trying to reset.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Teams have always been the priority since the HOS changed.
Who is closest to the freight is more important than board postion or anything like that. In fact, I wouldn't even pay any attention to it.
Then again, it may be because they think you can't make the pickup in time with a Hino?
Couldn't resist. Just kidding.:D

Lol, this truck runs rings around most out there now that I got the for the objectors installed.
I never pay attention to the load boards except to see what's coming and going. I never put any stock in the 1st out stuff. Not all loads are team loads though. It's the pecking order that I have a problem with. Why even bother to bring on solos if your not going to provide enough for them. I like to stay in the NE where there aren't many trucks to compete with. But every time I get up there, they want to get me out of there. For example, from July 19 to July 30, I had a load everyday except on the 25th. On the 30th, the wc goes off, dh from CT to Philly 200 miles, to pick up loads that I might get 300 miles out of before the swap. Yet there was trucks in Philly. And dispatch specifically said they wanted to get out of there. Turned down 2. Not gonna dh 200 miles for a 300 mile run. Then the home run. Pickup in MA on Friday the 30th deliver Atlanta on Monday. Great load and they got me out of the ne. Now I sit for 3 days watching teams come and go.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
When I started in Expediting in 1995 I ran solo and almost lost my truck. Running team is the only way to go. We run only teams in our trucks. I refuse to have a flat rate per mile truck run solo. Not worth starting the truck up on a 102 mile load for $137.30 plus fsc.

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well this must be a straight truck issue because my tractor stays busy enough for me. There are weeks that aren't so great but for the most part i am doing just fine.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are to many reasons to list but watching teams come in and go out ahead of me is at the top of the list..I have bills to pay just like the teams and after almost 7 years with the cat Friday is my last day.start at a new carrier next week!!!

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
As I move around the boards (slowly), there are more and more teams on the boards. I am on the Charlotte board, have been since Friday night. Today there was 14 trucks on the board. 10 teams and 4 solos, 1 of the solos was 1st out. Now there is 1 team and 3 solos left. All that came in behind me are gone. It's time for the solos to STRIKE Panther. It certainly is getting close for me to move on. The writing is on the wall so to speak.:mad:

Amen

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
The TT's don't have the same population that the ST's and vans do, that's probably one reason why they don't have as much of a problem with solo drivers.

One of the situations that can influence this is what the customer requires. There are going to be some customers that will require teams, there is also the possibility that teams are required because of the P/U and Del arrangements.

I have one LTL customer that semi-routinely ships out of KY and TX (Laredo and Houston) up to Odessa,TX. The customer as of yet has not required teams, but when I've advertised the loads not one expediter has called about them.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Sometimes I think we work for a different company. I've been with Panther for almost 8 years. I drive solo. The boys and girls in dispatch consistently keep me busy. As to tracking my monthly load flow, I've developed a one page form that allows me to monitor how well I am doing. I track miles and revenue. The one thing I have noted is that you seem to get luckier the longer you stay with Panther. As to monitoring hours of service, I am now sitting for 34 hours so I can get my hours back. Dispatch has been working overtime to keep me busy. I am prebooked on a load from Indiana to Massachusetts - solo - 814 loaded miles with a large delivery window. It picks up tomorrow after I get my hours back. Dispatch can and does find loads for teams as well as solos. I would have to say, "It's a solo world at Panther". What's not to like?

armin88

Expert Expediter
I would have to say, "It's a solo world at Panther". What's not to like?

Got that correct,I been with Panther for 6 months 4 of them as a solo,as a solo I was doing pretty good then my fleet owner decided she wanted make it a team truck and I was fine with that as long I got to pick a teammate.Well after I started teaming man things when down hill real fast,we rarely got team loads offers mostly all offers over QC where solo runs,DH extended and I sat more then we moved!I was on 60% contract and when I was solo my pay was very good,when I started teaming,boy my pay was half of what I made as a solo!So yea it can be a solo world at Panther I agree.