IT IS JUST ABOUT ME FROM HERE ON IN

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Well, since I WAS THE ONE ACCUSED BY THIS SITE as the one that threw the first personal attack on someone, since I refuse to give up and continue to fight for what I believe in, they have locked the discusstion thread on the unions - I GUESS YOU GUYS WIN by taking away my rights!

CONGRATS!

So from this point on I will worry about myself, take care of myself, ignore everyone else - but follow the line of slow closed minded all knowing do as we say believe what we say veterans of the industry.

WOW - Thank god we had such an open discussion that when the majority says shut up the so-called minority is shoved to the side and locked away from discussion on a subject.

WOW - that seemed really fair!

Oh well, its all about me from now!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the so called discussion was pretty much one sided. Enough said on that but name calling,insulting people does nothing for the individual that creates these situations. Chuck for what it means it was a unanimous vote to lock your thread. However you are welcome to stay involved,post comments,questions and be an active member. Can you do that??

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Let me be direct and to the point. My so-called name calling and insults towards people did not start until I was personally attacked!

CHECK YOUR RECORDS!

It is pointless to discuss this with you or any other moderators as I now understand and have proven that when YOU GUYS decide the conversation is over - it is over.

It does not matter what the so-called vote total was - the discussion and both sides of the issue were still being discused. Weather or not at times it seemed to be repeatitive - it was still being discussed.

This site could be more productive if you would leave these hot topics of discussion open - no matter if someone agrees with you guys or not.

But, as I said - it is your site - you can do as you wish and it is proven here you have the option to close my views to everyone else. And at this point, that is fine.

Either way, however, I will be the most well-behaved mild mannered individual on this site.

I will follow the crowd, follow the norm, and concentrate like everyone else does on what really matters - myself.

I will support on this site the OOIDA (as I have) and by your command no longer discuss any mention of the union.

So, I will go on my way, well behaved, and following the barks and commands of our senior drivers.

BOW WOW BOW WOW!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hey Chuckwagon,
I appreciate your tenacity but you are not selling to a bunch of kids here......
People here are retired college professors, ole truck hands and proven business professionals with a few tards in between (I am going to political correction training soon) the point is.....
We all jumped in by our own volition.
We knew the risks at the outset.
We knew the benefits at the outset.
We put ourselves outhere knowing the facts.
A majority of us know that if we fail the industry fails or at least our little niche of it.
Life finds a way to sustain itself but it doesn't guarantee it will sustain us.
As Doc and Rich pointed out we are contractors not employees meaning we are in a different vacuum all together.
If you are truly that passionate about establishing a union you would be better served by focusing your efforts on truckload and especially the companies that recruit young lads into lease programs that charge $700 a week for the truck payment "only" and avg 85 cents a mile on loads.
I bet that I wouldn't be the only "Raving" Chuckwagon fan then.
You would have a loyal following.
In short it's not about you from here on in, but choose your enemies wisely.
You have a good sell but your knocking on the wrong door.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Chuck, I highly respect your enthusiasm, your passion, your excitement, regardless of how naive it may be. I see nothing wrong with it, or in you expressing it. I do feel that you are trying to mold the independent contractor expediter relationship with the carriers into something more like an employee relationship. That's just not going to happen. I can't make my carrier into what I wish them to be. I have to accept them for what they are. If I cannot accept them for what they are, I'm free to choose another carrier. I can suggest changes to them until I am blue in the face, and they will make no changes whatsoever unless it benefits them in some manner. That's called the free market, and it works. When the day comes where there are many more expedited loads than there are drivers to expedite them, then the drivers will be given more incentives to remain on the job and take those loads. No union or organization will force that to happen any sooner than it will naturally, if ever.

I do think that locking a thread, especially locking one because "I feel this thread has gone on long enough..." is a little silly and is really nothing more than an exercise of power over something that would die a natural death on its own, anyway. (Sorry guys, but that's how I feel about content censorship on a "General" topic forum. If it's gone on long enough, the thread will kill itself on its own. If Chuck's hellbent on continuing to post in the thread, and if others are stoopid enough to keep on posting replies to it, what difference does it make, regardless of how sad and silly it spirals down to become? I quit reading that thread about 8 posts into it, 'cause I knew where it was going, and as far as I was concerned, about 8 posts into it was already long enough. I went back and revisited that thread because of this one, and didn't see anything in there for cause to lock it, actually.)

Now, Chuck, after having said all that, I do have to wonder what rights you have had taken away from you by having that thread locked. Please don't tell me that you think your First Amendment rights of free speech and freedom from censorship have somehow been violated on a privately owned Internet message board. The First Amendment only applies to censorship and muzzling by the government. Private entities can censor you any way they wish, including locking a thread.

(I know that many Liberals think that Free Speech means the freedom to say anything without any repercussions or reprisals from anyone, including people disagreeing with them. Too bad. It's kind of like preaching tolerance, and then having no tolerance for those who have no tolerance. But I digress. :7 )

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Chuck, nobody "closed off" your views to anyone, they're still right where they were, all along, for all to see. Some responses were polite, some less so, but the consensus is that you're barking up the wrong tree with the union idea. If you can't deal with disagreement, then maybe you ought to bury that bone of contention, no?
You definitely need to quit foaming at the mouth, because you're beginning to look kinda rabid to me.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I AM NOT DISCUSSING THE 'U' ISSUE ANYMORE!

I AM NOT DISCUSSING THE CENSORSHIP ANYMORE!

I am only here, from this point on, to express my thoughts, views and my professional input on matters that will not offend or upset anyone.

I ONLY POSTED THIS THREAD TO EXPLAIN THAT MY DISCUSSION ON 'THIS WEBSITE IS NOW OVER - PERIOD!'

I will in the future open my own site to discuss this issue.
If you have any other comments regarding the 'U' then send them to me.

THE END - PERIOD - OVER AND OUT!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Chuck I to have had many threads locked.Dont worry about it you cant change the world overnight.if you meet someone with like views you can always refer them to your thread.its still there they just want people to have to dig for it.

trust me your not the first to think of a union and your not the first to think of it as being censorship.

as far as putting yourself first thats a good idea and i guess thats why we are all independent contrators.what works for one wont ever work for everyone.

not in this industry anyway.start a new thread if you like just leave out attacks on anyone.I understand why you want a union
dealing with companies like you have.dale is a pos no matter how he sugar coats it.and I hope you still post here cause to me its all about information and sharing your thoughts.

good luck to you and I hope you dump that company in the gutter.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>I AM NOT DISCUSSING THE 'U' ISSUE ANYMORE!
>
>I AM NOT DISCUSSING THE CENSORSHIP ANYMORE!
>
>I am only here, from this point on, to express my thoughts,
>views and my professional input on matters that will not
>offend or upset anyone.
>
>I ONLY POSTED THIS THREAD TO EXPLAIN THAT MY DISCUSSION ON
>'THIS WEBSITE IS NOW OVER - PERIOD!'
>
>I will in the future open my own site to discuss this issue.
>If you have any other comments regarding the 'U' then send
>them to me.
>
>THE END - PERIOD - OVER AND OUT!

Sounds like someone could use a hug!
;)

Rex

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
Heck, I think my first two or three threads were locked. KW and I didn't see eye to eye on something and it got ugly. I'm glad they locked that thread now. I sure wasn't at the time, but my cooler head is grateful that the moderators didn't let my hot head continue on that one.

There is always going to be disagreements, its how you handle them that says a lot about your character as a person. If you just want to be right no matter what then you will probably be talking to yourself. If you have some give and take and can listen as well as talk you will be fine and there isn't anything you can't talk about....other than politics and religeon of course, and possibly the U word. lol

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Here's a note which I posted in a similar thread in another forum:

The federal labor laws may have changed since I last looked into this topic.
I'm not current in that area.
However, it's been my understanding that the federal laws -- from the very beginning of the labor movement -- have forbidden owner-operators (and other independent contractors) from taking part in collective bargaining.
If that is still true, then the union question is a moot question for us owner-operators -- independent contractors -- and for our subcontractors.
If anyone has found out that the federal law now allows independent contractors to engage in collective bargaining, please post that for the rest of us.
Best wishes to all,
Doc.
DocRushing

If the federal labor laws still do not allow independent contractors to engage in collective bargaining, then why do we quarrel about unions for independent contractors?
Or, as I asked before, have the laws changed?
Best wishes again,
Doc.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you really want to know o/o cannot belong to a union as in one of tarft hardly laws it is against the law , i was once told and only thing we could do was join ooida is as close as we can get to a union
have never been able to find it that one item to see it in black and white

still looking for item and when i find it out will share it with everybody

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Doc and Geo are correct. That is why I said in another post that OOIDA will not involve itself in a union of any kind.
They are spot on as to the reason.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
If one looks around the net for any period of time at all he can find any number of forums on any number of subjects...the vast majority of which are so filled with unruliness and disorder that it makes you never want to go back. When things start getting stupid here on a particular thread, it seems to get locked and fades away. IMHO its what keeps this forum a cut above and always worth reading the new threads.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK but think for a minute. The NFL Players are all members of a union,but are also free to set their own deals with the clubs that they play for. The Union has set minimum standards for pay,per diem,benefits and other items that the League has agreed to. The players have their own contracts with the club with incentives and have a greviance committe with the Union that they call on when they get suspended for any reason. The club is free to cut them if they don't perform without the rest going on strike. So is this truly a Union or a collective bargining association. Can a NFL player refuse to join the union and still play. Same situation in baseball.

I have a daughter in law who is an actress in Boston. After a certain amount of minor productions she HAD to join the Theaters Guild. This is essentially the same thing,they dicate her minimum pay,she can earn more but not less. If a actress attempts to circumvent the Guild, the union representing the elcetrians,stagehands,maintenance guys will stike that theater.

But you need to hold an election to organize a union. Based on Chuck's proposal the expediting companies would have to provide the names of all of their contractors who in turn would be asked to vote if they want chuck to represent them. Somehow I don't think the companys would do that unless Chuck was able to force them through the courts . Then the question arises,what if a contractor refuses to have his/her name disclosed to Chuck. Lots of pitfalls for this proposal. Now if I am wrong about this please feel free to correct me.
Many years ago I studied business law in college and this was one of the subjects covered,things may have changed.

Made In Detroit

Seasoned Expediter
From a recent post by Broompilot:

I watched special on the closing of a GM plant in Pontiac, MI the other day. They were talking about the market demands, etc. But the biggest reason for the fallout of GM, and the layoff of workers was the union. They were showing people who's sole job was to mop the floor making close to $40/hour just because they had tenure and a contract.

I still am mystified as to where people get theese hourly wage figures for the UAW. My hourly rate of pay when I left the industry with 10 years of service was exactly $28.14 an hour, and I was a Journeyman Welder not a janitor. Whereas the CEO's salary last year was over $35,000,000.00.

Where do you people get your information from??? If you actually believe anything that you hear form a biased news-media organization, or even worse some film-student making a low-budget documentary about something that they know nothing about, you need to have your head examined.

Chuckwagon, I am with ya even if noone else is. UNION YES!!!