Is trucking a good substitute for divorce?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Have you both visited a marriage counselor?

Sometimes an unbiased mediator is very useful bringing to light issue's that the other partner is unaware of.

moose

Veteran Expediter
i don't know, as mans we are getting a better & better deal as times go's by :
"More than 40% of U.S. households with children relied on the woman as the chief or only source of income". More U.S. women than ever are breadwinners, Pew study finds - Los Angeles Times
"Today, one-third of American children – a total of 15 million – are being raised without a father". LifeSiteNews Mobile | The number of US children living in single-parent homes has nearly doubled in 50 years: Census data
how can we complain?

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
well, i'm going to be pretty hard core here to the op but bull to all of it. just because there is no spark is no reason to get divorced. look at how many good qualities you stated your marriage has versus the one bad, no spark. marriage isn't all spring time blooms and blossoms, sometimes its dropping leaves and cold winters. that's what marriage is, the willingness to accept all aspects and move through life together creating a future. the rest is a cop out. there are only very few good reasons to get divorced.

as far as your children go, being absent from their lives is something you will regret. you can do this but it will take effort and planning. i was on the road with visitation for my son and i was diligent about being home every other weekend for visitation and planned for all the other big moments. same as we do now for things even though the kids are full grown adults. you only get those opportunities once in life same as your children only have one father. i have step children i have been with since they were very small. they love me, call me dad, when they talk about us they refer to us as my parents, my son included, but even though they have always only seen their biological father a half dozen times a year they still love him. "by the way, he lives in the same town as the kids". that's just one of those things. don't be an absent father. i have seen how it affects the children. it is also !!!!!!!! " descriptive words of this nature are not allowed "

the whole thing sounds to me like you just want to bail instead of pushing through one of marriages tougher moments which all of them have. you should really step back and look at all you have and take inventory. you will probably see that you have some pretty irreplaceable items on your list. nobody said this was gonna be easy.

for information, my wife and i of course are both once divorced. we each have children from those previous marriages. she has two, twins, a boy and girl. i have one, a son. been divorced 22 years for me and 24 years for her and we have been married for seventeen years. raised our kids and they are all on their own. so, we do have some knowledge. just think long and hard.

This is certainly something I have considered and thought about.

Yet the more I think about it the question keeps popping up, can I live this way for the next 10, 20, 30 years? The answer is not only NO but I find it hard to even consider living like this one more year much less the rest of my life.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This is certainly something I have considered and thought about.

Yet the more I think about it the question keeps popping up, can I live this way for the next 10, 20, 30 years? The answer is not only NO but I find it hard to even consider living like this one more year much less the rest of my life.

Are you being beaten? Do you fear for your life? Is she an alcoholic or drug addict?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don't mind my asking, Giocrypt, how old are you? Since your posts indicate that you have kids at home, I'm gonna guess mid 40s.

Now I'm sure you're asking what frickin' business it is of mine how old you are. Just this: Both you and your wife are sailing in uncharted waters, i.e., things you might never have thought would happen, are happening. You start losing loved ones, your kids are in different age brackets and fighting with each other and with you, etc. This upside down world and uncertain economy don't help either.
Regardless, what's also happening is that both you and your wife are changing as you get older. Your wife may be approaching menopause, and at this age is looking at herself and wondering WTF happened to her body, her face & hair, etc. And I guarantee you ain't the stud you were @ 22; I sure as hell ain't!

You need to decide how committed you are to your marriage, and how honourable you are to your commitments. Your wife will eventually become comfortable in her own skin again; you gotta decide if you're gonna be there when the clouds part, or whether it'll be someone else walking in the sunshine with her.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering how I lit into you today, your response showed some real maturity. Good deal.

IDK what to say if you guys are that young, in reference to her lack of "spark". Women in their 30's tend to be near the peak of desire; when they head into their 40's, some of them just lose the flame completely. Others, however, keep it burning, like the 45ish Mrs. Robinson from "The Graduate".

I suggest counseling, as opposed to divorce, which I view as a last-ditch solution.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
you all do realize the vow..."till death do us part" was created when a mans life span was age 35?....the longest he'd be married would be maybe 20 years probably less....not the 50 plus as now...just saying

If I were Catholic, I'd nominate your wife for sainthood - and not just because I think there ought to be a saint named Jujubeans, lol.

Seriously, I commend you & Juju [and everyone] who manages to make it work, through thick & thin, for better or worse.
But I also commend those who realize that staying together 'for the children's sake' isn't much good if they just make each other miserable.
Like marriage, everyone's got to find their own way.
The only advice I'd offer is that if you go for counseling, make sure it's a reputable counselor, and if their 'style' doesn't work for you, find another one - it's worth the effort.

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
Considering how I lit into you today, your response showed some real maturity. Good deal.

If I went around getting mad every time somebody had a criticism about how I live my life, I would constantly angry. Besides I stopped being a teenager a long time ago, hell I don't even remember what it felt like.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If one thinks that divorce leaves both parties happy and delighted, I don't think so. Usually by the time couples go to counseling, it is really over, imho.....been there..

When your young and someone tells you don't get married,,no one really listens. Your first spouse is really your starter spouse, then after 7 years, he or she finds a new one,,,........................preferably with money? The divorce rate is huge, sad, but its true. Four marriages in 20 years now is not uncommon, thats just nuts.

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
Well we had the conversation yesterday, I told it how it was, everything I had been feeling now for almost a years since the last time we talked about our problem, she took surprisingly well and accepted where we are heading if things do not change.

I got to say I was really surprised at how well it all went and how easy it was to talk to her about it without turning in to a shouting match or a nothing but crying in which nothing gets resolved and just feelings get hurt. Still from all that she said she told me, I have heard this promise before, I can only say that I hope she means it this time.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
If I were Catholic, I'd nominate your wife for sainthood - and not just because I think there ought to be a saint named Jujubeans, lol.

Seriously, I commend you & Juju [and everyone] who manages to make it work, through thick & thin, for better or worse.
But I also commend those who realize that staying together 'for the children's sake' isn't much good if they just make each other miserable.
Like marriage, everyone's got to find their own way.
The only advice I'd offer is that if you go for counseling, make sure it's a reputable counselor, and if their 'style' doesn't work for you, find another one - it's worth the effort.
Cheri...I've come to accept the fact that he suffers from hoof in mouth disease...*lol*

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri...I've come to accept the fact that he suffers from hoof in mouth disease...*lol*

Very funny. .....But Juju I 'm on Ken 's side ........its a guy thing .......Lol :p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app