is the any money doing this

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You can deduct a per diem any time you are on the road or sitting more than 50 miles from your home base.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Team Caffee. You will have more room for the 2 of you in a straight truck and some conveniences.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anything and everything required to operate your business is deductible.
It helps to consult a tax accountant to verify all that is tax deductible. I have a dedicated office space at home. The square footage, as a percent of the total square footage of the house, is used to calculate utility usage, which can be deducted.

Reactions: Treadmill

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are claiming 28 days a month on the road. And claiming a home office will that throw up a red flag?
I don't know. I probably have never claimed 28 days a month for per diem, at least not with any regularity.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started expediting in 1997 mainly to see the country and to take advantage of the enormous tax deductions that come as a benefit to this type of work.

The IRS audited me in 2000, 2006 and 2011. Passed all three audits.

After the last audit, I asked the friendly examiner why me, why 3x in 14 years??

She said the biggest red flag to the IRS computers are Home Office claims. They target that deduction more than any other.

I repeated that info to my tax accountant and that was the last time I've claimed offices expenses. Have not been audited since.

Reactions: Mailer and RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't understand why claiming a home office would be a red flag. The deduction is minuscule unless you are claiming your entire home as your office. I have been deducting office space for 18 years and never been audited.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also if you lease a unit you deduct that every month, if you buy it you are only able deduct it for 3 years
my sprinter van is lease unit from mb
if your looking for a van send pm sale them on side at tysinger Hampton va
also look in and see if a ceva station is near you
I'm home99.5 per cent of time

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
M.Moy start a thread asking to talk with other drivers for Expediter Services as you will get a better response.

Per Diem is days away from home and has nothing to do with income.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't understand why claiming a home office would be a red flag. The deduction is minuscule unless you are claiming your entire home as your office. I have been deducting office space for 18 years and never been audited.

This is what I was told by the examiner:

Claiming home exemptions is one of the biggest frauds perpetrated on income tax returns.

She said you can thank all the "home businesses" such as Amway and many more endeavors where the IRS claims that some entrepreneurs only sign up and to take advantage of the home office exemptions.

While the home office deduction is one of the biggest red flag, the IRS computer can't actually determine which of these are legitimate or not.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In years past it was pretty it was a pretty widely abused deduction. Starting in 2013 I think it was, the IRS greatly simplified the home office deduction. It still must be your primary place of business and used exclusively for work, but now instead of a complicated mess of percentages and stuff, you can claim $5 per square foot of workspace, up to 300 square feet. The deduction will be capped at $1,500 per year and the form for claiming it is simplified.

Reactions: schwanman