Is possible to heat a CV with an electric heater?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The real inconvience is with propane heat you'll be scrapping the inside of your windows everyday...you'll have the cleanest windows in town...

With the Big Buddys....you should use a filter....or the lines will become clogged with oil from the propane...

The oil seems to come from the hose, and not the propane. Mr. Heat sells a hose that doesn't create the oil problem, so you can dispense with the filter.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about explaining the mishap for us newer members! Knowing OVM, this should be good!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do I have this feeling that OVM's "mishap" response shouldn't be read unless four fire companies are standing by?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
How about explaining the mishap for us newer members! Knowing OVM, this should be good!

There are many things to learn here from others that have screwed it up first. You can learn where to go for freight, fixing your vehicle, how long your auxiliary batteries will last, why a hammock won't work for a bed, or how to safely run a propane heater in a van.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

The mishap was the crimp on the propane line became detached from the connector as I was just simply arranging the tank...hence filling the van with propane..luckily I hadn't a smoke going or it didn't break while going down the road.... Yes it was a simple accident but none the less a scary moment as I quickly tossed both out the door and got tank shutoff

guido4475

Not a Member
Do you guys feel safe sleeping with your windows down? I wouldnt...even if I was armed. I sleep way too sound...they could get my keys and have me and the van in the next state before I woke up.

With that in mind, Does anyone want a heck of a deal on a nice Cargomax? It comes with a co-driver as well ! ......lol...Physical location of van changes daily for viewing, though.....lol..

guido4475

Not a Member
I know it is alot of money, and times are not the best. But, if there is any way anyone can get an Espar it is well worth it. I used to be so against those things for so many years, saying things like, 2 grand buys alot of fuel, etc, or motel rooms. But, once you have one, you'll ask yourself how you went so long without one.Even if you break down in Bison, S.D., you'll always know that you have more than enough heat to stay warm for a few days.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I'm using the Big Buddy. After some thought and a bit of experimentation, plus no little concern about the possibility, however remote, of waking up dead, I decided to add a small fan to the festivities. The fan is a clip-on type, I have it mounted to the ceiling just to the left and slightly to the rear of the Shotgun Seat. It blows toward the rear of the van. The heater is on the floor under it and about six inches to the rear of the fan. Using this, I was able to keep warm without worrying at the lowest heater setting. The fan pulls air from the area in front of the seats (the windows are open about an inch and a half or so) so that gets a good mix, plus it circulates the heated air about as well as you can hope for. I have high hopes for this set-up, the fan shouldn't pull much power even from a marginal house-battery so this should work.

Keep this post updated, if you will, on how this is working or on what you do to improve things. Good practical info for future readers.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even if you break down in Bison, S.D., you'll always know that you have more than enough heat to stay warm for a few days.
Unless of course your breakdown is fuel related as in no fuel or waxing. I've got nothing against Espars but if I did own one, I would still carry the the regular Buddy Heater and 2 one pounders for emergency back up heat.

I've had a lot of experience dealing with extreme cold. If you have fuel problems then you also have APU and Espar problems. Be prepared for operating in below zero weather. Carry extra fuel filter(s), filter wrench, a gallon of fuel and fuel conditioner like Power Service, Howes etc. and of course warms clothes and a good cold weather sleeping bag, it could save your life. Also consider carrying the Buddy Heater or at least a few large diameter pillar candles.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I put a proheat heater on my daycab. Similiar to an espar.
It confused people.
If i woke at 05:00 in my hotel room, my espar went on at 05:00. By the time I read the paper and had breakfast the block was warm, the truck started easy and I had instant heat and defrost.
Moved it to my next truck. Have an Espar on my newest truck.
Will never have an OTR truck without one.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My daughter froze up at that little J on 76 near the Co/Ne line. -75 wind chill.
I explained that leaving could put her in a lifethreatening situation.
A vendor got her going with Power Service 911. The red bottle.
It works , and is designed for, extreme conditions. Don't leave home without it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless of course your breakdown is fuel related as in no fuel or waxing. I've got nothing against Espars but if I did own one, I would still carry the the regular Buddy Heater and 2 one pounders for emergency back up heat.

I've had a lot of experience dealing with extreme cold. If you have fuel problems then you also have APU and Espar problems. Be prepared for operating in below zero weather. Carry extra fuel filter(s), filter wrench, a gallon of fuel and fuel conditioner like Power Service, Howes etc. and of course warms clothes and a good cold weather sleeping bag, it could save your life. Also consider carrying the Buddy Heater or at least a few large diameter pillar candles.

Of course it's also a good idea to get fuel at about the quarter tank mark, but I won't go into that. :D

If you do a thorough cost analysis of an Espar heater, you'll find that it pays for itself in one winter for sure, usually about 3 months into the first winter. After that, it's just money in your pocket.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Watch it or you will be next to get my low fuel/cold weather lecture.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
plug in ur dimensions and here you go. BTU Calculator

My Mr. heater at 8000 btu setting kept my old one ton dodge warm so plug in your size of van dimensions. I use the no insulation value and it is right on target. 1500 watts of electric heat will not do it, way to little heat. 1500 watts may keep a bedroom warm at home, but a van and thin metal walls, no way.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Reminds of me of a time a few years back when I failed to treat my fuel and wound up at the Hook in Waterloo, IA ...

It went down to -26 below that night (set a record) and the Espar she no workee ... the heater booster in the Sprinter wouldn't fire off either of course ... so the heat from the van's engine at idle would only put out about 50 degrees at the vents ... pretty chilly ...

I was getting low on fuel so I pulled over to the fuel island and was (painfully) filling up the tank ... and then this GM/Chevy van from MN came flying in ... and some wild man jumped out ...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Randy! We were at the Hook in South Beloit and I was headed to Florida. Being that it was the first time we met, I spared you the lecture.