Is Panterii going to buy TriState?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could be, but what they were doing at the time with the lettering and graphics changes seems a lot to be doing if you're thinking about selling. There are less involved things that could have been done in the interest of keeping up appearances.

Whatever the case, I do feel bad for the drivers in the way it went down.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Graphics and name changes are small potatoes in the grand corporate scheme of things. All Con-Way business units were undergoing the same change. Plus the new name and graphics are still available for future use.

They started Con-Way truckload from scratch only to sell it and some years later revive it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I suspect there's a non-compete clause that will keep Conway from expediting again for a few years minimum.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I know on getloaded I see loads posted with the broker name
Conway Expedited service.But I cant find them on safer.and doubt that they are connected in any way

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think that Rich hit the nail on the head. This is a merger-mania corporate world we live in. Companies will be bought and sold, and the workers/drivers will be the last to know. Conway is gone, and obviously had a buy-out price. Does TSES have a price, I don't know. But I guarantee you I will not be told...
I actually kind of doubt it. Besides, why would TSES build a new driver/orientation facility, only to turn around and sell the company? This is the largest family-owned company in the biz, and they survived one hell of a knock-down since the parting with GM.

Many companies are fleet-team oriented companies anymore with the changes to HOS. But we still have team folks that are running 5 & 5! Duh?? If one wants to run legal as a solo, you need to work smart and hope you are with the best outfit to meet your needs and keep throwing short ones at you. That is why I run Canada... worst scenario, I get BNS'd out to Buffalo or Detroit. P2 is interesting for that reason, I'm told they have the freight going both ways, but I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around all those shadowed trucks.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Don’t think you have it correct there miss kitty it was Panther that didn’t/couldn’t honor the Con-way contract plus starved most the con-way drivers out. Con-way was just as strict on logbooks as panther. Any way I’m not getting on the band wagon again I’m happy now and too busy to bother with this crap. Its funny how like I said this thread is never going away as long as the cat keeps getting dragged in!

Alvin

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Could be: I think it would make more sense for Panther to get Express-1. They would get a nice under-used building and a terminal location in West Mi. & N. Indiana. Watch out Greg- you might be wearing a cat badge!

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well one thing to remmeber is Fenway did NOT go to Conway and offer them a price. The upper ups on the regular Conway side wanted to sell off the expedited division and they went to Fenway and offered it to them. From what we were told by some of our friends that worked in the offices, only two people in the Now side knew ahead of time what was going on and they were told that if they wanted to keep jobs on the Conway side to keep their mouths shut.
As for the guy who wants to keep lumping all the ex-conway drivers in the same boat, you need to stop. We are all not the same. And likke was stated bt Cheri and others Conway had it's good points and bad points too. Mainly the directions you got from them were the best. You were also treated as a human being and not just a number. It gets pretty bad when 2 different dispatchers from panther tell both you and your hubby that freight is so slow you'd be better off getting in seperate trucks and driving solo. That's low. Conway was strict on their logs as well. And I personally take offense that we were complaining because we couldn't confirm to panther's log rules and such. I have been a log book auditor for a major trucking company based in MI, and as far as I know, the rules are still the same know matter what company you drive for. Period. They are Federal rules, not company mandated rules.
As for panther buying Tri-State I don't think that is on the ajenda. Tri-State is a family owned company. Now I also know everything has it's price, but I seriously doubt they would sell out so soon.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is true. The reality is Conway was losing money and accounts.
Pretty much why they were shopping the company.
The greatest company in the world means little if they are unprofitable.
As for Panther, they gave them (drivers) a sign on bonus and honored their existing contract. None of which they had to do.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We were told that the signing bonus was given by ConWay, not Panther - but I have to say that Panther allowed all drivers to choose whether to Continue under the ConWay contract, or switch to Panther's. That was quite a generous gesture, I think.
BTW: I was envious of the cool FedWx colors in the sig lines, but we Panther drivers have had our 'colors' in the sig line all along - so there!:p

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That was the arrangement but Panther paid for it through the cost of the sale.
If Conway paid for it, they would have given it to every driver. It only applied to the ones that went to Panther.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It was common knowledge when they made the flat rate FSC switch. Some of it was posted right here on EO.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Well the fuel surcharge switch or fuel matrix that Conway liked to call it was because drivers were refusing to haul those low fuel surcharge loads like GE which the fuel surcharge was .04 mile when fuel itself was at or close to it's highest price ever. And Conway was saying they needed to do that so as not to lose accounts.

All that fuel matrix turned out to be was drivers subsidizing drivers.
And I believe Con-Way NOW was sold because it wasn't as profitable as Conway would have liked.

Also I don't think anyone from Conway mgnt. came on EO and stated it was sold because it was losing money.

Fr8 Shaker

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You first observation is correct, and it was known by many others. You are correct in that Conway management never stated publicly that they were losing money, or at least I never seen it or heard about it.
But....most in the industry when they see a trend can put two and two together. That is what I was referring to as far as EO.
All of those FSC posts are in the archives.
What no one really knew was how soon or who would be involved. Or at least not at the time all the FSC stuff came up.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Very true Dave they were losing money and accts. because when the drivers were turning down loads they would have to farm them out to other companies like panther and fedex anyway so they finally got fed up with it and sold it. Can't say as I really blame them either.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
What do you think that Panther, Fed Ex, Tri-State and the others don't farm out loads that they can't cover whether it's driver turn down or no trucks in the area. Were Conway drivers supposed to take these loads at a loss to their profit just to keep Conway in business.
I think not. You should really know what your talking about before talking. Instead of going for the popular vote.

Kiss Kiss,
Fr8 Shaker

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
well, i think everyone knows that we were conway to the end and supported them in every way from hauling their freigt to advertising to being in the booth at the show. i dont consider myself to know it all but i do like to think that i keep my ducks in a row. if conway was losing money and accts. it is also something i totally missed. i would like to know what other people knew of the sale other than the two at the now office that i know of and the corporate people that were obviously involved. not a sarcastic ? i would like the info for enlightenment. would be interesting to see how deep or should i say low it went. as for the topic ? at hand. i dont think tristate is for sale, ------------------------YET---------------------------------. given time , how much i dont know nor even care to speculate. great enphasis on the dont even care, and will elaborate on that in the next day or so. all i do know is that when it comes to the selling, closing or whatever, ron will make that choice.