Is Expediting a Business or a Lifestyle?

Is Expediting a Business or a Lifestyle

• Business

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Lifestyle

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
In roofing, you must have equipment and knowledge, and these things come through experience, time, and common sense.

Still, as a former roofer, I know what the #1 requirement is to be a roofer. You can not be afraid of heights.

Likewise, I've been investigating OTR Expediting, and from what I have gathered, the #1 requirement is to be able to live in the vehicle for long periods of time and stay in the seat, keeping the wheels turning. The ability to live on the job. Make it into a Lifestyle.

Others have disagreed with me, believing knowing not to throw yourself unmercifully in debt is. So, instead of continually being off subject on another thread, I dedicate this one to this very subject.

I just personally believe you can not make it without accepting that this isn't a "job", like you flip some burgers, then you go home, but this is your life, you are 24/7 in it. It exceeds a mere business or job, this is now your life.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are a long distance expediter who spends weeks at a time on the road I would agree it's a lifestyle that adapting to helps a person succeed.

I think when some hear the word lifestyle they picture someone who wants to deliver a couple loads and take time off to explore or such. Imho the confusion and comments come more from ones interpretation of the word than anything else.

Reactions: Solar and Grizzly

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You forgot option 3, it's both. I think the key point some try to make is that it is first a business and like any business one needs education and training and experience if they are going to succeed and do well. Many dive into this without bothering about the education and training. They think all it takes is knowing how to turn a key and turn a wheel. It's a very difficult business with LOTS of competition. At the end of the day, or often night, when the delivery is finished it morphs into a lifestyle. One has to be prepared and equipped to sustain and survive for days and often weeks in a row while living in a walk in closet. So both of your answer above are wrong. Choosing either one earns an F because it's both and has to be approached as both.

Reactions: jaxonviking

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a commitment. Ya, to the.....(please fill in blank).........

So unpredictable, Lol.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I agree it is both a lift style and a business, once you learn that you will do better, you have to plan everything you do
time at home, when to do maintenance, stop and smell the roses , keep track of everything you do
don't look at the moment , look at the end of month numbers
save money for maintenance, and when you are going to take off

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your replies are appreciated.

Well obviously it's both.
The point of the question was which is the better asset? The knowledge or the ability to live out on the road.

Seems to me, all the knowledge in the world can't make you successful if 2 weeks on the road and you need a month off to rest and rehabilitate. You're just not going to make it.

But to say it's both is like pointing to the sky and saying it's blue. Of course it's both.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you want to know if you can do it there's a simple test. You take a week of vacation. You almost completely empty a walk in closet, leaving enough clothes to last 7-10 days while you are "on the road" plus any down time supplies like cards, books, etc.. You get a cot to sleep on like the one you'd use in a van. You place a kitchen chair outside the closet door. You sit in the kitchen chair for 9-12 hours at a time, at random times, every day of the week. You're allowed to get up for a pit stop as required. You're also required to get up once and stand for 5 minutes by the bedroom door, then walk to the farthest point of the house and back twice, stand for 5 more minutes and then another two walks of the house before returning to the chair. That's filling the fuel tank and walking in to the counter. After your 9-12 hours of "driving" you can take a quick shower and get a quick bite to eat. Then it's into the closet for at least 10 hours before you "drive" again to satisfy the rest requirement. You don't do anything else, don't go anywhere, and after a week you'll know if life as a sardine suits you or not.

Reactions: ntimevan

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
Haha, that's so funny but mostly true. Despite being in expediting for years now, I wouldn't be able to stand doing your test, though. Having to focus on road conditions and driving, while listening to talk radio or chatting on the phone(hands free!) makes sitting for 9-12 hours at a time bearable. If I was staring at a wall twiddling my thumbs I'd go insane.

Reactions: NorthernBill

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you for got to add waiting for phone to ring for load offer or clink going off to

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting is for married people, if you are single it will kill your social life! Yes you can make connections on the road but try telling a woman you just got a load and are driving 1200-1500 miles out of town with no exact return date. They will never understand :rolleyes: