Is Everyone sick of people tooting their own horn.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I have seen so many post's over the last few months of people tooting their own horn to make themself look good. To be honest it makes me sick. I don't have to say any names they know who they are. I been doing this for almost 13 years now and I don't try to come off as a know it all in this business. I learn something new everyday, if it's from DaveKc, RichM,Terry, Dreamer, Mr Mccord, Teamcaffee,Leo or many of the other great folks that come here. So quit trying to make yourself look good because it's sick.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: Is Everyone sick of people tooting their own h

Sometimes it is not the message, but how it is delivered.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Yes I would have to agree Dave.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

While I may be a little different, (TOOT), with over 15-years of business ownership experience, (TOOT), it really doesn't bother me when people pat themselves.

While the experience is not in this field, it is in law enforcement and private investigations (TOOT), I believe I can bring a certain level of expertise (TOOT)to the table and I don't let those people with their self promoting attitudes bother me.

Then again I could just be better than anyone else. (TOOT TOOT TOOT)

(I finally had to try to be funny on here)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

That really wasn't that funny Chuckwagon. Sorry That would be like me telling you how to do so much in your line of work.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

Dave -

Read your own post - now that really made no sense when you said:

"That would be like me telling you how to do so much in your line of work."

What the heck does that even mean?

Dude - if got offended or if the level of humor was over your head then sorry, I guess I was thinking (TOOT) that my humor was easy to understand. Yet, my level of humor must be to high in this case. (TOOT)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yeah, it's about as bad as those who can't remember grandpa's good advice of "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all." and instead either start up something new or jump in and participate in a negative and inflammatory manner in something that's better left alone or ignored.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter

ok - I guess I am done here.
Did not mean to offend or for that matter ##### someone off.
I will just stay with the smarter discussions.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

The normal reason to participate in a forum is to learn.

We can all learn no matter how much experience we have.

Those who consider themselves "experts" have placed a great burden on their shoulders to live up to that hype each time they speak.

Heck, I still make mistakes and freely admit that. Nicole on the other hand is perfect. :+ :)

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Letzrock, you just cracked me up. Thanks. Cwagon, I have not agreed with some of your other posts but I am with you on this one.

Folks, people in all walks of life toot all over themselves. This business seems to see alot of that and I think it may be due to a few things. First, we are for the most part all by ourselves most of the time or with a co driver that most likely hears it all the time. Whatever "it" maybe. In any case people have a need to feel good and getting on here and tooting may help that. Whereas if they were able to talk to many people all the time and those people saw the performance, they may not feel they need to toot as often.

A second reason is that many folks come from other jobs where throughout the career they are told to "toot your own horn" no one will toot it for you.

Now the third reason is maybe they are trying to creat a good feeling inside themselves because of their uncertainty as to how they are doing. If folks read about them and pat them on the back they then keep doing what they are doing. If not, well they slowly analize their situation and get out because they realize they just are not doing that well.

Many things make and or allow a person to toot ones horn.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Why not just be straight up, you put everyones name up here you think is great. Why not put the names of those that have offended you and the posts that upset you? Political correctness?

Maybee I read this wrong, seems very negative and leaves many wondering ME? If so, than participate with your point of view agreeing or not.

PS some of the names that you posted I could show you posts where the person you mentioned frosted there own cake and ate it to.

No offense just facts as I have read them.

trhoades

Expert Expediter

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "tooting". Are you referring to people that offer advice to people who ask questions? If that is the case, then it seems to me there will be alot of questions that go unanswered.

If experience is the criteria for be able to offer advice, then I think that is wrong. Alot of times a person with less experience just learns from someone who has more. So to say that he is not able to answer a person's question is ridiculous. And in some cases a person can get lucky and teach himself a better way of doing something. In this business especially, experience doesn't necessarily mean you have been doing something the best way for all these years. Chances are that you learned something from someone else and stuck to it. Hearing everyone's input can make you realize a better way, regardless of how much time he has in the business.

Finally, everyone that is a member of EO has a right to post anything he/she would like to say as long as it isn't a personal attack or personally offensive to someone else. I also notice that you couldn't resist posting your years of experience, nice "TOOT". So maybe I am mentally handicapped or thick, but I thought your post was not needed. But as I said before you did not offend me so plz keep making yourself heard.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Gotta agree with Broom 110%. Instead of making it personal by stating who TOOTS, you alienate everyone by pointing out the few who have helped you; and therefore, everyone else TOOTS. I also agree that a couple of those you mentioned also TOOT. I'm not saying TOOTING is a bad thing. I've been known to TOOT, as well as a lot of others on here. To me, TOOTING tells ppl that our strategies have worked for us, maybe you can try em too. Now, TOOTING shouldn't be confused with constant BRAGGING. That IS annoying. But the occasional TOOT never hurt anyone. How do you prove you're successful without TOOTING? How do ppl know you've run your butt off, when most others are wasting away at a truck stop, without TOOTING? TOOTING gives us a sense that all ain't bad, and there's hope in this industry. So, TOOT AWAY!!!

Broom... got that recipe for Texas Swirl cake? ;)

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

yaaintdeadyet

Expert Expediter

At times tooting takes precedence over muting. The lack of tact or too much temerity taint's the value of talent regardless of it's message. Isn't the question really "toot or get off the pot"? If you've a wealth of knowledge offer it up with discretion seasoned with humility. Arrogance and wisdom make for poor bedfellows. Their offspring are usually mutant politicians. That's enough convolutin' for me. I know only this about tootin' my own horn, I'm not dead yet.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I Can't remember everyones name Broom. There are so many great folks on here, sorry if I upset some folks on here. Chuck I was talking about your work as a cop before you got into this business. You are find you can TOOT your horn anytime. Sorry if Upset some folks but I just had to say what was on my mind.

My post was about folks trying to make theirselfs look better than others. Last I checked we all put our pants on the same way, "one leg at a time". I'm no better than anyone that post on here and I don't act that why either. I just Don't like Folks that think they are better than others because they may have more or done more.

Let me tell you a ture story.

I donated my truck for many years to The womens board at Akron City hosp. They have a big yard sale twice a year to raise money for Cancer and breast Cancer. So each year they would hire Flex team temps to ride in the truck to help pick up all the things that people donated. So the one guy who had been doing it each year because he we blind. I mean he could see but he couldn't drive a car. So he did this each year to make Extra money to buy things for Christmas for his little girl who too was also blind. Well, we picked up a desk at one stop and he asked me if I thought they would let them him buy it for his daughter who needed a desk at home to do her school work.

I told him I really don't know. So he went up and ask the lady about buying the desk and her words just got under my skin. She looked a the man and said " don't you worrie about that desk you can't afford it anyway and you and your other flex team guys need to work faster".

Well, I didn't like the way she treated all these men and I thought that she was rude and a stuck up lady that thought that just because her husband was a doctor at the hospital she was better than these men.

So, I went over to her and told her she had 10 minutes to get all the stuff off my truck. She looked at me and said "you can't do that" Then I told her yes I can. Then she told me that she was going to call my company. I told her, well I have the number if you want it.
So she called my company and they told her that they didn't own the truck that I did, So if he told you that he means it.

So this lady came back to me with her tail between her legs asking if I would please stay. I told her that the only way I would stay is.
You know that desk that you told that man he couldn't afford to buy. You just bought it for his daughter for $500.00 and paid the money to the women boardright now. Then I told her that she had to buy lunch for all the Flex team guys because the way she treated them. I told her that was the only way I was going to stay and move all this stuff for them.

She did it but she wasn't happy about it. Then I told her " the toes you step on today may just be attached to the A$$ your kissing tomorrow". Then I Told her that just because her husband was a Doctor didn't give her the right to think that she was better than other folks. I think I really upset her when I told her that Truck driver's can make as much as her husband did or even more. Then she looked at me and said truck driver's don't make $100,000.00 a year. I thought that was funny. So I had to tell her that my one truck made over $151,000.00 that year and I have 3 of them. You should have seen the look on her face.

So the one man got the desk for his daughter and all the guys from Flex team got free lunch thanks To this lady that thought she was better than everyone.

Thats what I'm talking about. Well I guess you could say I was tooting my own horn. But that don't make me better than anyone in this world.

Dispatched

Not a Member

David Mayfield = Bruno

Why the name change ?

Funny you'd start a "tooting" of their own horn thread *cough*. I've set back and read these threads for many months and always thought you were the "tootiest" of all "tootiers"

keep on "tooting"

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Thanks for your post Dave Tucker